2018 GT3 vs 2019 GT3 on track- actively updating

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by erikerik
100 octane in the GT3 would definitely help it’s times.
Have you ever compared (to 91 or 93)? Would be curious to know if this is the case and how big a help.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wait, wait, wait...did you just say that the PCCBs were awesome...
Originally Posted by robmypro
C.J. can you explain more about the PCCBs? We always hear people claiming they are not worth it, so why do you like them and what differences vs the iron did you notice?
Maybe I'm selling CJ short but, I can't help but think from the perspective of a dealer, any expensive option is better.

I plan to keep my GT3 for life. From a pure cost perspective, I don't plan to spend $20k when I have to swap out every 100k miles or so when the stopping difference and feel is negligible from multiple reviews. I don't track enough to care about unsprung weight and, having no brake dust just doesn't seem like enough reason to pick the PCCBs at $7-$8k at purchase and $20k a pop for replacement thereafter. And, I'm not going to bring up the clash in color yellow brings about.

That said, it would be nice if a 991.1 GT3 was thrown in that mix:

720S- 1.47 (1.30pm)
GT3RS- 1.47.3 (215pm)
675- 1.47.5 (1130am)
GT3- 1.48 (1015am)

Thanks for posting the results CJ.

Dan (likes his red stitching, red brakes and, red tail lights)
Old 11-02-2018, 02:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Maybe I'm selling CJ short but, I can't help but think from the perspective of a dealer, any expensive option is better.
CJ has established his credibility on this board long before he was a dealer. I don't think you need to worry about his motivation in this case.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:26 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrantG
CJ has established his credibility on this board long before he was a dealer. I don't think you need to worry about his motivation in this case.
He has stellar reputation on the board. But, he's still a dealer.

Dan (can't help but think like a lawyer)
Old 11-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Yeah, you're selling him short. Way short.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:13 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeah, you're selling him short. Way short.
Okay.

Dan (takes it back and will assume CJ is being objective and waits to hear what he has to say)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:19 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't get how people spend money on Red brakes unless they are diehard track junkies... if you're not... the PCCB last forever... and the 'additional price' you get back in the sale price of the car, all day.

On cars that are 'by design' about 'adding lightness' as the GT cars are... Red brakes squeal, dust... and weigh 40 lbs more... not taking anything away from their braking capability vs. PCCB.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11-02-2018, 03:20 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Dan,

Always enjoy reading your posts.
Would be nice to have a roll call on how many people have actually driven their Porsche for 100,000 Miles!
Everyone always talks replacement costs but how many folks have actually driven their car to the point that they had to cough up the $$$.
And, there are alternatives if you get to that point for less money.
Steve (nothing further to say on the subject)

Originally Posted by hfm
when I have to swap out every 100k miles or so

Dan (likes his red stitching, red brakes and, red tail lights)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:27 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by orthojoe

But I just gave you a real world data point? Driver A in manual. Driver B in PDK. Same car. Same track. Legit lap times. Historically similar lap times between drivers with the PDK driver having an edge. It's not conjecture. I swear I'm not making it up. LOL

I'm confused. I gave you two 'mortals' driving the same track with similar abilities one manual and one PDK, and you blow it off as conjecture. Randy does the test and the cars are only 0.2 seconds apart and you blow it off as not reality. What are you looking for?
Agreed, not only was Randy within .2 between the PDK and 6spd Car... the 6spd car had Iron Brakes, and Sofa Seats! Where the 6spd actually in that test 'weighed more' than the PDK car. So... was the .2 the trans or the lack of LWB & PCCB?

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11-02-2018, 03:56 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
Dan,

Would be nice to have a roll call on how many people have actually driven their Porsche for 100,000 Miles!
Everyone always talks replacement costs but how many folks have actually driven their car to the point that they had to cough up the $$$.
Drove my first 911 for 52k miles, when I traded her in the dealer chuckled that someone finaly drove their car.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:56 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JSF101
Dan,

Thanks! I'm at 30k right now after three years. The last time I had steel brakes comparable were Stoptech on a 350z and, I finally had to replace the rotors at about 120k miles. I expect the same or so with the GT3. And, I was surprised when I had to change out Cayenne GTS rotors at 30k miles or so which I attribute to its weight. Oddly, on that vehicle, I'm now at 65k and, no brake change needed yet.

Dan (appreciates your thoughts)
Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It does not take any unusual skill to drive the Manual when using the Rev Match and No-Lift features. Takes a bit more if you do it on your own. The point is, any mere mortal with average skill will be about as fast in Manual as PDK when using the systems and if not using the systems you need to be better than average to keep up. Is there a chance that someone could botch a shift in Manual? Sure...
+1, the only advantage as I see it for PDK is the launch. I still feel the clutch in my .2 GT3 is not well matched for the car (too light and do not like the feel). Once rolling and at speed it can be shifted very quickly due to the rev match/no lift.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:28 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I don't get how people spend money on Red brakes unless they are diehard track junkies... if you're not... the PCCB last forever... and the 'additional price' you get back in the sale price of the car, all day.

On cars that are 'by design' about 'adding lightness' as the GT cars are... Red brakes squeal, dust... and weigh 40 lbs more... not taking anything away from their braking capability vs. PCCB.
I bought them mainly because of no brake dust. Yeah, I said it. Everything else is a bonus.

Did I mention I HATE brake dust? Well, I do.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:37 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Props to you for using Sonoma. The track requires maximum concentration and a very balanced car so I find this to be much more exciting than most other tests.

Don't let the people bust your ***** about the times. Hopping in n out of cars at diff time of the day, they're fine.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:51 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by fastmd

+1, the only advantage as I see it for PDK is the launch. I still feel the clutch in my .2 GT3 is not well matched for the car (too light and do not like the feel). Once rolling and at speed it can be shifted very quickly due to the rev match/no lift.
Agreed! I'm not sure why the clutch is so light, the GT4 clutch seems to have a better 'weight to it'. As for the launch... I never got to run against a PDK from a dead stop... but I was able to run a 1.77 60' at the strip in my Manual trans car.

Quick Reply: 2018 GT3 vs 2019 GT3 on track- actively updating