Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sagging Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 12:12 PM
cromagnon
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi xcat,

I'm also in the Bay Area and need a new black headliner for my 2010 Cayman. Did you end up getting this done at a shop and if so, would you recommend them?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:02 AM
jhziiik2
1st Gear

So very disappointed with this headliner sagging issue! My 2015 Cayman, just passed the warranty in July, the whole headliner is down touching the top of the seats! Dealership want $1700 to replace it. That is just ridiculous on a 4 year old Porsche!! Any one else, is this common?
Thanks
Old 09-10-2019, 12:29 PM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jhziiik2
So very disappointed with this headliner sagging issue! My 2015 Cayman, just passed the warranty in July, the whole headliner is down touching the top of the seats! Dealership want $1700 to replace it. That is just ridiculous on a 4 year old Porsche!! Any one else, is this common?
Thanks
It is both ridiculous and common.

Personally, I'd avoid the dealer altogether as even if $1700 was acceptable to you, I'm guessing they are not repairing/regluing new material to the headliner, but instead replacing it with a brand new headliner which likely has the same crappy adhesive as your original. If true, this indicates you could be facing the same issue a few years down the road. (Sound familiar to the door panel issue?)

A decent upholstery shop should be able to do this job for somewhere between $400 and $600 - and depending on where you live, there might be enough competition among shops to get it closer to $300. This might be an unpopular opinion, but when it comes to auto upholstery (and upholstery in general) I've seen very, very little correlation between price and quality. Some of the very best work I've had done on my cars and furniture have come from shops that have been at the lower end of the price range. Go talk to the shops and look at the work they have in progress. That'll tell you a *lot* more about the quality than any price quote ever will. (This is advice I share from some hard lessons learned.)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:10 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts

I thought I had posted a response to this one. I'll add my $.02 worth. My '06 Cayman had its headliner drop a few months ago. I guess 12 years is a pretty good life. I went to a recommended shop here in Asheville.....well-known, small shop. They had a Ferrari mid-engine cab of some variety, doing a top, and a full interior for a '31 Buick. So I figured they were adaptable. Had the headliner replaced with an OEM type material in a slighly darker shade of gray (Stone Gray interior). Install was excellent and it looks great. Done in one day and price was $375. Prices vary regionally, but I think this is typical for the Southeast. Definitely avoiding the dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by RWPinNC:
redcayman07 (09-13-2019), wdr911 (06-26-2020)
Old 10-30-2019, 01:56 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RWPinNC
I thought I had posted a response to this one. I'll add my $.02 worth. My '06 Cayman had its headliner drop a few months ago. I guess 12 years is a pretty good life. I went to a recommended shop here in Asheville.....well-known, small shop. They had a Ferrari mid-engine cab of some variety, doing a top, and a full interior for a '31 Buick. So I figured they were adaptable. Had the headliner replaced with an OEM type material in a slighly darker shade of gray (Stone Gray interior). Install was excellent and it looks great. Done in one day and price was $375. Prices vary regionally, but I think this is typical for the Southeast. Definitely avoiding the dealer.
Wow. I'm so glad that I am on this forum. I have the same issue with my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid and am waiting on a warranty reponse from the dealer (among other issues). I will be sure to mention this if I get bad news.

-- Mike
Old 10-30-2019, 02:40 PM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Disappointing to hear this is still happening on a 2018 car. Seems Porsche still hasn't got their crap together on the materials engineering front.
The following users liked this post:
cayman2011 (05-22-2021)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:04 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, I have some other weird quality control issues going on with my car that are being investigated. Here is a picture of what I am seeing, maybe "sagging headliner" is an incorrect description as it is litterally coming appart at the edge!
I have a feeling that I will have to fight to get this one corrected along with the others.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:50 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts

Your issue is definitely a QC issue. The Cayman problem results from deteriorating adhesive in the headliner. At first you get some isolated areas of sagging. I have a couple of square feet of this and intended to get it replaced. The, one day on the road with windows down, the whole liner dropped, but the edges remained in place. We are all so familiar with this issue that we may have not described it to this degree. Good luck on this; the Panamera is a great car and Porsche needs to make sure the build quality is appropriate.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:29 PM
seanaldinho
1st Gear

Which shop in Asheville did you bring it to? Im in NC and just bought an 06 Cayman S that needs a new headliner as well. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2021, 02:15 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 147 Posts

I purchased some material last year and plan to remove the headliner and recover this summer. Anyone removed the headliner themselves and if so, any tricks to know going in?
Old 05-22-2021, 04:00 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
I purchased some material last year and plan to remove the headliner and recover this summer. Anyone removed the headliner themselves and if so, any tricks to know going in?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:23 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 147 Posts

This post must have jinxed me. I took the CS today to work and came out of the office...got in the car and was startled to find the fabric fully hanging down, resting on my head. Felt like an idiot driving home. Guess Ill be treating into the headliner a little sooner than I thought....
Old 05-26-2021, 07:23 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,612 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
This post must have jinxed me. I took the CS today to work and came out of the office...got in the car and was startled to find the fabric fully hanging down, resting on my head. Felt like an idiot driving home. Guess Ill be treating into the headliner a little sooner than I thought....
Same here.
Just the rear hanging down on Sunday.
Alcantara replacement being investigated...

Seems the work is self-viable, based on Ski's work!
The following users liked this post:
kiznarsh (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 12:10 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I did mine last summer. The time consuming part is removing all the trim. Make sure you have/ keep all the little rubber pieces on the clips. If you don't and put it back together without them, you will get small rattles here and there which will annoy the hell out of you!!! Overall, the actual act of replacing the headliner is very easy. Whole project took me about 2 hours. (Minus the hour to remove trim a second time and add the little rubber buffer pieces back in!) Total cost for adhesive and material was about $70.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:00 PM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Sagging headliner seems to be a common issue with the Porsches and other German manufacturers. Unfortunately mine started sagging after re-installing some of the rear hatch interior pieces to get rid of some rattles after I tugged on where the headliner is glued on to.

I called around 3 shops I found on Google/Yelp in the South Bay and got ranges of quotes from $500, $680, $1000 from a very highly reviewed place. I can't see the quality difference in the work produced being that wildly different other than the high hourly rates the 3rd shop is charging so I made an appointment for this Friday for the shop that quoted $500. Just going with basic black fabric, as long as it's glued properly this time and they install the plastic pieces properly, I'd be content. They mentioned they just had one done on a Cayman with the sand beige interior which is harder to match the color and the other shops had other Cayman owners review for the same headliner replacement so it reinforces that this is a very common issue.

Quick Reply: Sagging Headliner