Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Ok, I just went to check out the GT3 at Carlsen.

Guys... as soon as I walked in and saw it there, I knew it was the one. The AMG GTR is sick. But the GT3 is something else. I knew instantly it's the one. Chalk wasn't really one of the colors I was interested in, but it looks great in person. I also know what y'all were talking about when y'all said it can be too much car for some. It is a proper sports car. The bucket seats, while gorgeous with the carbon fiber and leather, are quite... rigid. I'm a tall guy and I would prefer a little more angle to the back. So I would opt for the 4-way or 18-way seats. I need to be able to recline a bit.

Everything else about the car was damn near perfect. The ADM is high. But even with that, it's about the same price as the AMG GTR. So not outside what I'm willing to spend. However, the seats are a deal breaker. I don't want to buy a car like this and then not want to drive it because my back hurts.

So... I will hunt for an allocation I can configure. I'll follow up on the leads I found and see what the timeline looks like. Outside that, I'll see what I can find on lots.

This car is really something. Breathtaking in person.
Like I said, the GT3 is awesome. All you had to do was get up close and personal to see it. Proper sports car. Good call on the seats. For track, definitely get the LWB seats. But if the bulk of your miles will be on the street, the 18-ways are great. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:36 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Like I said, the GT3 is awesome. All you had to do was get up close and personal to see it. Proper sports car. Good call on the seats. For track, definitely get the LWB seats. But if the bulk of your miles will be on the street, the 18-ways are great. Good luck with your search!
Yeah, in person the car really does look different than in photos. When I look at the AMG GTR in person I'm like... ok sweet car. But the GT3 is legit drool worthy. I didn't want to leave the dealership. I would've pulled up a chair and just sat there starring at it.

The bulk of my driving will be on the street. Not "city" streets. But driving around Northern California coastal, mountain, and forest roads. If the buckets reclined, I'd be ok with them I think.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

I’m a porsche nut and a track guy. Have had about 15 of them. The 991 GT3 is an incredible machine, but it is NOT really a semi-daily driver except for nuts like me and wackos on this board. It’s loud, raw, uncomfortable, stiff, and bouncy. You can’t take a date to dinner in it or take a work call on the cell in it without everyone asking you if you are on a roller coaster.

You can’t get over a 4 inch culvert in a driveway. The tires don’t last, the stereo sucks. At low speeds, the lwfw sounds like a spoon in the garbage disposal.

Go drive one before you buy. The glamorous mag reviews are for wackado track guys. It’s a sublime orgasm on the track, but borderline for a street car.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Yeah, in person the car really does look different than in photos. When I look at the AMG GTR in person I'm like... ok sweet car. But the GT3 is legit drool worthy. I didn't want to leave the dealership. I would've pulled up a chair and just sat there starring at it.

The bulk of my driving will be on the street. Not "city" streets. But driving around Northern California coastal, mountain, and forest roads. If the buckets reclined, I'd be ok with them I think.
I hear you! Two years later and i still look back every time i park mine. Probably the best looking 911 ever made imo. A lot of love went into these cars, and it shows everywhere (inside and out). You won’t ever regret owning one. I passed on the LWB seats for the same reason. I can drive mine for 5 to 6 hours straight and not have a sore back at all. I have to remind myself to stop. Heated, infinitely adjustable and super comfortable. For the street, 18-ways are the easy choice.

A piece of advice. If you plan on keeping the car for many years, don’t go cheap on the interior. Lots of leather, carbon fiber, etc. Do it right. The luxury matters when you are driving it a lot. It should be high end imo. I also really like the ceramic brakes. Perfect for the street.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:53 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
TT is great, but it’s PDK.
Lmao. This sub forum went from #savethemanual to #deathtopdk

PDK is still the gold standard of DCT and I am happy they started offering it on the 991 gen GT3. Can totally understand the passion and enthusiasm for the return of the manual, but that does not take away from what is IMO an amazing transmission and is no less of a gearbox than the manual!!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
I’m a porsche nut and a track guy. Have had about 15 of them. The 991 GT3 is an incredible machine, but it is NOT really a semi-daily driver except for nuts like me and wackos on this board. It’s loud, raw, uncomfortable, stiff, and bouncy. You can’t take a date to dinner in it or take a work call on the cell in it without everyone asking you if you are on a roller coaster.

You can’t get over a 4 inch culvert in a driveway. The tires don’t last, the stereo sucks. At low speeds, the lwfw sounds like a spoon in the garbage disposal.

Go drive one before you buy. The glamorous mag reviews are for wackado track guys. It’s a sublime orgasm on the track, but borderline for a street car.
It can be pretty loud, which is a major plus to me. Mine is super comfortable, so it could be the condition of our roads, or the 18-ways. Definitely an awesome date car! I do agree talking on the phone is not advised! The front lift takes care of any challenges i have around here. I could total daily drive mine, well except for the snow!

The following users liked this post:
LVMCars (12-01-2020)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

PDK is still the gold standard of DCT and I am happy they started offering it on the 991 gen GT3. Can totally understand the passion and enthusiasm for the return of the manual, but that does not take away from what is IMO an amazing transmission and is no less of a gearbox than the manual!!
+1000
Old 01-04-2018, 11:02 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

Agreed! If I were to drive a GT3 on the track even semi-frequently (3-4 times a year) I would go with PDK. Otherwise, I think I can have more fun with the manual on the street vs the PDK since it's a tad slower and more engaging. If the new TT(S) came in a manual I would have (likely) bought that car over the Spyder... though I absolutely love the Spyder! I couldn't daily any of these types of cars (not even an M4 anymore after having it) though. I prefer an SUV (Jeep/Rover) for daily use as it's easy to get in/out of and convenient. I could never live in a city (single residence) for the car habit alone.
The following users liked this post:
LVMCars (12-01-2020)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:07 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry OP. I have nothing to add besides what was said. My experience has been in a .1 GT3 on a few test drives but this comment is my thought exactly. LOL
Old 01-04-2018, 11:13 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

I don't think any dealership would hand me the keys to a new GT3 for a test drive. I personally wouldn't want to buy a $200,000 car that had been used as a demo car. I could find a used 991.1 to test drive though.

I won't be taking any dates to dinner in any car I buy right now since I live in a major walking city. NYC, SF... no need for a car to get around in either. Most people walk, Uber, or take the subway/BART. Would be weird to take a $200K car out to meet a date at the local ramen joint, just to park it on the street after driving 5 blocks haha. This car will be for me to drive out of town. That said... an hour or two at a time in the car on twisty roads or a highway is definitely something I'd be doing. Is the GT3 a no-go for that?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Sorry OP. I have nothing to add besides what was said. My experience has been in a .1 GT3 on a few test drives but this comment is my thought exactly. LOL
Was your impression with the .1 that it was too much for the street? Too stiff, bouncy, uncomfortable? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm a young guy and willing to put up with noise and a sporty ride. But I don't want it to feel like a dedicated track car that I'd be insane to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and up the PCH.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:19 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I don't think any dealership would hand me the keys to a new GT3 for a test drive. I personally wouldn't want to buy a $200,000 car that had been used as a demo car. I could find a used 991.1 to test drive though.

I won't be taking any dates to dinner in any car I buy right now since I live in a major walking city. NYC, SF... no need for a car to get around in either. Most people walk, Uber, or take the subway/BART. Would be weird to take a $200K car out to meet a date at the local ramen joint, just to park it on the street after driving 5 blocks haha. This car will be for me to drive out of town. That said... an hour or two at a time in the car on twisty roads or a highway is definitely something I'd be doing. Is the GT3 a no-go for that?
Especially coming from your Lexus into a car of this caliber and price (both the GTR and GT3), I would highly recommend spending some seat time in both. Either a .1 for the GT3 or if a fellow Bay Area Rennlister could help you out. There is no shame if one or the other isn't a good fit, this is all personal to you and your taste and comfort. For this kind of coin I was 1000% sure on what I wanted IMO and you should be too, so that you spend time just enjoying the car and not stressing or worrying if you made the right choice. I have a GT3 coming and I will say I absolutely love the GTR from what I've seen. More of a grand tourer, with an absolutely gorgeous interior and great noise. Wouldn't rule it out in your case, it actually might be the more rare car in the Bay Area. Feels like a sleeper compared with the GT3. If I wasn't a die hard 911 fan I would have given the GTR a hard look.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

You can live with any car on the street if you are determined.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not many true sports cars in today’s market. The GT3 is one of the few left.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 PM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you driven or been in the AMG R. The reason why I am asking ,is a friend of mine got one of the first AMG-GT's, I could not believe how bad the car rode, I would think the R would be worse. I remember thinking as I got out ,they could not give me that car, I did not what to say anything to my friend and burst his bubble so I kept my mouth shut. About a month later I was at his house and said where's the AMG-GT, he said oh I got rid of it, he said it rode so bad I could not take it anymore. I thought ah ha,I know what your are talking about. He owned it for about a month. In my opinion my GT-3 rides much better, and for the type of driving you talking about on twisty roads and the highways up in the Bay Area I think you would love it!

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 Right for Me?