Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well. I cannot physically access the inside of my car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Unknown, and I fear I may have just killed it.

I can't blame the car too much on this one, as I left my dash cam and FM transmitter plugged in for the week. I don't know how, I had a whole routine from exiting the car that I employed while crossing the country without fail.

I was waiting to get to my garage in the country so I could get all this stuff sorted. Doh.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

I wish I was there to witness someone shoving a shower rod to depress the clutch while using a broom to move it into neutral lol.

How did open the trunk with the dead battery?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they are not that expensive just replace it
Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

I suspect there were several people watching me, wondering if I was breaking into someone else's car...Maybe some photos will turn up on the Internet. "Porsche ***** struggles with car."

I was able to open the frunk by opening the panel next to the clutch pedal, pulling out the red "post", and using jumper cables to attach the red post and the door hinge to the another battery. Then I just pulled the frunk button.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank god my '86 Targa has an actual cable release instead of an electric lock.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:05 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 149 Posts

There's a cable release (by law) inside the left front inner fender, but no help for the OP (wheel needs to be removed, by the way), since there was no space. My first mod was to install a battery charger pigtail on the passenger side of my CGTS, but installed it on the driver's side on my brother's BGTS. Being a SAE type, you could also hook up a high-current tire inflator that could blow the cigarette lighter fuse. Plus you can also hook up any charger to open the frunk, and not having to leave any door or window open (or chew the cable) when charging the car. You should also get a better charger; those BT+s can't charge a dead battery. Plus their puny current is not enough to pop the frunk as you found out. I have many chargers, but the one I like the best is the Optimate6, which charges at the max recommended rate (when directly hooked to the battery) of 5A. Finally, NEVER hook up any accessory to non-switched power. Use a device's battery if you want to record with the car parked.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:39 AM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

murphys law strikes again. great read and sound advice. thanks for sharing.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:21 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
Fun fact: the passenger door will not open from the inside without power.
That doesn't make any sense. I thought all doors had to be able to be opened mechanically from the inside (on all cars).

What happens in an accident if the batteries become disconnected? Then you could be trapped inside.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:28 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Thank god my '86 Targa has an actual cable release instead of an electric lock.
Except when the cable breaks which is not unusual. BTDT
Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skiahh
That doesn't make any sense. I thought all doors had to be able to be opened mechanically from the inside (on all cars).
I pulled on it once and the door didn't open, but it's possible that the first internal pull on a locked door merely unlocks...Had I tried to pull it again, perhaps it would've opened? I dunno. It was unlocked on the outside the next time I tried it, but I also did every dance I could think of to unlock the car or turn off the alarm or whatever, so that might've done it to...

I wasn't being particularly scientific on this day...
Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 797 Likes on 525 Posts

I had this happen to me once when I disconnected the battery for the Winter and locked the car, so I could not open the frunk. Doh.

I tried the secret cable release, but it was corroded and did not work. What I did was plug-in a battery charger to the cigarette lighter and was able to then open the frunk and reconnect the battery.

Now I just leave the battery charger connected all Winter.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 PM
eric1234
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
I pulled on it once and the door didn't open, but it's possible that the first internal pull on a locked door merely unlocks...Had I tried to pull it again, perhaps it would've opened? I dunno. It was unlocked on the outside the next time I tried it, but I also did every dance I could think of to unlock the car or turn off the alarm or whatever, so that might've done it to...

I wasn't being particularly scientific on this day...
Yes - first pull unlocks, second pull opens.

Quick Reply: Well. I cannot physically access the inside of my car.