Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one's a keeper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:37 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with the 3 due to it being likely more engaging.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:51 PM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for an update on this thread... I've now had the GT2 RS for 2.5 weeks, put 500 miles on it. The Touring has a bit over 1200 miles on it, and sadly most of those miles were done before the GT2 RS arrived. In no particular order, below are my impressions of each car on a variety of topics, without going full DeMuro:
  • Steering. The GT3 is heavier and more numb than the GT2 RS steering, which feels lighter and definitely more communicative. Anyone know if they have different ratios? GT2 RS feels more darty on turn in, but not for a lack of precision. It's just more eager, if that makes sense.
  • Stiffness. Initially I didn't find a big difference in the ride, but after a few comparisons, I do think the GT2 rides a bit harder than the GT3. Not a huge issue for me, both are very firm for daily drivers to begin with, so not really something that makes the GT2 any worse for me.
  • Sound. GT3 definitely wins this category, the howl of that engine is just glorious. Both have somewhat annoying RPM controlled valve opens, which is more noticeable on the GT2 as there's a much bigger difference between valve open and closed with that engine. The GT2 sounds a lot better in person than any video is able to convey, however. It's just a different kind of sound than the raw naturally aspirated master piece of an engine. Outside of just pure exhaust notes, the GT3 engine just has a lot more going on, mechanically. Turbo noise in the GT2 RS is awesome. You can just hear the massive gulps of air going into the engine when they spool up.
  • Thrill factor. No contest here, the GT2 is scary fast, in the best kind of way. Even without driving them back to back, when I do drive the GT3, I feel myself getting a little disappointed in the lack of power (relatively speaking). I live at 7k feet, so the GT3 is probably down a bit on power compared to the folks at sea level. And this isn't just the different delivery of power, even taking the GT3 to 9k RPM, I still feel myself thinking "that's it? I swear I remember it being faster". Just doing a short pull in 4th in the GT2 RS and I still giggle like a school kid.
  • Daily score. The wide RPM band of the GT3 may be great for carving canyon roads (or the track), but it's hard to do 8-9k pulls anywhere else. Oddly enough, the power of the GT2 is that much more usable on regular roads. You don't have to wring it all the way out (haven't even done that yet), just a quick 3-5k pull is extremely enjoyable. In terms of raw daily factors, they are pretty much identical. Both hard, raw, and impractical to get in and out of. The fun greatly outweighs the conveniences for me, the greatest limiter in daily score is the worry of parking it somewhere. Where the GT3 is always noisy, if you do have to do a bit of highway driving, the GT2 is far more comfortable. 3-4k RPM highway driving with that kind of engine noise gets old pretty quick in the GT3.
  • Transmission. Really hard to compare these two, as they are both epic in their own way. Where I would never have the GT2 RS in a manual if it was available, the GT3 would be great in PDK as well. The GT3 6-speed is a cracking transmission, precise and rewarding. Purists might not agree, but I love the rev match on downshift. No-lift upshifts are perhaps even more fun, sometimes you get that ignition timing crackle that just puts a smile on your face. Windows down recommended. I've had a few PDK cars before, and it just keeps improving. It's super fun in manual mode, and almost telepathic in PDK sport mode. I grew up with manual cars and driving stick, so manual transmissions don't hold any sort of sentimental value to me. In terms of sheer speed, there's no beating the PDK, and I find myself driving the GT2 in manual mode much more so than I ever did any other PDK. The Touring is my first manual Porsche, and it's definitely the best I've had of manuals.
  • Looks. I initially got the Touring since I didn't want to drive around with a big wing. It seemed like the perfect Porsche GT for me, manual gear box, epic 4.0L NA engine, and just looking like a normal 911 to most eyes. Now that I've gotten used to the GT2, with all the crazy wings, ducts, vents, louvres, I absolutely love it. Dare I say it, the Touring almost looks boring to me now? The GT2 looks like it can kill you, just parked in the garage. Apparently I'm a sucker for that kind of drama. I love the more roundedness of the GT2, both front and rear. Honestly, I feel like it's the best looking 911 out there. The downside is that it does come with some attention. All positive so far, but I can imagine that perhaps getting a bit old in the long run. I don't always feel the need to talk to multiple people when I park on the street.

Just a short brain dump, you might be able to tell where this is going, I'm probably going to let the Touring go. The original premise of getting both was to decide which one was the keeper for me. Looks like the 992 GT3 will retain the cracking engine and also be available in a manual, so I'm a bit less reluctant to get rid of the Touring. There will probable be another one available at some point. Same is of course true for the GT2 RS, but that's going to be much further down the line.

If anyone is in the market for a mint Touring with (what I think) are all the right options, send me a PM and I'll share the specs with you. It's been immaculately kept and only (and often) hand washed. PPF front half, ceramic all over.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:59 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

You don't find the 2RS to be too fast to really enjoy on the roads?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:02 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by tonymission
You don't find the 2RS to be too fast to really enjoy on the roads?
Only in the sense that you get off the throttle while it's still pulling extremely hard, it's clear there's so much left in that bag. Getting off the throttle throws you forward, with the Gs changing and the engine braking as well. I can't wait to take it out to the track and fully explore it. I find it easier to enjoy the power of the GT2 RS on the road than the GT3, since the latter basically requires you to rev very high to be fully enjoyable. A bit counter-intuitive, I know, but that's my experience so far.

Maybe I'm just more of a turbo sucker than I thought?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:12 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Good for you! Special car, great price, and turbo probably makes a lot of sense at 7000ft (that's crazy altitude)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I would take the GT3 Touring over the GT2 (sound, engagement, etc.) and it would be an easy decision for me, but you need to do what’s best for you. The Touring will be an easy sell, that’s for sure.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 PM
dxbtousa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the run down and congrats on your decision. I'd make the same one, easily for the 2RS
Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 PM
customryder
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

gt2rs all day
Old 05-24-2019, 12:45 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

The GT2RS is an easy choice for me. I like my cars to be thrilling and the GT2RS delivers big time thrills in looks and performance.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:04 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I"m in a similar boat, trying to decide which car to get rid of between a .2 3RS, Touring, or a McLaren 570S. Every time I take a car out, I say to myself this is the one I'm keeping. I'm totally screwed....
Old 05-24-2019, 01:23 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

At 7000ft I would be unconscious. And the GT3 is putting out 395hp, not 500hp, which is considerable loss.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:38 AM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by bli8
I"m in a similar boat, trying to decide which car to get rid of between a .2 3RS, Touring, or a McLaren 570S. Every time I take a car out, I say to myself this is the one I'm keeping. I'm totally screwed....
There are worse positions to be in ;-)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:39 AM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by evilfij
At 7000ft I would be unconscious. And the GT3 is putting out 395hp, not 500hp, which is considerable loss.
You get used to it, and then you are a super hero when you get to sea level. I do wonder if being down 20% on oxygen means 20% down on power too, or if timing advance will recoup some of that? But certain, forced induction is generally the way to go at altitude.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:40 AM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hex
The GT2RS is an easy choice for me. I like my cars to be thrilling and the GT2RS delivers big time thrills in looks and performance.
Precisely! I came to the conclusion that there were two outcomes - one where I keep just the GT2 RS, or one where I keep both. There is no third option.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:07 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by knasman
I do wonder if being down 20% on oxygen means 20% down on power too, or if timing advance will recoup some of that?
It’s actually worse than you’d expect based on simple O2 loss. As pressure is reduced “effective compression ratio” falls linearly because there is less air to fill the cylinder. Power, however, falls off faster than pressure, which makes sense: as effective compression falls to roughly 4:1 there isn’t enough air to support combustion and overcome friction even if technically there’s still quite a bit of oxygen.

Your turbo is actually slightly down on power too as it operates on relative manifold pressure rather than absolute, but it’s losing only a small fraction of the NA car.

Quick Reply: Which one's a keeper?