Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:40 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

So amazing all around. Super impressed.. a lot of lessons to be learned here.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:24 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robmypro
I got the impression that Porsche had been working on this issue before we came along. But since we had contacted them, maybe they felt the time was right to put this issue to bed.

Timing is everything.
due to the number of repaired engines around the world, PAG surely started to investigate further on this issue a long time ago. Multiple engine updates and evolutions are the proves.

The COG request was an official claim for them in parallel of their internal case study. Their proposed resolution is great and will make customers happy. happy customer, more business.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:49 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Well done Rob & to all the other guys participated in the meeting. Results are Exceeding all of our expectations. Well done. Mark
Old 08-08-2017, 04:55 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonderful result, thanks for your hard work and commitment. And a world wide guarantee...
Old 08-08-2017, 04:56 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
So Dundon was making an effort to figure this out. Why diss them? Who else was other than Porsche and they weren't talking until ....

Porsche probably had ZERO interest in offering an extended warranty until an action group (COG) was formed and made them act.

The documented Macca and Dundon homework played a big part in helping publicize the issue. Have to give credit where it's due.
+1 I agree Dundon was the only company that has made great efforts to resolve this issue for us, and I still believe their solution is very viable for the long term. Mark
Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 AM
evilandy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to add my thanks to Macca and the COG team Rob, Dave, Ed, Sean, and Carmen. And to Porsche for stepping up.

I'm an original GT3 owner with my UK 3-year warranty about to expire and my extra 1-year engine warranty about to start. I'm a lifelong Porsche fan and have been getting very worried that I may need to get rid of the car I love or watch the value melt away due to lack of confidence in the engine.

Looking forward to many more years of happy driving in my 991.1 GT3. Thanks guys and thanks Porsche.

As a final note, I only heard about this initiative in the last couple of days despite being a supporter of the members group for the original engine issue. I read Pistonheads daily but not Rennlist - I'm surprised it wasn't publicised more on Pistonheads. Anyway, I've learned my lesson now and will read Rennlist daily as well...
Old 08-08-2017, 06:55 AM
Martini991RS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done guys! Great job! Great job as well Porsche!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:19 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
At Smokies GT this past April Dundon made a presentation in which they insisted the finger follower premature wear issue was certain to affect all 991.1 GT3/RS/R engines, which appears to have been based on a premature assumption that was incorrect. Dundon didn't do the research like Porsche did to truly understand the root cause, which has to do with specific metalurgy problems on some of the finger followers combined with the hydraulic lifter/oiling design issue and a certain mix of environmental/use cases.

Sure, Dundon had a solution--an expensive one they would sell us--to their gain. Not that there's anything wrong with capitalism, but ultimately Dundon's claims we're based on, at the very least, incomplete and unjustified conclusions that were convenient to their marketing plan.

oh yeah, and I very much recall the air of superiority attitude of the Dundon rep who continuously suggested during his presentation that Porsche didn't really understand what was happening and Dundon (and he personally) did. Little did he know that Porsche had already figured it out and solved the issue before the 911 R even shipped much earlier.

How many R and RS owners would have shelled out thousands (or tens of thousands) to Dundon to solve (or at least monitor for) a problem that didn't exist but that Dundon claimed they knew did exist based on convenient but flawed conclusions?

If we are to fault Porsche for anything it's not coming forward earlier with what they had learned in their research and proposing this solution sooner. Having said that I am happy with the outcome and I think we should all rejoice.
Exactly how I feel. While I don't doubt Dundon provided some benefit to the community by their investigation, to trust your 200k car with a small company and assume they knew more than the mothership is so blatantly stupid I always wondered how the lemmings believed in this company. It also truly calls into question the cognitive ability of those so "gung ho" on a solution like this. Imagine if today you had done this great "fix" and some other issue happened with the motor which Porsche would've covered, and you had altered the factory spec with a rebuild from a 3 person company with 350k in revenue. Sh-t out of luck!! Use your brains people. LOL!!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 AM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 118 Posts

Job Very Well done guys ... Am so proud to be part of this forum... 991.2 gt3 being my first Porsche... Am glad am surrounded by you guys
Old 08-08-2017, 08:00 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 991.1 GT3 is my favorite car ever and I have (and had) every intention of keeping this car a long, long time. Cannot express how much joy I felt when I read this post. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:32 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well done to everyone who was involved in preparing for this meeting. That includes Dundon and mecca. And big thanks for Rob for getting the ball rolling on putting this meeting together.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rather than choosing a battle with Dundon, I think one should applaud them for even looking for a solution. And, of course Porsche was going to stick behind their original engine design.......and find the apparent problem. It is a combination of the inclusions in the metallurgy and the lack of oil film and the heat and the spring rates, etc of that particular lifter design. But when Porsche changes to a solid lash lifter design, like what DMS has discovered as the best solution---that tells you something. The moment we all want to bash innovation is the moment innovation stops.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:35 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Remarkable! Thank you to all for your dedication... Dundon as well.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:47 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Rob, this deserves a custom video to highlight the event. Taking requests?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,529 Likes on 2,577 Posts

There's no need to demonize Dundon, but being a business, they obviously wouldn't have gotten involved in developing a fix for this issue unless it was in their financial interest. For that reason, they can't be viewed as unbiased.

Moreover, they have nowhere near the resources that Porsche does for investigating this and developing a fix, so I trust Porsche before Dundon on the technical issues. In that regard, they still seem to disagree with Porsche, and here's my take on that:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14381873

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement