Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a real job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Sales, poor kid growing up, no silver spoon. MBA and Masters in IO, tough to make 500k incomes in most professions unless you own the company, VP exec or doctor. so I sell to doctors
Old 08-31-2018, 02:43 PM
gonefishin'
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
tough to make 500k incomes in most professions unless you own the company, VP exec or doctor. so I sell to doctors
Ain't that the truth!
Old 08-31-2018, 03:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

IMO, docs are among the higher earners who typically really do earn their high incomes. It's a very demanding job which I much have respect for. No, docs can't cure or effectively manage every health issue every person has, but that's inevitable given the complexity and variability of how human bodies/minds work, and our associated limitations of knowledge.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:55 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
And last I checked, 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency to become a doc isn't quite what I call an overnight success.
It took mere 17 years for me to be done with all training. Came to the states at 18, barely spoke English, received no college funds from anyone, and worked while at school. I still work hard now and do make a decent living.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:58 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
It took mere 17 years for me to be done with all training. Came to the states at 18, barely spoke English, received no college funds from anyone, and worked while at school. I still work hard now and do make a decent living.

born outside the US here as well. Congrats on your success. . Came when I was 8. Didn’t know any English other than “pardon me”

went to school the first day and anytime someone spoke- I kept saying pardon me?

Im sure they all thought I was a weird kid. Still am.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 PM
golfbrah
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finance / Buy-side / Investment Management by way of full scholarship

SOOooooo...how's your portfolio doing?

Planning to scoop up a GT3 but need to buy a place with a garage first
Old 09-01-2018, 02:11 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

+ 1. It takes a long time for a physician to get to decent earnings. Plus, the current insurance environment makes it very, very difficult. 99.9% of the US population has no idea how our healthcare system works. I have been on all sides.
^^This. Its very difficult to make a ton of money now on what Medicare and insurance companies pay, practicing honest ethical medicine. The best you can hope for is a good income stream to put that money to work somewhere else, eg real estate growth stocks etc.

J
Old 09-01-2018, 02:19 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

delete
Old 09-01-2018, 03:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I don't read any of the docs and "silicon Valley execs" here pining for the limelight. Just seems like a bunch of hard working folks who enjoy cars.

And last I checked, 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency to become a doc isn't quite what I call an overnight success.
I married a MD.
we went to HS, college, grad school / med school together (I am not a MD)
I watch her sweat and bleed.
MD is not as glorious as some of you think.
anything and everything that goes wrong, you blame the MD.
everyday they work long hours.
frankly we told our kids, I rather you be driving the city dump truck than being an MD.
I am glad I didn't become an MD but have lots of respect for the, despite the common jokes we all make about doctors.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:39 AM
Patrick wilson
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one can your job isn't real . Job scammers are experts at making the fake job offers look real by listing very specific job requirements. However, these requirements are often irrelevant and false. In addition, job-related skills are sometimes not included in the list of job requirements of the bogus offer. Real job offers are sent from a company’s registered email domain . Some experienced job scammers create template emails that are similar to the company’s domain but may include a hyphen that most people will not notice. Therefore, it is important to always be careful and look out for the small details.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:57 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick wilson
No one can your job isn't real . Job scammers are experts at making the fake job offers look real by listing very specific job requirements. However, these requirements are often irrelevant and false. In addition, job-related skills are sometimes not included in the list of job requirements of the bogus offer. Real job offers are sent from a company’s registered email domain . Some experienced job scammers create template emails that are similar to the company’s domain but may include a hyphen that most people will not notice. Therefore, it is important to always be careful and look out for the small details.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:29 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I married a MD.
we went to HS, college, grad school / med school together (I am not a MD)
I watch her sweat and bleed.
MD is not as glorious as some of you think.
anything and everything that goes wrong, you blame the MD.
everyday they work long hours.
frankly we told our kids, I rather you be driving the city dump truck than being an MD.
I am glad I didn't become an MD but have lots of respect for the, despite the common jokes we all make about doctors.
Reality of medical practice becomes apparent only after you are beyond point of no return.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:40 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx

Reality of medical practice becomes apparent only after you are beyond point of no return.
I take my hat off to the docs. Where would we be without them? Pet Peeve is they always keep me waiting and its not 5-10 minutes. If i did that to my customers, they would consider that rude. i know you cant completely work to a schedule in medicine but it seems like they dont try / care.

One of my best buds is a radiologist. He has the best life. They own their practice - 6 partners and they mandate that one is off at all times. So he has 12-14 weeks off a year. Makes a very good living with lots of time off. Studied long and hard and worked his butt off to get there but its good now. Plus it seems like less all nighters, emergencies etc. Radiographers can do a lot and he can do a lot remotely through new tech. But i am way out of my comfort zone in describing his field (or any medical field for that matter).
Old 09-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx

Many years ago, I considered a career change to medicine. Took all the premed courses and then some, helped with an autopsy, etc. I talked with a lot of docs, and nearly all told me don't do it, you're better off sticking with engineering. I wound up following their advice, and it was probably the right advice for my situation, but docs shouldn't overlook the fact that they have a very respected and honorable profession, and are compensated well for what they do. My daughter is considering becoming a doc, and I would support her going that route.

Last edited by Manifold; 09-01-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:32 AM
toddjude
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

energy trader in the process of opening a small biz
The following users liked this post:
Arthur Taylor (02-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Do you have a real job?