Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal

Must start this or it’ll never get done. Was hoping for an organized and comprehensive piece to get started, but no time lately due to a chaotic life and some family health issues as of late. In no order, I’ll be sharing random thoughts about my new GT3 that I bought on the spur of the moment when it became available shortly after getting caught up in Porsche’s PTS stop order (I have a Touring on order, long story that I’ll share later). Non-metallic Slate Grey (615) is one of a handful of personal ‘holy grail’ colors, and when I learned about this car I said yes instantly upon hearing sales person finish telling me specs over the telephone. Purchased from Champion in Florida. (You quickly get the feeling that they could care less about non-VIP customers, but my salesperson Nicole made up for that as couldn’t have been more professional and delightful. Although I do have to give Champion props because you’d have to search long and hard for a more buttoned-up dealer. They are a highly oiled Porsche delivery machine, and I dig that about them. To me, this is far more important than getting warm and fuzzies after a visit, haha.)

Car went straight from Florida to Phil over at Detailer’s Domain where it received everything that Phil has to offer. Paint needed a proper paint correction (criminal how poorly many or all of Porsche’s PTS cars arrive straight from the factory, major quality control issue IMO). After a complete and amazing job paint correcting the car, Phil applied a full SunTek Ultra wrap and top-of-the-line Nanolex coating. I had nothing to do with the products used here, simply asked Phil to give me what he thought was the best… what he’d do for his own car if cost were not an issue. Car came out fantastic. Kudos to Phil. He is a joy to work with too.

The options:
Slate Grey 615 $12,830
PCCB $9,210
Front Axle Lift $2,590
Bose $1,600
Full Buck Seats $5,200
Chrono Package $550
Platinum Satin Wheels $1,220
LED Headlights in Black $2,900

Additions:
Garry Hall’s Classic FX Pepita seat inserts
Crazy Eddie’s LWB Bolster Protectors
Clear front sidemarkers
911R/GT3 Touring Silver Centercaps

Fantastic overall spec in hindsight. The ONLY thing I would’ve done differently is add Brushed Aluminum Trim package so that it covered the doors.

Not quite sure where to begin so I’ll start by saying that this is one exquisite automobile. As close to perfection in a sports coupe as I’ve ever experienced. Not perfect in many ways (more on that later) but its most important qualities (like how it drives) far outweighs the negatives, in a landslide. This journal will start slow and full of frivolities like seats, color and options because I’m stuck in the middle of a ‘proper’ break-in period and cannot yet drive this car the way in which it was intended. And by proper, I simply mean that I follow the owner’s manual. Perhaps a waste of time, but if Porsche suggests to do something that could possibly affect the car mechanically, I’ll do it.

Coming from a 991.1 GTS (which I adored), I’m shocked at just how daily-driver material the 991.2 GT3 really is. It is much easier to drive versus my GTS. Suspension is very accommodating, I would say perhaps even more supple than 991.1 GTS. If not, it’s very close. May feel better just because it handles ****ty northeastern US roads without missing a beat whereas the GTS’s suspension tended to ‘crash’ a bit more over rough road surfaces. Also, steering and clutch are light (significantly lighter than 991.1 GTS) and this makes the car more enjoyable to drive. Turn-in is razor-sharp adding significantly to the fun factor every time you get behind the wheel, even if you’re stuck under 4200 RPMs. Light, highly accurate steering feel, unshakable suspension and perfect clutch and gearbox make this car easy and pleasurable to drive. I laugh thinking about proud, serious Porsche GT car folks who say that these are primarily track cars. These are street cars that are good on the track. And that goes for the RS as well. (This same crowd will also tell you that only buckets are suitable in GT cars. And even the thought of rear seats will make them cringe. Rubbish.) More on driving dynamics after break-in. This is a fantastic all-around car that could easily be a daily driver—even with bucket seats.

Now that we’re on the topic of bucket seats, allow me to offer my thoughts and rant a bit. They are awesome. Learning curve is steep as ingress and egress are a royal pain in the ***. Well, at first at least. You get quite used to this after dozens of drives and refined technique. (Quick aside: Was at local dealer today sitting in a .1 RS with buckets. Never realized they were different. They were a pleasure to get in and out of because the side bolsters around your hips are about 1-2” shallower. For ease of use I much prefer them to those in the .2 GT3. Still can’t believe how different they feel. They are only slightly more inconvenient than the sofas to use but seem as though they offer just as much support.)
It irritates me to no end thinking that Porsche doesn’t offer the folding buckets in the US. The rear is vast and empty (if you don’t have a cage). Extremely wasteful.
Overall, the sense of occasion, overall aesthetic and comfort (yes, they are comfortable but this is highly dependent upon body type) trumps their shortfalls.
One pet peeve. The seatbelts are the most uncomfortable ones that I’ve ever experienced. Constant almost heavy tension and the positioning is such that it digs into my neck a bit. They should be adjustable with lighter tension. I’ve never had a problem with any seatbelts in the past but find myself annoyed with them every time. Not sure if this is attributable to the buckets in any way.
Overall, if I were to daily drive this car (which I will not) I’d spec 4-ways 100% of the time because they too fit me like a glove, allow access to the rear and greatly simplify use. But for a fling and non-daily usage I’d pick the buckets 100% of the time. Takeaway: Seats are dependent upon the individual. Buckets, 18-ways and 4-ways should offer something for everyone. Do not buy buckets solely for the look, make sure you love them for other reasons too.

Color. I’ve been studying vintage Porsche colors for a year now. I take my color seriously. As someone who has only had black and silver and grey because I hate the way most colors look in certain lights (usually sunlight), I greatly appreciate colors which look great in all lighting conditions. Slate Grey fits the bill. I also like greatly appreciate the history of colors. If I’m paying a ridiculous amount of money for a paint job (father rolling over in his grave), it must be deeper than the color. It must be relevant to Porsche’s heritage. Slate Grey makes a very short list of colors in this respect. It’s elegant, stately, totally understated and dynamic with the slightest hint of warm green if your eyes catch it in just the right light. It looks amazing in the bright noon sunlight when the sun’s high above, warm late afternoon sunlight and in low light. Purely subjective but Slate Grey is a perfect color in my eyes. You will probably find dozens of greys in Whole Foods parking lot, but none like Slate. It’s common yet distinctive.
Like some other colors, it’s also very difficult to capture in photographs. And this is a good thing because it makes it less popular. Separately, the car was spec’d with Platinum Satin wheels which I hated the thought of before seeing the car in person. The dealer that spec’d this car knew exactly what they were doing. The combination of Slate Grey, Platinum Satin wheels and yellow PCCBs lurking underneath is magical. Like the Slate Grey color, these wheels too are very difficult to capture in photographs. Like the mechanical qualities of the car itself, the color combinations here are also near perfection. Not enough superlatives to do it justice.

Interior. To think I considered cancelling because this car because of rubber dash. That is a joke. And that’s coming from a leather nut. Leather everything is my style. The smell. The touch. But once you’re behind the wheel on the open road you soon figure out that little details such as interior leather and trim are just about irrelevant. In fact, I’d argue that the rubber dash fits the ethos of the car better than leather. I still admire the lines of the dash even without it covered in leather. It is a total nonissue. The one aspect of this build that makes my blood boil is the trim, or lack thereof. Some imbecile failed to pick a trim. If you’re not going to spec leather, be certain to spec a trim whether it be brushed aluminum, carbon fiber or leather. EDIT: The only way to get trim on the doors is to opt for Leather Interior. If you don’t, the doors permanently have plastic trim, and the only way to change that is to replace the doors. You can’t simply add trim. Shame on Porsche for this ****-poor design on such an expensive product. But even this is no big deal once you’re rowing through the gears. One other note about trim. To say I disliked the brushed aluminum trim in pictures and on configurator is an understatement. Now it’s my favorite. It’s timeless and elegant and, to me, the richest looking trim available on this car. Also, it should wear nicely (unlike the glossy carbon fiber). I like it a hundred times more than the dark anthracite from my GTS (standard fare for the Touring). Although, that was quite elegant too and would be my choice if you insist on an all-black interior. The leather trim is also quite elegant and underutilized.

I’ll continue this when I have more time, but for now I’ll leave you with some pics from a rushed photo opp.

Glamour shots from Phil at Detailer's Domain

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-24-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Plan on using this space to add additional pictures and some color on my original thoughts after I've had more time behind the wheel.

Forgot to mention a few options and odds and ends in my original post. Nothing that most of you don't already know or hasn't been covered hundreds of times before, but if I can help one person decide for their own build it'll be worth it.

Front Axel Lift. This is fast, highly effective and essential. Nearly 1,000 miles on the clock and not even close to scraping. Hit the button and in a second or two the front-end is raised. I would say that this is an important feature, especially for those who live in geographies that aren't flat as a pancake. And I love the sound effects when lowered. Makes me feel like I'm driving a semi. Hydraulics maybe? No clue but it is very cool.

Chrono Package. Total. Waste. Only clutters dashboard in my opinion, although I can appreciate the people who like it because it does 'fill in' the space nicely. Also, I don't like the ghosting effect from the plastic surround. Question for those of you with optional Dashboard Trim Package in Leather plus light colored deviated stitching, does the stitching create a similar ghosting effect on your windshield? If so, do you find it annoying?

Bose. After having Burmester in my GTS, the Bose is a letdown. It's not bad I guess. Fulfills its purpose. Considered radio delete for Touring build (just for a place to put stuff like my phone) but can't do it because there always seems to be times when I want to listen to music. Yes, the cabin is loud but not too loud to not enjoy music when cranked up. I suspect the Bose is important because of the added amplification alone. No idea how the base system performs when on loud. How's the distortion? With the Bose it's not bad at all. I'd get it again just for this factor.

LEDs in Black. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time obsessing over all four 991 headlight options. My favorites were the 991.1 Xenons with PDLS. Since they are not offered anymore, the LEDs in Black are my new faves. For this Slate Grey build, they are the only possibility in my opinion because the trim and housing works brilliantly with the paint color. Like they were made for each other. I don't like too many variations colors or variations in finish. Still prefer the classic look of the Xenons, but the LEDs in Black are becoming iconic on the 991 and are often a necessary evil. It's a shame that they are dumbed down in the US market. It's also a shame that Porsche changed the Xenons with PDLS, and made them shiny chrome versus black. I bet they did it only to sell more LEDs in Black. You know they're genius like that. $$$

Exhaust note. Not an option but... Pleasant but much quitter than expected relative to GTS. Little to no change with sport exhaust on under 4k RPMs. I think that's what I'm missing here. I bet it screams over 4k RPMs. I hear it when kick in a tad over 4k. Something to look forward to.

PCM or whatever you call the unit that houses navigation, radio, etc. Who really cares in this car, right? Really unnecessary but I get the feeling it's not great. I simply want Apple CarPlay to function. Tried setting it up a few times but gave up. Wanted me to download apps and enter information. Would be highly pleasurable to just delete from build. I think no roof wart would put me over the edge on deleting from Touring. At some point I'll try to sort it out but for now it's really not missed. Used Apple CarPlay in other cars and it's wonderful. But in this car you really don't want to be on the phone while driving anyway... (Seriously considering RADIO DELETE for Touring.)

What can be improved?
  • Less numb steering. Brilliant for an electric setup but lots of room for improvement. Bring back hydraulic or figure out a way to have more road feel communicated through the steering wheel.
  • Make driving experience more raw. I was let down here. And I don't mean more road noise, there's just enough of that. Not a lot different from my 991.1 GTS. A bit more clanks here and there but not half of what I had hoped for. Most of us wanted the 911R setup Porsche! More feel. More connection. More feedback. More cool noises. More the better and this has many but needs more. Single Mass Flywheel would be the perfect start.
  • Folding Bucket Seats for the US market. It's embarrassing not to have access to the vast rear of this car.
  • Offer optional rear seats or roll cage in US market. You'll only appreciate rear seats if you have young children. And if you do you understand that a large part of this experience is sharing it. Such a waste of space. This is not a racecar, this is a streetcar. Nobody appreciates and respects heritage more than me, but Porsche should reserve the 'racecar' theme for the PDK-only RS.
  • Coat the wheel wells a bit so you don't hear every single pebble hitting them after being thrown up from the sticky tires. This is not the kind of 'raw' that I was referring to above. Sound deadening and cushioning of some sort are quite different. This is an annoying and unwelcome feeling that your car is getting sprayed with rocks. Must be a way to accomplish without sacrificing any overall rawness. I will have something applied aftermarket if I ever get around to it and don't get used to the noises.
  • Manufacture doors in a way so that even people who don't want full leather interior will have matching trim on their doors.
  • Seatbelt anchor adjustability (like most every other modern automobile) and less tension when not braking.
  • Simplify adding phone for Apple CarPlay.
  • Simple heads-up-display with speed and tach
  • Purely subjective (like many of my babblings), but I think Porsche messed with perfection when modifying the rear deck to include those silly plastic air intakes. Don't get me wrong, they look ultra-cool from your rear view mirror or front side viewing aft. But overall, they are an eyesore. I do, however, appreciate the matte black finish on the ends of the wing. Good news is that the wing is still a thing of beauty, and Porsche didn't destroy the masterpiece with unwelcome appendages on the out back.
  • No silly headlight washers, and make US satellite warts optional and body-colored. Getting really nitpicky now.
  • Blind spot detection. Should be a law on all new cars. No downside.
  • Thicker and more ergonomic steering wheel. Coming from BMW M cars, this is one of the few areas where Porsche's inferior.
Other than these few items, many of which really don't matter at all, this 991.2 GT3 is pretty perfect.

Here are some pre-delivery pictures.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 07-01-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:15 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Congrats! The trim is plastic on the doors regardless of what trim you spec. Only if you get leather does the trim carry to the doors. I would me more purtubed about the lack of the extended tank, but I hate getting gas.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:51 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

evilfij: Thank you. And you're absolutely correct about the trim, only $3,480 for the leather interior buys you trim on the doors.

The standard tank (16.9 gallons) is not an issue for me since I don't track it and don't drive a lot so filling it up every week or two is no sweat.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

Congrats- would love to see her with Satin Aluminum wheels
Old 06-17-2018, 09:39 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jimmy. And congrats to you too. You're absolutely right about those wheels. The contrast would be stunning. Porsche's Satin Aluminum wheel may be the sharpest wheel ever produced across any manufacturer at any price. I actually considered ordering a set after purchase but prior to seeing the car... but once I saw the car I changed my mind partly because of cost but mostly because I appreciated the subtle contrast between the platinum wheels and the Slate Grey paint.
My pictures above are all **** as they failed to capture the color, with the only exception being Phil's pictures, particularly the one where he's spraying the car.
That picture is most accurate and gives you a hint of how amazing they appear in real life.

Check out this video. It is a great representation of Slate Grey for those considering the color, starting around 44 seconds. It also shows off the Satin Aluminum wheels.

And now that I'm somehow on the topic of Slate Grey... check out this cool video of Anand Rajani's Porsche 356C as seen on Jay Leno's Garage. It too depicts Slate Grey rather accurately, a hard thing to do. Almost bought a car from John Willhoit as a result of this video. Someday. John is a really nice guy and puts lots of passion and pride into his work.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-17-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:43 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Great initial write up!
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,572 Likes on 5,076 Posts

Love the color. Enjoy in good health.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:51 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Great post and pictures-its greatly appreciated.

Slate grey 615 is one color I’m considering for my GT3RS.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

slate is just epic, looks amazing, CONGRATS!
Old 06-17-2018, 11:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Glad you scored a nice one

Super write up.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

wow , not often such a subtle presentation for one of the pinnacles of Porsche's performance products , surely many here to admire and complement your package
to Sharing with your pictures and thoughts
surprised You're not giving Champion a 5 , i'm certainly no VIP customer but always have been treated with respect while receiving care in the delivery and service of my GT3.
Congrats .

Last edited by R.Deacon; 06-18-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:52 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 47 Posts

Holy Porsche Gods that is gorgeous. Definitely my favorite .2GT3 in this thread... from options to color choice of paint and wheels. Absolutely epic!

Enjoy and drive it. Still amazes me every time I get behind the wheel of mine. Street or track, always makes me smile. Such emotional cars that do so many things to the senses.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd even consider matt Gold/Bronze wheels
Old 06-18-2018, 06:03 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks awesome! Congrats.

Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal