Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forge vs Flow Form Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 AM
LTP
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Forge vs Flow Form Wheels

Hi All,

I'm a new Porsche owner and getting my 2012 Cayman S ready for track day as a newbie. I'm planning to track as much as I can, and would love some advices for wheels options and set up as well as the pros & cons.

Is 18" always a better choice than 19" as not many wheels clear 380mm bbk but more tire choices and cheaper?
Is it worth to use forge on track or flow form is good enough as 18' flow form is about 20LBS?
Do you guys always prepare extra set of wheels track day or just tires, if just tires, do most track provide mount and balance?

Appreciate all feedback.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

There are more tire choices for 18". The OZ Alleggerita is a popular and proven choice for a Cayman application. It is cast. No tracks I run offer mounting and balancing and I use mounted wheels and tires.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:01 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 296 Posts

+1 on the OZ Alegeritta wheels. I have 120+ days on a set of 18s and no problems (except damage to one due to driver error). Most tracks I go to do not have tire service on site. My home track is 60 miles away so I swap wheels the day before.

If you are new to DEs I'd say consider driving the car stock for at least 2 or 3 events. Just make sure you meet the organizer's tech requirements- fresh brake fluid, sufficient pad thickness, sufficient tire tread depth, etc. As I slid down the slippery slope, I upgraded brake pads/fluid, then track wheels/tires, then GT3 LCAs for more neg camber, then bucket seats, then rollbar/6pt harness/hans. Not saying that's the right sequence but think it's fairly typical. Best of luck.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:25 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 985 Likes on 491 Posts

PM with info on the way
Old 12-22-2015, 09:31 PM
LTP
Instructor

Thx for the tips. Bill, noted on the tires. Zedcat, I like your sequence, def will drive in stock 1st. What type of damage usually occur due to driver error?

Do you guys think 380mm bbk is a must down the road? I have told they are too heavy and throw off the balance of the car.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:08 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LTP
Thx for the tips. Bill, noted on the tires. Zedcat, I like your sequence, def will drive in stock 1st. What type of damage usually occur due to driver error?

Do you guys think 380mm bbk is a must down the road? I have told they are too heavy and throw off the balance of the car.
My home track (TWS) has some spots that are pretty rough off track. Few weeks ago I misjudged the track edge and dropped the right front just off the edge and as luck would have it right into a hole. Bent the edge of the rim and slight bulge in the tire. Did not lose pressure and drove home carefully. I think the wheel can be repaired but just to be cautious I bought a new one and a new tire.

Most 987 drivers I know have upgraded brake pads, and some 2 piece rotors in stock size. Also the gt3 brake ducts. Very few have gone to a full BBK. Depends on track and driver style too.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:24 PM
LTP
Instructor

do you think ppl don't do bbk upgrade is because it will throw off the balance of car as they quite heavy? or lack of choices of 18'' wheels to clear 380mm.

or is upgrading brake pads, and rotors are good enough for track day.

Thanks again
Old 12-22-2015, 10:37 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 382 Posts

380mm, that is a big *** rotor! I think there are better solutions using the same 6 piston front calipers using rotors in the 350 to 355mm range. I've seen some really fast guys who are fine with stock calipers, stock rotors or Giros along with race pads / fluid. I'm another fan of the OZ wheels mentioned above: very light, good bang for the buck IMHO.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LTP
do you think ppl don't do bbk upgrade is because it will throw off the balance of car as they quite heavy? or lack of choices of 18'' wheels to clear 380mm.

or is upgrading brake pads, and rotors are good enough for track day.

Thanks again
Of the 987 drivers I know (intermediate to advanced run groups) I think most do not go to bigger brakes due to high cost and relatively small benefit. Stock Porsche brakes with street tires can usually engage ABS so more braking force won't slow the car any faster. Over the course of a 25 min session the heat dissipation is manageable with race pads, high temp fluid etc. I've run DOT R tires without brake problems. Maybe with Hoosiers or true slicks big brakes would have a benefit. Or in longer sessions since bigger brakes can take more heat. A track like COTA is hard on brakes. I only go there a couple of times a year though. I could see considering a bbk upgrade if tracking often there.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:49 PM
LTP
Instructor

OK, i guess all comes down to track size, and driving skills.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:14 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you might be jumping ahead of yourself. Focus on a getting a set of track wheels and performing your track day to learn how to drive your car appropriately. You'll soon discover you area of improvement. The difference between forged and form flowed is negligible as you start out. Based on your driving style and ability you'll see where you need to focus. This focus or area of improvement will likely drive your areas of improvement. My suggestion is try your car stock. Then take it step by step.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:24 AM
LTP
Instructor

agree ML, driving style improvement is priority.

just wanted to budget myself from the start, and get all the possible mod knowledge as well

thanks

Merry Xmas to All

Quick Reply: Forge vs Flow Form Wheels