Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoQuest Motorsport - 991/981/918 Seat Angle Adjusters for Carbon Fiber LWBS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:36 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I would like some additional info/pics. I have an allocation and am struggling with which seats to order. I've not driven in a Porsche with buckets, so not sure how they feel on the street. But sitting in a new GT3 with them at the dealer, the back angle is way too upright. First thing I said was, "needs a bit more recline." With these installed, and the seat reclined more, would it make it more comfortable on the street? Assuming the actual padding of the seat (or lack of it) isn't an issue.

I love the look of the buckets. But not sure they're the best choice for a car that will spend more time on the street than the track. They're so cool though.

Thanks for being an innovator!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:29 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I would like some additional info/pics. I have an allocation and am struggling with which seats to order. I've not driven in a Porsche with buckets, so not sure how they feel on the street. But sitting in a new GT3 with them at the dealer, the back angle is way too upright. First thing I said was, "needs a bit more recline." With these installed, and the seat reclined more, would it make it more comfortable on the street? Assuming the actual padding of the seat (or lack of it) isn't an issue.

I love the look of the buckets. But not sure they're the best choice for a car that will spend more time on the street than the track. They're so cool though.

Thanks for being an innovator!
I would certainly say they make the seats more comfortable on the street. Having the seat tilted back with our adjusters allows for a much more relaxed seating position while driving, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive hours at a time with them. I'll shoot you over a PM to chat about it more in depth, and thanks for the kind words : )
Old 01-08-2018, 06:13 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

John- thanks for the phone call today and for the installation guide you emailed my way. I feel comfortable that I can easily handle this project and that the result will be worthwhile. CP
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
John- thanks for the phone call today and for the installation guide you emailed my way. I feel comfortable that I can easily handle this project and that the result will be worthwhile. CP
No problem Chris, it was a pleasure chatting with you. They shipped out today and are on their way : )

For everyone's reference, we are now BACK IN STOCK from the holiday rush. Ready to ship, just give me a ring
Old 01-17-2018, 05:36 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Back in stock guys! Give me a ring if you need a set : )
Old 01-18-2018, 02:42 AM
Phikel
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed these myself in 1.5 hours. Straightforward installation with minimal tools required. I haven’t had a chance to get on the road with them yet so my opinion is based solely on seat time in the shop. First impression, the postion is a major improvement, I’m 6’-4” and have plenty of room with or without helmet. Frank,was great to work with
Plan to run down to Rennsport VI this fall with the RS and these will be a welcome addition
Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Got my seat angle adjusters a couple days ago. They work well and definitely get the job done, but are quite pricey for what they are. 2 pieces of metal and 4 plastic washers, probably cost a couple dollars to make. Research and design don't look that difficult either. I know of a few other companies releasing a similar product soon. For those of you not in a rush, I would wait for a lower price alternative to come out. For those of you that plan on tracking soon, it is a good product. Just know you are overpaying for what you are getting.

Last edited by drdonger; 01-25-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:53 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Phikel
I installed these myself in 1.5 hours. Straightforward installation with minimal tools required. I haven’t had a chance to get on the road with them yet so my opinion is based solely on seat time in the shop. First impression, the postion is a major improvement, I’m 6’-4” and have plenty of room with or without helmet. Frank,was great to work with
Plan to run down to Rennsport VI this fall with the RS and these will be a welcome addition
Excellent to hear you are enjoying them and had a chance to chat with our tech Frank! We may just be at Rennsport, so it would be nice to meet your in person. Enjoy! : )
Old 02-02-2018, 01:10 AM
NWFreerider
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car this past August, and immediately did several long weekend drives in the 500+ mile range. The stock position of the seats was definitely too upright. I did one track day and I had the seat in the lowest position to maximize the "recline". I discovered the seat angle adjusters in about November and once I installed them, the seats went from tolerable to "why didn't Porsche make them like this?". I have only had several drives because of the weather but driving the car is much more enjoyable and 600 mile trips and track days will be welcomed once the NW weather lets up.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:32 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Went to Sebring a couple weeks ago. By the end of the weekend, my neck was killing me and continued to do so for a few days.

Same for my son, who was my student...

So I called John and ordered the components. Fit was perfect and install was easy. Just make sure the plastic washers are properly seated over the shoulder of the screw.

I just Installed them and tried the seats out with my hans/helmet... HUGE difference. Now I dont have to jack my neck up all weekend.

more that the seat will be angled further back. I added a piece of plastic tubing to my Cantrell Roll bar so it doesn't damage the back of the seat when moved all the way back.

can't wait to hit Sebring Next week and try out the new seat angle.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:13 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I ordered the angle adjusters a few weeks ago, even before my car arrived.....put them on the shelf.....installed today "because I had them and it was raining." Honestly, I enjoyed driving the car prior to the install and did not expect much change seeing as the replacement parts are basically identical to the original part besides being slightly longer. I was wrong (and obviously should have paid better attention in geometry when discussing arc angles, radii, etc...).
Other notes: the pdf instructions John provided gave sufficient guidance to get the job done and I called him just prior to beginning the job to make sure he was available if I ran into an issue. I removed a few extra items from the seat base than the instructions advised but it may have been because the person who assembled my car was very frugal with wiring length. Passenger seat took 45 minutes; driver seat took 15. I took an extra few minutes per seat to remove the sticker from the back (that with blow dryer, pull, clean with WD-40) and vacuum the rear area.
If you are on the fence about purchasing and installing these, just do it.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:41 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

So there is a geometric side effect that occurs by changing the angle of the seat mechanism. If the seat is as low as possible, the rear supports will bind with the rails.

my seat was binding at the lowest position.

Solution : raise seat 2mm

you can see the marks in the crimped tube.

I wonder if the arms were slightly shorter if it would resolve this.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

^^^^ The recline also changes with seat height, right? The lower the seat, the more recline?
Old 02-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
So there is a geometric side effect that occurs by changing the angle of the seat mechanism. If the seat is as low as possible, the rear supports will bind with the rails.

my seat was binding at the lowest position.

Solution : raise seat 2mm

you can see the marks in the crimped tube.

I wonder if the arms were slightly shorter if it would resolve this.

Mine did this too. Initially thought I had done something wrong. I always have seat in lowest position and that's where it was when I took it out to for these. So I installed them in the binded to the rails position and couldn't move the seat.

For the record, at full low the back of the seat hits the rails and the seat won't slide fore and aft. A couple of mm up and I get a clank over bumps as I think the back of the seat makes momentary contact with the rails as it flexes. A couple more mm up and it's ok.

Spoke to John and they managed to replicate the problem but said they had not noticed it before (am I the only one who has his seat at full low??). He also worked out how much shorter he could make them to avoid this problem and I think it was about 25% of the extension they added.

Would still recommend these as the seat was just horrible before and is now great.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:32 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gravs
Mine did this too. Initially thought I had done something wrong. I always have seat in lowest position and that's where it was when I took it out to for these. So I installed them in the binded to the rails position and couldn't move the seat.

For the record, at full low the back of the seat hits the rails and the seat won't slide fore and aft. A couple of mm up and I get a clank over bumps as I think the back of the seat makes momentary contact with the rails as it flexes. A couple more mm up and it's ok.

Spoke to John and they managed to replicate the problem but said they had not noticed it before (am I the only one who has his seat at full low??). He also worked out how much shorter he could make them to avoid this problem and I think it was about 25% of the extension they added.

Would still recommend these as the seat was just horrible before and is now great.
You are correct. I experienced the same 'bump'. When lowering the seat to the min position, that rear bar hits the rails. Push it back and it falls off the rail, creating the 'bump' feel.

It's because of where the rear pivot point is on the geometry which lowers that rear bar closer to the rail.

And John JUST called me on a Saturday afternoon (talk about good customer service) to confirm that I was not crazy. That this, indeed, was a rare case. These seats are probably built within spec and we must have some seats that are on the fringe of the +/- tolerance.

All good.. Raise the seat 2 mm and smooth as can be.

Heading to Sebring next weekend and looking forward to a neck pain free experience.

Thank you, John, for the pro-active follow-up!

Quick Reply: AutoQuest Motorsport - 991/981/918 Seat Angle Adjusters for Carbon Fiber LWBS