Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounding Board: Do I want a second Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a Porsche Targa GTS and love it. While at the dealership picking up the Targa, they had an open allocation for a Spyder and I took it. While I have not driven the Spyder, the Targa is a dream. It is not as nimble as a coupe, but you have the Spyder for that. In my opinion, the Targa is the prettiest 911.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Wow. that's amazing. Thanks for sharing your story. Yes, two different coasts and rarely will these cars meet.

Here's my second Spyder (maybe):http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7VPX92

look at it in 3d mode.
I like it! Do it! One exception is, to me, Garnet Red interior may not go well with Guards Red. Not enough contrast. Black with red stitching could be an option. You could add additional red accents to stuff like tach, chrono, seat belts, etc.

Since you like the Spyder so much, I feel you won't get jaded. I am a hardcore open-top guy myself. I can totally relate to your sentiments. Pull the trigger! :-)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
I have a Porsche Targa GTS and love it. While at the dealership picking up the Targa, they had an open allocation for a Spyder and I took it. While I have not driven the Spyder, the Targa is a dream. It is not as nimble as a coupe, but you have the Spyder for that. In my opinion, the Targa is the prettiest 911.
WOW, is that your Targa in the picture? Lucky you. I have to take this opportunity and ask if all the Targa mechanicals add to the flex or noise on uneven surfaces? I would hope not but that's a lot of unfixed/mobile stuff. IMO you have quite an unusual and rather special Porsche. I've always loved the Targa and now it's rather sublime in its complexity - kind of like a showboat of Porsche engineering.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:44 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
I like it! Do it! One exception is, to me, Garnet Red interior may not go well with Guards Red. Not enough contrast. Black with red stitching could be an option. You could add additional red accents to stuff like tach, chrono, seat belts, etc.

Since you like the Spyder so much, I feel you won't get jaded. I am a hardcore open-top guy myself. I can totally relate to your sentiments. Pull the trigger! :-)
I know I know, but there are already a lot of Red/Black Combos, and the Red interior is so Special, but yes I know it's tone on tone and that can be iffy, but I'm thinking all the grey will help. If I did do Red/Black, then it would be the black with black trim and not red inside and the hoops black too like this: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGY7FUW7
Use the 3d because it's all in the details for me.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
+1....
Old 02-17-2016, 10:20 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts

WOW, is that your Targa in the picture? Lucky you. I have to take this opportunity and ask if all the Targa mechanicals add to the flex or noise on uneven surfaces? I would hope not but that's a lot of unfixed/mobile stuff. IMO you have quite an unusual and rather special Porsche. I've always loved the Targa and now it's rather sublime in its complexity - kind of like a showboat of Porsche engineering.
Yes it is. So we picked up two Porsches in November. One was the Targa, the other a Club Coupe. We took the cars through the Alps and haven driven both cars, neither had any problems. We chose a lot of curvy roads. I think Porsche got all the bugs out when they came out with the GTS. There were no rattles or unwanted noises.The top mechanism is the same as the cabrio, but in my opinion still too complex. Looks cool, but I wonder how long it will last before it starts giving problems.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

I know I know, but there are already a lot of Red/Black Combos, and the Red interior is so Special, but yes I know it's tone on tone and that can be iffy, but I'm thinking all the grey will help. If I did do Red/Black, then it would be the black with black trim and not red inside and the hoops black too like this: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGY7FUW7
Use the 3d because it's all in the details for me.
Yes, I agree that the two-tone Spyder interior is pretty cool. But, as you know, it only works for very few exterior colors. I actually like this black interior build. Just need to add few more bits of red accents, including seat belts. If you thought there are many red/black combo, there is a reason: it works! Just get creative to add a touch of differentiation.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I have a suggestion from left field, get a 987.2 Spyder. It may not offer the same top speed but acceleration is close and the smaller/lighter chassis with hydraulic steering will definitely provide a different level of fun.

Price would be much less too.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

And keep the 987 Spyder in CA, that way you don't ever have to install/remove the top.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have a suggestion from left field, get a 987.2 Spyder. It may not offer the same top speed but acceleration is close and the smaller/lighter chassis with hydraulic steering will definitely provide a different level of fun.

Actually, I like this idea better! In my view, we may never experience the steering feel of the 987 Spyder in a modern Porsche, ever! For some reasons, either they don't want to recreate the hydraulic setup's feel or they can't! If any manufacturer can engineer the perfect steering feel, it could be either Porsche or Lotus. Electro-mechanical setup is supposed to be highly tunable. Porsche has been trying for the past few years; still can't hack it. 987 Spyder and Lotus Elise were the benchmarks, among production cars. We may never experience them again.

The power level of 987 Spyder is more than adequate for the congested streets of California. You will get to have two distinct generations of the bespoke modern roadsters. Good call, Afshin.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:58 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I'm too tall at 6'3" or I would already have one of those. I just fit in the 981.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:47 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote Targa 4GTS
Old 02-18-2016, 06:05 PM
rsixx6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm too tall at 6'3" or I would already have one of those. I just fit in the 981.
I'm 6'0'' in a LWB seat 987.2 and feel like there is room to spare. Have you tried sitting in those vs. the Leather seats?
Old 02-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Kingfrog3
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love reading post like these because it makes me feel so much better about myself. I used to think I was the only crazy one out there.
I had the same dilemma. I bought a 991 GT3 with LWB for the track and feel in love with it. I found that I missed it at home and was searching feverishly for one with 18-ways as a daily driver. As I was doing this they announced the spyder and I decided that it would be the best of all worlds to have a spyder and the GT3. My spyder arrives in about 2 weeks so I can say yet that it was the right decision but I think it will be.
Its funny, I am very fortunate to have a number of cars, but I love them all in their own uniqueness. My first sports car was a 2004 996 4S and I still love driving it. I guess what I am trying to say is get something different. You will love it just as much; in its own way.
Since you live in NYC take a look at a CPO turbo. Great deals right now. Or even better take a look at a McLaren 12C. I have had one since new and it is amazing. You can get a coupe for less than $150k used right now. Best deal out there!!!

Good Luck!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I say get something different and sell me your allocation

Quick Reply: Sounding Board: Do I want a second Spyder