Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Quick insurance question

I am currently waiting on transport for my GT3. Is there any reason I need my auto insurance to kick in now or can I just wait until after it is delivered?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by 1809
I am currently waiting on transport for my GT3. Is there any reason I need my auto insurance to kick in now or can I just wait until after it is delivered?
Thanks in advance!
Ask yourself this question: Did you pay for it and therefore own it?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 PM
Mike (Naples)
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's at a dealer, you're okay until the transport picks it up. If it's private sale, you should insure it immediately. Personally, I insure vehicles the day I buy them. You're not saving much by putting it off and, in my experience, things go through DMV easier when all the dates match.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike (Naples)
If it's at a dealer, you're okay until the transport picks it up. If it's private sale, you should insure it immediately. Personally, I insure vehicles the day I buy them. You're not saving much by putting it off and, in my experience, things go through DMV easier when all the dates match.
100%^
Why take a risk of the transporter having everything in order? How long would it take their insurance to payout? You’re adding an extra layer of protection and to me that’s worth the handful of dollars it may cost you. I did this exact thing this week.
If someone tells you otherwise ask yourself this....are they going to be there for you if there’s a deal??? You know the answer...
Best!!!!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:28 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike (Naples)
I too do it this way. Quick email to my insurance agent the day before I head to the dealership to bind coverage then cc finance with the temp insurance card the day I go into the dealer.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 608 Posts

insure now
best case if something happens, you have your own covered plus dealer and transporter coverage
worst case , you spend few dollars
Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 1809
Thanks in advance!
if you own it insure it.

you can’t insure a car you don’t own.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

Most insurance policies insure newly acquired vehicle for 30 days. That's to say, if you own a car that is insured with xwz insurance company that company, will cover your new car for 30 days without you reporting it.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Most insurance policies insure newly acquired vehicle for 30 days. That's to say, if you own a car that is insured with xwz insurance company that company, will cover your new car for 30 days without you reporting it.
True.

But it wouldn't hurt to call your agent in advance and give him the details.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Yup.

Same is true for many of the people who do winter hibernation, turn off most coverages, and turn back on in the spring. Even if you forget to call the insurance company for a ferw days, you're covered regardless.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,770 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

you can’t insure a car you don’t own.
That’s true, except you still might be able to pay for the coverage. Example, you give the VIN and all pertinent information to the insurance company and they will start coverage on just about any car, lol. Not sure why a lot of these insurance companies don’t ask for the bill of sale documents?

Now, putting in a claim might not work if you don’t own the car.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:37 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

When I called State Farm they told me they cover 4 days from the purchase date. Another thing to consider, if you finance thru the dealer the lender requires proof of insurance before it can leave the lot.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:52 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

My carrier is Geico and they cover for 30 days without a charge. It is true Porsche leasing and finance want coverage on the car but if you show them you already have a policy on another car, they may be satisfied with that.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the guidance and insight.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:50 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

^^^ This has been my experience. BUT if you stick with the "I've got 30 days" thing, you may be technically covered - but not necessarily covered exactly the way you want to be covered.

For new vehicles you can often pay an extra premium for "full replacement value" - an agreed upon valuation of the vehicle. The insurance companies that I've used do this, but typically just for the first year of ownership of a new vehicle. I have a new Porsche arriving in mid February and my (independent) insurance agent already has my VIN and the build sheet and is shopping around for me.

I recommend using an independent agent, btw, because they don't give a crap who writes your policy and are a tiny bit more likely to act in your best interest. If you call up your GEICO, State Farm, Allstate, Safeco, etc. agent then that's all they'll be selling you. Unless, of course, you prefer to personally do all that work...

HTH

Quick Reply: Quick insurance question