Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:22 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts
Default Is the GT3 Right for Me?

Hi everybody. New to the forum. I've got a little bit of analysis paralysis at the moment. I live in San Francisco and don't need a car on a daily basis because I can walk everywhere or take Uber. So buying a car was never really on my radar until a few months ago, when I decided to get something fun for the weekends and getting out of the city. I also live near two tracks (Sears Point and Laguna Seca). I've done a bit of SCCA autocross and Solo when I lived in CT (Lime Rock). But nothing serious. So I'm not in need of a serious/dedicated track car. I'm a young guy and I can afford a dream car so I'm going for it.

That said, I know I'm "late to the party." I had originally narrowed it down to a few other cars and I have my—what I thought was—my top pick on order (AMG GTR). Configured how I want it. Scheduled for build in February or March. Delivery in May most likely. But I've been seriously looking at the GT3 the past few weeks. And the more I look at it and read up on it and watch videos about it, the more I want one. Especially since it can be had in a manual. I've only ever driven sticks.

Here's my conundrum. I have found a few GT3s on lots around the country that come close to what I'd be happy with. Not perfect, mind you. Like I'd have to compromise on this or that option. But no big deal. However the thought of paying a huge ADM to get a car that isn't exactly how I want it is something to think about. But I could get the car "now." Option 2 is I've found a couple dealers with open allocations. I'd have to wait a bit longer to get a car, but it would be how I want it. The third option is to stick with the AMG GTR. If I go with a GT3 build allocation, it will be much more than the AMG GTR. By about $30K most likely, given all the crazy ADMs. I'm not too concerned with retained value as whichever car I get, I plan to keep for many years.

Can the GT3 make a good semi-daily? Or is it really all about the track? I chose the AMG GTR out of all my other choices because it seems to be good on the street as well as the track. And it's seems to be a beast. But something about the GT3 is calling my name.

I know this is a Porsche forum, so everyone's gonna say GT3. I'd just love to know how this thing does on normal roads. Is it too much for driving around coastal roads and highways and through the city (to get out of town)? I'm guessing the 4 or 18-way seats are better for daily driving than the buckets. The buckets look really cool though!

From what I've learned, the AMG GTR might be a tiny bit faster around a track. But the GT3 is more fun and emotional and more driver connection. Also for what it's worth, all the Porsche dealers I've spoken with have been super nice and knowledgable.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts
Default AMG

My 2 cents.............The AMG will not be as durable as the reliability of AMG cars are absolutely terrible and costly (over engineered based on my AMG ownership experience of 5 years), as time down in the shop is just like money even under warranty. Depreciation, although not a main concern, also is an issue as it will drop like a rock, probably 50% in 2-3 years. GT3 is much better curve. As far as a semi daily or even part time car, you need to determine which seat of the 3 options and that will tell you if possible. Also if possible drive one of the 991.1 GT3 to see if it really is for u) Good luck in your purchase!

Last edited by abiazis; 01-04-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 80 Posts

Buy the AMG GTR, then get on a list for a possible 2019 GT3 closer to MSRP.

The Benz is by all accounts an amazing car and you won't be disappointed. It's also specced exactly how you want it, coming in a few months and noticeably less expensive.

Don't let hype cloud your judgment. There is a reason you decided to order that car in the first place.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Between the AMG GTR and a 991.2 GT3, in my opinion there is no comparison. The GT3 is the car you want. The 991.2 GT3 with manual is awesome. It is raw, engaging and fun to drive. I have had my 991.1 GT3 for 2 years and I still get excited every time I reach for the keys. It is a great car! The GT3 can be driven daily, although that depends a lot of the quality of roads you have, and the seats. My 18-way seats are really idea for mainly street use, but if I were tracking it regularly/primarily, the LWB seats are the way to go. I have over 22,000 miles on mine, and it is awesome on the roads. Long trips in the 18-ways are no problem at all. It is perfect for coastal roads, highways, etc. Very well behaved on the street, and a monster on the track. I have had mine on the track and the 18-ways keep me in the seat well, but again...frequent trips to the track and you should consider the LWB. For occasional track use, I like the 18-ways.

The AMG GTR "might" be quicker around certain tracks for a lap or two, but the GT3 will do consistent laps over and over. It is a workhorse. And...9k RPM shifts. Awesome! Besides, Porsche REALLY stands behind their products. If you are keeping it for many years, you will be in good hands.

Good luck with your decision, but in my opinion you need to get a GT3. It is just incredible. It is calling your name, and you need to listen! Nothing even comes close in this general price range. The most important thing is to get the car spec'd the way you want it. If you have one or two minor things that are not on the lot cars, then go for it. But this is going to be your baby for a long time. Get the right color, right options, and then drive the **** out of it.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Like you said, this is a Porsche forum. Have you been to the MB forum?

I do have a friend who is an MB guy, and he has the AMG GTR. Ugly green, the whole nine yards. He absolutely loves it, and cannot fathom why on earth I would buy the GT3 over the GTR. Test drive both, buy what your heart tells you to, then never return to whatever forum is for the car you didn't buy.

Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
LVMCars (12-01-2020)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I have both. Either one will be a great choice. If its your dream car, then just choose the one that "talks" to you the best.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:52 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

In the past, what type of cars have you daily driven? I think that has a big impact on what is acceptable for you as far as stiffness, scraping, ride comfort, noise, etc. If you came from a Camry, then no. If you came from a Viper, well yes.

For me, any 991 GT3, including RS, could be daily driven especially with sofa (non bucket) seats. They can be ordered with heated seats, nice stereo, nose lift and other comforts. Then on the weekend, you can drive to Sonoma and drive on track and be wow'd. It might be worth considering a PDK though if you want to drive it in the city more often.

I'd also look towards waiting on an allocation to build the car exactly as you want. In the next few months, I expect the ADM's will start to drop.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:00 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Performance- Very close on track , GT3 has manual option, turbo vs NA, turbo's easier to make more power cheaper, NA has awesome throttle response and sounds amazing especially at 9k, rolling race GTR all day, from a dig GT3
Drivability- very close also, depending on seats, GTR might have more gadgets to play with, GT3 all about the business(simplicity)
Depreciation-Not even close, GTR will drop like a rock, GT3 will hold value very long
Reliability- Who knows, they all have their problems but Porsche really stands by their products and takes care of their customers
MSRP to MSRP and equal builds, these two cars are at the top of the list at their pricing and are very much equal, but do it in two totally different ways. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:01 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

On the lot builds can be had at $10k ADM, that’s not bad if one you see is close to what you want.

As far as daily driving, I daily drove an Elise and a Defender 90 softop at various points in my life and daily drove my 993 C4 cab this summer so I think the GT3 will be downright cushy.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:06 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I DD my GT3, no issues. Buy what you want, it's your money.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:13 PM
David Carp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2015GT3 and live north of you on the coast. I pretty much only drive my car on the coast roads. I am also a lot older than you and the added noise of the rougher road surfaces and jostling do not bother me.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:25 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Thanks for the help, folks!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can test drive any of these cars. Nobody local has one. And my decision would need to be fairly soon as the GTR build date is fast approaching. I've not driven either car. But I have sat in and rev'd the GTR. It felt like a good fit. But I think the GT3 is more sporty and youthful from what I can tell in photos and video. The GTR seems more refined and polished. The GT3 seems like it might be more raw and visceral. Either buy will be "sight unseen" for all intents and purposes. I'm taking a leap of faith with either one.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have both. Either one will be a great choice. If its your dream car, then just choose the one that "talks" to you the best.
That's the problem. I'm a gear head, like all of you here. So every car "talks" to me lol. I want them all.

Originally Posted by ChrisF
In the past, what type of cars have you daily driven? I think that has a big impact on what is acceptable for you as far as stiffness, scraping, ride comfort, noise, etc. If you came from a Camry, then no. If you came from a Viper, well yes.
Well I'm a bit embarassed to say, but... I've only ever had one car my entire life. I bought a Lexus IS300 with a stick freshman year in college. Had it for about 10 years. Sold it when I moved to San Francisco a few years ago because I didn't need a car. But I'm in a position now where I can get an awesome car without it being a financial concern. My IS300 was all done up with adjustable coilovers and other suspension work to make it a bit better on a track. It was never a race car. But very fun to drive.

It might be worth considering a PDK though if you want to drive it in the city more often.
Yeah, lots of hills here. But I didn't seem to have any problems with my IS300 5-speed. I'm up for a challenge haha.

I'd also look towards waiting on an allocation to build the car exactly as you want. In the next few months, I expect the ADM's will start to drop.
Well I might have a lead on an allocation for this spring. But I'm sure it will have a high ADM still.

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Performance- Very close on track , GT3 has manual option, turbo vs NA, turbo's easier to make more power cheaper, NA has awesome throttle response and sounds amazing especially at 9k, rolling race GTR all day, from a dig GT3
Drivability- very close also, depending on seats, GTR might have more gadgets to play with, GT3 all about the business(simplicity)
Depreciation-Not even close, GTR will drop like a rock, GT3 will hold value very long
Reliability- Who knows, they all have their problems but Porsche really stands by their products and takes care of their customers
MSRP to MSRP and equal builds, these two cars are at the top of the list at their pricing and are very much equal, but do it in two totally different ways. You can't go wrong with either.
Sounds about right. It's just really hard to make a decision. I think I'm leaning toward the GT3, though, just based on retained value alone, even though I plan on keeping whichever one I get for a long time. And it comes in a manual, which I feel like would just be more fun to drive.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:26 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by David Carp
I have a 2015GT3 and live north of you on the coast. I pretty much only drive my car on the coast roads. I am also a lot older than you and the added noise of the rougher road surfaces and jostling do not bother me.
Great, thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Oh, I found one locally. I'm gonna go check it out in person tomorrow to see if it tickles me in all the right spots
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

991 gt3 drives super comfortable. IMO. Cadillac comfortable to me.
Everyone is different on what's comfortable. AMG's of the past (last one i have driven was c63) was more comfortable then my sofa. Mind you my sofa is mid-century modern.

Get a ride if you can from locals on each car and see what you like best. IMO.

Theirs a reason why theirs a high turnover on GT3's (besides flipping). It's that fact that it sometimes "too much" for most, surprisingly.

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 Right for Me?