Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounding Board: Do I want a second Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:01 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Sounding Board: Do I want a second Spyder

Ok, I'm thinking I need a second car by next December (preferably AWD). My first inclination was a used CPO 991 4S or 4GTS Coupe/targa/cab (preference in descending order) that I would pick up some time in the next year, but the end of the SPYDER is near and I sort of was thinking the Spyder is a really good deal IMO and maybe I should get a second one either at a discount off a car lot or order one built to spec (my preference) at MSRP. I thought I was on my way to 4S or 4GTS but then my SA called me yesterday and said he had an open allocation for me. Advice?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

My choice would be the Targa GTS. But that's personal, considering I have a cab, and a coupe. The targa seems like a great daily use car, provides open air when you want it, AWD, etc. that's just my opinion though.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:26 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

From a driving perspective unless I had LOTS of cars I would never get 2 that are same model/year.

And from a financial perspective you want to spread your risk
Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 PM
kskpsu
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll preface by saying I'm someone that covets diversity, not only models, but brand. Generally, my garage is German, but I won't load up on any given brand...too many good options out there to give me different driving experiences.

With what you've outlined, and your geography, I'd go 4GTS all day long.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:50 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok... you NEED a second car ? Why do you think you do ? Different purpose, usage, features, etc. are normally why you would NEED a second car.

If you developed a rational which brings you to conclude that you should buy a replica of your first car, it's probably that you don't NEED a second car.

Last edited by GT3 Techno; 02-17-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:26 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. The second car would be for my vacation house which is in another state. This Spyder was supposed to be for my vacation house but once I drove it I realized I couldn't be with out it so now it's here in NYC with me and I still need a car for Cali. I'm the type of person who buys multiples of the same thing if I like it so that I won't be without it later.

I was thinking of the upcoming M2 but I don't think I want another BMW. There's the E63 wagon but that might get old after a while and resale on those is abysmal.

I'm glad some of you said 4gts and targa 4gts which are dream cars for me right now.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
ok... you NEED a second car ? Why do you think you do ? Different purpose, usage, features, etc. are normally why you would NEED a second car.

If you developed a rational which brings you to conclude that you should buy a replica of your first car, it's probably that you don't NEED a second car.
I was gonna say the same thing. I wouldn't buy two cars that do the same thing and/or give you the same experience. I'd buy something that solves whatever is driving the need/desire for a second car. That's why I DD an RS5 versus a Porsche. I much prefer driving my Porsche's, but they can't do everything I need on a daily basis.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Send the Spyder to Cali, that's its proper home. Buy the C4S for NYC, it's a far better fit and will give you a longer driving season. It will make the trips to CA that much sweeter.

By the way, let me know when you come out to CA. I can schedule a run to Mt Palomar to properly exercise the Spyder.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Send the Spyder to Cali, that's its proper home. Buy the C4S for NYC, it's a far better fit and will give you a longer driving season. It will make the trips to CA that much sweeter.

By the way, let me know when you come out to CA. I can schedule a run to Mt Palomar to properly exercise the Spyder.
You are ahead of the curve as always Afshin. That is exactly what I figured might happen down the road: Spyder for Cali and the C4S for here in NYC, but next Christmas I'm staying in Yosemite and the AWD will come in handy for that particular trip but after that yes, I will switch out the cars.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Get the orange Targa you referenced a few weeks back...
Old 02-17-2016, 07:15 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

^ It's still there at the dealership. I have my eye on it!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I used to have two S2000s, as I am a big fan. I thought too much of a good thing is better; or, can't be bad! The love affair lasted about four years. Then I realized I was craving for a change. Motorcycles offered some variety; but, didn't seem to be enough. Then, on a beautiful summer evening, someone ran a red light and took me out! I narrowly escaped fatality or serious injuries. The car was declared a total loss. I felt bad as I had big plans for it in terms of mods. After the initial shock, I actually felt bit relieved since it opened up the possibility for a change! I have then decided that I will not have two copies of the same make and model unless there is a compelling reason.

However, in your case, it's gonna be kept in a different home. You aren't going to access both on the same day. Though I haven't driven the Spyder, judging by everyone else's driving impressions, it seems like a must-have car in the collection. So, here, too much of a good thing is better! So, I would vote for the second Spyder.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:25 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
I used to have two S2000s, as I am a big fan. I thought too much of a good thing is better; or, can't be bad! The love affair lasted about four years. Then I realized I was craving for a change. Motorcycles offered some variety; but, didn't seem to be enough. Then, on a beautiful summer evening, someone ran a red light and took me out! I narrowly escaped fatality or serious injuries. The car was declared a total loss. I felt bad as I had big plans for it in terms of mods. After the initial shock, I actually felt bit relieved since it opened up the possibility for a change! I have then decided that I will not have two copies of the same make and model unless there is a compelling reason.

However, in your case, it's gonna be kept in a different home. You aren't going to access both on the same day. Though I haven't driven the Spyder, judging by everyone else's driving impressions, it seems like a must-have car in the collection. So, here, too much of a good thing is better! So, I would vote for the second Spyder.
Wow. that's amazing. Thanks for sharing your story. Yes, two different coasts and rarely will these cars meet.

Here's my second Spyder (maybe):http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7VPX92

look at it in 3d mode.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Orange targa. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:33 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Orange targa. Variety is the spice of life.
OK OK, but in my mind the Spyder is sort of a deal -all the other Porsche models not so much. The Targa and its over engineered roof have grown on me but it's so expensive when you finish building one that you might as well just get a 911turbo or a used Lamborghini lol. I'm thinking lightly used CPO Targa S hopefully a GTS sometime in the next year. Funny because I hated the roof now I think it's sort of amazing in its over the top engineering. BUT am I the only one who thinks there something a little unbalanced about the Targa's lines?

Edit:

I want to add that of course buying two of the same cars is Stupid, but I'm stupid in love with this car. I've never had a car like this. I love it. Some background: I grew up in an automobile family and was around cars and I've not driven that many but probably more than average, but I've only driven old Porsches the 1950-80s and this Spyder is amazing in so many ways that I can't explain it -it's overdetermined, and the idea of being with out this car seem impossible. I've NEVER felt this way about a car before. I'm sure it will be short lived because I keep thinking that like cinderella my beautiful sled is going to turn into a pumpkin. My car is so solid and stiff that I've never had a convertible like it. Reminds me of a hard top. I have to ask those with experience with these cars, will this change? Will my car's stiffness start to fade and will it start to stretch and stuff?

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 02-17-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Sounding Board: Do I want a second Spyder