Sponsored by:

Wheel Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:31 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts
Default Wheel Repair?

Got a bit of curb rash on one of my wheels (no, I didn't do it). The responsible party wants to repaint/refinish the wheel instead of paying for a new one. I'd prefer a new wheel just because it's a new car and I don't want to deal with a shop trying to match the factory finish. I don't want one wheel a different color/texture/finish than the others. But... I understand the damage isn't altogether horrible.

Can this be "touched up" in some way or does the entire wheel need to be bead blasted and then powder coated? I'm just trying to weigh my options here.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

What are the specifics?.....who is the third party?.....a friend, a business?....to be honest it doesn't look like curb rash....looks like a slip of a tool or something....any pics further out?

My first reaction is the responsible party needs to buy you a new wheel.....
Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

The repaint never matches the other 3. Either paint the two on the same side if you must, or (what I would recommend) do some legwork to find a touch-up paint with the closest matching sheen as possible and just touch up the damage in place.

I agree though that whoever damaged the wheel should pay to replace it with a new one (since that's the only way to get it back to the original condition and undo their damage), then take back your old damaged wheel that they can paint and re-sell to recoup as much of their loss as possible.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had some whiskey dings on P car wheels that look like yours. Your dealer surely has a contact repair person who will buff it out and you will not now it ever happened. The last one I had was on a Panamera Turbo wheel and it cost $100. to make it look like new.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Here's what you do with the damaged wheel:

Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

In So Cal, there are plenty companies that will completely refinish your wheel and you'd never be able to tell it was repainted. There are also companies that will sell you a new wheel on exchange basis so you don't have to buy a new one at full retail. Like RFGGT3 suggested, your dealer will definitely have some contacts that can help you with this.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Dude, just do an airbrush repair. A good wheel guy will fix that and you won’t see it in 30 mins. There is a guy here in SoCal I’ve used on a dozen cars, and I’m pretty **** AF and it’s GOOD.

Worst case: you repaint or replace wheel, but i’d start with a pro touch up guy - use the one the dealer uses.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty OCD and I've used an alloy wheel repair guy 3 times total in my life and for $175 a wheel and 2 hours of work the wheel looks brand new.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I repair for both local p dealers , as well as the Lambo/McLaren/ Aston dealer. Dont be afraid to use a local pro , it can made an invisible repair, key is use the right people.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Damage was done by an automotive business. I won't say who just yet. But when the damage was discovered, they said they would take care of it. Once they saw the price for a new wheel—about $3,000—they balked and now they want to repaint the wheel instead. So I'm trying to figure out my options.

I'm in San Francisco, not SoCal. I'm not shipping a wheel back and forth.

I've thought about suggesting they buy me a new wheel, and I'll give them the damaged one to sell and recoup some of their money. I'm sure the wheel would make a good spare for a track guy.

Taking a look at the damage today, it's really not all that bad. But it's the principle of the matter. Brand new GT3 and a shop damages the wheel (probably from dropping a tool, not curb rash). And now they want to repaint the wheel on a brand new car and there's no guarantee it will match. So on one hand, I do think it's a silly thing to obsess over. But on the other hand, the shop should have a little integrity and stand by their work and their word. They did take responsibility for the damage. Just a matter of how to get the situation remedied. They probably don't want their insurance involved because as a small business I'm betting their deductible is higher than the cost of a new wheel. But hey... if you don't want to deal with situations like this, they shouldn't work on expensive cars.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:51 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 702 Posts

Normally I would expect my car to be returned to me in the condition it was sent in but this is so small I probably wouldn’t worry about it (at the very least just have it professionally reconditioned). But that’s ME, and everyone is different. Cheers and good luck
Old 06-20-2018, 09:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

You're lucky they own up to it. Too many shops have disclaimers posted about wheel damage and their responsibility. Remember how much they pay the employee that handles the wheel.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:07 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Why not let them try to get it refinished first? I understand it's a new car and a new wheel, but they will get chips, etc if you are planning on driving the car. See what happens with the repair and go from there. If you can't tell because the repair shop did a great job than it's a win win. If you can tell and it's obvious then push for something more. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Looks minor. Probably will cost a few hundeed bucks to repair. Figure the car is now christened and these are not trophies. They should certainly pay for repair.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:00 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by mwar99
Why not let them try to get it refinished first? I understand it's a new car and a new wheel, but they will get chips, etc if you are planning on driving the car. See what happens with the repair and go from there. If you can't tell because the repair shop did a great job than it's a win win. If you can tell and it's obvious then push for something more. Just my 2 cents.
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Looks minor. Probably will cost a few hundeed bucks to repair. Figure the car is now christened and these are not trophies. They should certainly pay for repair.
There's a difference between me causing damage to my own wheel and filing it under "the car is now christened; these things happen," and a shop damaging the car. If I curb my own wheel, that's on me. But I gave this shop MONEY in exchange for a service. That service does not include damaging my brand new car (that had 7 miles on the OD).

I think letting them try to repair the wheel first makes sense. Just as long as I have recourse if I'm not happy with the results... I don't want to be in a situation where the wheel is refinished and it doesn't match the others and then they're like too bad, we tried, looks good to us...

Quick Reply: Wheel Repair?