Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 03:24 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first world dilemma is that I want this RS (coz I only have a lowly gen 1 gt3 currently) and I also equally want the soon to be revealed 488 GTO with 750 hp (as I only have a 458 Italia and regret not having gotten the speciale instead). Getting allocations in my market are not as big a deal as they are in some markets. My dilemma is made more challenging by the fact that the economy here and my business has done badly in 2017 and 2018 is unlikely to improve. I could still afford these by selling my two cars and using savings for the balance.

What makes this even more difficult to decide is that these cars have become too expensive to track (at least regularly) and there is nothing you can do with them on public roads any more (endless radars and traffic).
Old 02-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Trudat

Originally Posted by Waxer

100%
Premiums will depend on production #s/availability. If production 1000 to 1500 or so ADM will be $150k. If production like .2GT3 adm $75k.

If I can get one at msrp I’ll get one. If not they can keep it. My .1RS is 95% of the .2RS.

I can be 25% ahead with a BBi or GMG set up in headers.
Well said.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Small hp bump. 0 torque difference is more disappointing as with just some styling cues.

There is not a 0 torque difference. There may not be an increase in peak torque (which comes around 6k rpm), but there is an increase in high rpm torque (which is necessary to make more power). In order to make 20 hp more at the same 8,250 rpm, torque there will necessarily be higher. It's not reasonable to expect more low-end torque with the same NA displacement and no big change in compression ratio or induction system...

Hopefully they'll publish the new power and torque curves, so we can see exactly what has changed.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:50 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny how people with the previous gen car always try to talk down the newer car
Old 02-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Funny how people with the previous gen car always try to talk down the newer car
Are they talking it down?

I dunno. It seems to me that the new car is exactly what everyone should expect it to be. If you own the current one, it's not a big enough difference to pay a bunch of money to upgrade. I don't see why anyone would expect it to be. I know some people can afford to always have the latest and greatest but come on. The old car is only a couple years old. The new one shouldn't be for those guys. It should be for people driving 997's or non-GT cars that are looking to move up.

It's obviously better than previous one. It's obviously much the same as well. It's still a 991 GT3RS right?
Old 02-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

I dunno. It seems to me that the new car is exactly what everyone should expect it to be. If you own the current one, it's not a big enough difference to pay a bunch of money to upgrade. I don't see why anyone would expect it to be. I know some people can afford to always have the latest and greatest but come on. The old car is only a couple years old. The new one shouldn't be for those guys. It should be for people driving 997's or non-GT cars that are looking to move up.

It's obviously better than previous one. It's obviously much the same as well. It's still a 991 GT3RS right?
Or those of us that have a GT4/GTS and now want to grab a NEW RS.

I’m lucky enough to not pay ADM, so a move to an RS is a good one.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:00 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
I don't think anyone talked it down.....they also didn't blow it way up....it was expected and surely not the home run like the .1 to .2 GT3.....don't get me wrong definitely an improved car but for those that have a .1RS maybe just not worth the money to "upgrade"
Old 02-06-2018, 04:04 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

They're probably trying to talk themselves out of buying it.

"Mine's good enough, I don't need a new one.... but it's so pretty and shiny and faaaaaast, NO! I DON'T..... NNNGGGGHH!"
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

I mean it's a similar upgrade as it was from the .1 GT3 to the .1 GT3RS.

I honestly think the existence GT2RS is skewing expectations, including mine, to the degree that it seemed plausible (and unrealistic) that Porsche would split the middle in performance.
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

Exactly. There was much more differentiating the .1 GT3 from the .2, and even THAT was a marginal upgrade - unless you wanted the MT. But, if you don't have an RS the new one is the one to get, if money is not a serious consideration. Personally I would not upgrade from a .1 to .2 in the same generation. I will just wait for the next generation, and then see how it compares. But .1 to .2 is usually too minimal to justify upgrading imo, but I am more cash sensitive than some people. Lucky them!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I don't think anyone talked it down.....they also didn't blow it way up....it was expected and surely not the home run like the .1 to .2 GT3.....don't get me wrong definitely an improved car but for those that have a .1RS maybe just not worth the money to "upgrade"
Exactly. I wish the changes were more substantial. I have a hard time justifying spending money to make the change. In fact might feel guilty or stupid spending any reasonable amount ($10,000+) to make the change plus sales tax all over again.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Exactly. I wish the changes were more substantial. I have a hard time justifying spending money to make the change. In fact might feel guilty or stupid spending any reasonable amount ($10,000+) to make the change plus sales tax all over again.

I think some of the most substantial changes are the ones not reflected in the specs (new solid valve lifters, hollow crankshaft with oiling through it, better brake cooling, chassis improvements from GT2RS, etc.). I bet the Nurburgring lap will be substantially faster than .1
Old 02-06-2018, 05:37 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Exactly. There was much more differentiating the .1 GT3 from the .2, and even THAT was a marginal upgrade - unless you wanted the MT. But, if you don't have an RS the new one is the one to get, if money is not a serious consideration. Personally I would not upgrade from a .1 to .2 in the same generation. I will just wait for the next generation, and then see how it compares. But .1 to .2 is usually too minimal to justify upgrading imo, but I am more cash sensitive than some people. Lucky them!
True and trust me I am sensitive

I just really dislike turbo's - if I get the call my .1 goes if not it's ok.

Going to grovel for one after much thought. Did the same with the JOTA Aventador (no groveling) think the last NA engines are worth grabbing.

Flip side is Ferrari's 488 turbo is magical but cancelled my deposit turbo's electrics perhaps I am getting old!

Cars are always going to get better it's just a matter of justifying to make one stroke a check - would rather do it now than later for a Turbo or even worse energizer bunny.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Well said ..........most who has an RS, or owned are seeing really the same car with a few particulars ......but no game changers. Tells me you have some very satisfied whichis a good thing, or the delta is not worth it for the upgrade. I like it, but not enough to buy the same car I sold .........ummm MSRP could change my mind(:
Old 02-07-2018, 05:27 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think some of the most substantial changes are the ones not reflected in the specs (new solid valve lifters, hollow crankshaft with oiling through it, better brake cooling, chassis improvements from GT2RS, etc.). I bet the Nurburgring lap will be substantially faster than .1
I agree with you.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS