Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on this one PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 AM
backeddy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need opinions on this one PLEASE!

So on my way to work today, I roll out of my building behind a BMW Z4, we are both going the same way so blinkers go on and he pulls out......sees traffic coming and tosses into reverse, Right onto the nose of my 987.2 spyder (Insert 4 letter rant). The damage is around an 8x10" "scuff" (as his car went up my nose) and it also left a 2" crease that you can see if you look at it straight on. So what do I do? If I paint the cover, I lose my factory paint and assume I will suffer a diminished value(how much). or 2 leave it and let you guys tell me what it's worth not to deal with fixing the damage. It also popped out the silver insert on that side. Sorry about crappy pics.
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Have him pay for repair outside of insurance to avoid car fax. Very minor. Take pics to show future buyer
Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Do your homework and take it to the best possible paint shop, they are from from being created equal. Then arrange a blanket party for Bimmer boy ( just kidding)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds as if you love your car. Certainly get the work done, by the best high end body shop anywhere near you. I agree with Waxer - have it paid for by the BMW driver outside of insurance - if you trade it, it's not an issue as it will likely not trigger a Carfax report. If you sell it privately, certainly let the buyer know what happened - pics before and after. Good luck - sorry this happened. I would go nuts.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:14 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need better pictures to make a judgement here.

Is the damage on the plastic bumper or the metal hood?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Sounds as if you love your car. Certainly get the work done, by the best high end body shop anywhere near you. I agree with Waxer - have it paid for by the BMW driver outside of insurance - if you trade it, it's not an issue as it will likely not trigger a Carfax report. If you sell it privately, certainly let the buyer know what happened - pics before and after. Good luck - sorry this happened. I would go nuts.
I would agree with this approach.

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Need better pictures to make a judgement here.

Is the damage on the plastic bumper or the metal hood?
More pictures would definitely help
Old 03-07-2017, 12:08 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good luck getting that BMW driver to pay for it out of pocket.

I'd go ahead and file an insurance claim, get it fixed, try for a diminished value claim (doubtful but worth a shot) and of course, have lots of good pictures (not a phone pic) to back up the history for whenever it gets sold.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry this happened.

Need more photos to know what the damage really is, but I've been through this decision and here are some thoughts.
1. It is common for Porsche bumpers, both front and back, to be repainted. The bumpers pick up rock chips and scuffs from everyday use and at some point they look better repainted. I took many photos of mine before and after for evidence should a future buyer care. You would be surprised how many don't care....
2. Depending upon how bad the damage is here, you might need to have the bumper cover replaced or repaired. Painting would be needed in this case. Again, I cant see that repairing the damage would cause the car to be less valuable than leaving it in its current damaged state.
3. You don't want to leave the bumper in a state where you can detect damage or it will drive you crazy every time you walk by and see it.

Diminished value yes, to some extent. Some states allow people to recover for that and some don't. My state doesn't.....
Old 03-07-2017, 02:58 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

+1

Bumper paint is no issue at all, hood mmmmm.... Preferably not.

Any trader selling will argue it does not affect value.
Any trader buying will say it does....

I would say it does affect resale value as more buyers will appreciate onriginal paint. This will give you a better market position when selling.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 AM
backeddy
Advanced

I will try to get better pics tomorrow, I requested the video footage from the driveway I was in and also have the text telling him this in not going to be a cheap repair. With his response back.....so I don't think he is going anywhere! I love this car and waited a long time for a black over red one......thanks for the advise aldready'

Quick Reply: Need opinions on this one PLEASE!