Sponsored by:

Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:12 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
because most ppl can't do it right so they dwell on heel and toe whch they also cannot do it right. if you got heel and toe right, you got it right then you wont dwell over it again and again... it's like once u actually can do advanced mathematics, you wont be discussing how fast u can recite the multiplication table anymore.

i am not sure why heel and toe is so fascination. i didnt know how to do it when i learned to drive at 16. i heard of it. so i took my dad's 84 G body out and in about 40 min, i got it down and can also double clutch up and down in his POS beetle in a week. it's NOT THAT HARD.
THIS is exactly why I'm fed up with MT and want to take my driving to the next level with PDK. MT is just no challenge anymore. Honing my track skills, braking points, apexes, exits, car balance is my challenge now.
Give me some more decades to master those somewhat, maybe then I will put MT back into the equation to mix things up again, who knows.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:13 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

if u love 9k rpms technology why not being fascinated by a pair friend as fast as a pdk-s and left leg braking ?

its crazy and totally incompetent comparing a pdk-s to the granma prius cvt auto gears for dummies

either a manual can be driven by a foolish teenager
Old 11-16-2017, 08:15 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

I guess I would say that I have experienced PDKS in my 991.1 GT3. There will constantly be improving technologies with regards to PDK and I will once again appreciate those advances in future models. 99% of my GT3 driving is as a daily commuter car to work and back. In my situation, I found the PDK a bit boring to use on regular surface streets. I can totally understand its advantages on the track. I never did care for PDK-equipped powertrain's clunkity-clunk-clunk under normal driving circumstances. I nearly always had to drive my GT3 in manual mode to avoid it. Having driven a 991.1 GT3 for nearly 3 years and 16680 joyous miles, it's time for a change. Of course, the fact that I have a 2018 Ferrari 488GTB arriving in Feb did factor in my decision to stick with manual (pun intended).

However, I DO feel that the manual transmission has nearly perfected itself technologically and that this is likely the most modern iteration of manual transmission, clutch technology, and gearshift feel coupled with a sophisticated modern day race engine. Likely, these ingredients won't be around much longer inevitably.

Therefore, it's probably better to at least experience what will likely be one of the last (and therefore best) manual transmission-equipped automobiles for likely the last time possible...and spec it the way I wanted it to be.

There WILL be PLENTY of PDK cars for the future...GT cars and otherwise....and they WILL most likely be better than the current ones...
Old 11-16-2017, 08:43 AM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Totally agree that.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
THIS is exactly why I'm fed up with MT and want to take my driving to the next level with PDK. MT is just no challenge anymore. Honing my track skills, braking points, apexes, exits, car balance is my challenge now.
Give me some more decades to master those somewhat, maybe then I will put MT back into the equation to mix things up again, who knows.
well if MT is no challenge, then it should require no thought or effort as you hone your track skills.

I guarantee all these MT gods who can perfectly rev match all their shifts while threshold braking aren't actually even close.

to heel and toe is not that hard. to do it almost perfectly every time between every gear and at various brake pressure is not so easy.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

^
Exactly
Old 11-16-2017, 10:02 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well if MT is no challenge, then it should require no thought or effort as you hone your track skills.

I guarantee all these MT gods who can perfectly rev match all their shifts while threshold braking aren't actually even close.

to heel and toe is not that hard. to do it almost perfectly every time between every gear and at various brake pressure is not so easy.
In a manual GT3 you just hit sport and it rev matches for you.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Who cares. Just be thankful that Porsche offered you both choices. Those of us who are fortunate enough in life to actually afford one of these machines is a rare thing today. As such, I feel blessed that I have the opportunity to own one.

Thank goodness they don't offer it in only one color...

They are choices; celebrate that, don't debate it.

- Chris.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,827 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
Who cares. Just be thankful that Porsche offered you both choices. Those of us who are fortunate enough in life to actually afford one of these machines is a rare thing today. As such, I feel blessed that I have the opportunity to own one.

Thank goodness they don't offer it in only one color...

They are choices; celebrate that, don't debate it.

- Chris.
smart man with words of wisdom
Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Icutyou
hence the dilemma!
So after much thought decided to get a PDK.
My reasoning is as follows
1. Planning on increasing track and auto cross days with the new car this next year and frankly I don’t think I’m a good enough driver to also have to include the shifting part of it. I’d like to concentrate on getting better just controlling the car for the time being.

2. For those very rare occasions when I’m tired as hell and can’t be bothered to shift, I like the option of being able to not think about it too much.
3. The PDKS is an exceptional marvel of engineering and I can’t help but feel like it’s a shame to miss out on a major feature designed for this purpose and the motor allegedly has been designed for this gearbox. Who am I to argue?
4. And this is the most minor. Would like my better half to be able to at least drive this car a bit. NOT TOO MUCH lol
I have to say the level of knowledge and input on this forum is amazing at times! I took my time reading every single response with a nice glass of bourbon and let it all sink in.
As many of you have said you really can’t lose in this scenario and I am just so thankful that I can even consider this car. I can’t wait to own it, drive and even just look at it.
buy two
no dilemma
Old 11-16-2017, 10:40 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 174 Posts

I learned how to drive with a crash box that required double-clutching. I can’t say that was much fun, but I’m REALLY looking forward to the MT in my incoming Touring GT3.

Instead of PDK vs. MT, why not just replace vs. with “and.” There’s no right or wrong.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i like that.
just drive
Old 11-17-2017, 12:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,069 Likes on 5,253 Posts

So much consternation.

Just buy what you love.

Love what you buy.

Don't worry about what other people are buying, or loving.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:59 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
So much consternation.

Just buy what you love.

Love what you buy.

Don't worry about what other people are buying, or loving.
The benefit of this thread is that some don’t actually know what they love. They are torn. They love the PDK transmission but also remember rowing gears in a past car and love that too.

IMO this thread will Help solidify what they love.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:01 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

? As for the lap time, learning to time apex, better braking control thing. i am guessing most PDK owners always stay in automatic? It seems running the car in full automatic is the faster way around the track? Letting the car do all the work.
I drove a pdk in 2014 and the instructor (pro race car driver) explained that the car was much faster if you just let it do all the shifting and not touch the paddles. Does this sound correct?

I chose a manual, but did think it could be a good idea to be able to have my wife drive the car if needed, or needed to move it out of the garage for some reason. other than that, I guess eliminating the paddles would be the fastest set up for lap times?

Quick Reply: Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2