Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spyder brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:12 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default spyder brakes

Anyone interested, I will have my 2012 Boxster Spyder brakes (front and back rotors, calipers pads and sensors) for sale as I'm upgrading to PCCB's . These would be an OEM significant upgrade for owners of base Boxsters and Caymans.

and no comments on how expensive the upgrade is .... I'm 72 and I want to, then there are some good reasons also.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as Joe said, " get what you want ", pccb is a great solution for the road car...

Donn

p.s. - I could use a set of street pads, what do you want for them ?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

PCCB sized calipers and rotors are a great idea. The stock ones are too small for track use when running R comp, and the standard brakes look really small behind 19" wheels.
Actual PCCB rotors look cool and are definitely light weight. I won't go into why they don't work for me.

Is it as simple as swapping out the calipers and master cylinder? The PCCB front calipers are 996GT3 calipers. You'll need an adapter to mount to the upright, which is different on a PCCB equipped car.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I upgraded to Giros, they are 1.1 inches bigger in front and 1 in the back. Plus 2 pounds per corner lighter.

Giro discs
Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
PCCB sized calipers and rotors are a great idea. The stock ones are too small for track use when running R comp, and the standard brakes look really small behind 19" wheels.
Actual PCCB rotors look cool and are definitely light weight. I won't go into why they don't work for me.

Is it as simple as swapping out the calipers and master cylinder? The PCCB front calipers are 996GT3 calipers. You'll need an adapter to mount to the upright, which is different on a PCCB equipped car.
Actually my dealer has learned you need new front spindles which Porsche fails to mention in their tech data. Also since the front rotors are larger new backing plates are required. Should be finished today.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
I upgraded to Giros, they are 1.1 inches bigger in front and 1 in the back. Plus 2 pounds per corner lighter.
What else do you need for that mod ? I'd like to do that...

Donn
Old 10-16-2014, 08:47 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Giro discs
A good and expensive choice ( inexpensive and Porsche are mutually exclusive terms) 2 lbs saved per corner should be noticeable in handling. PCCB's will save over 10 lbs per corner and as with anything, lightness is expensive and reducing unsprung weight is desirable. By the way nice color combo on your Spyder
Old 10-16-2014, 10:32 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by f4 plt
A good and expensive choice ( inexpensive and Porsche are mutually exclusive terms) 2 lbs saved per corner should be noticeable in handling. PCCB's will save over 10 lbs per corner and as with anything, lightness is expensive and reducing unsprung weight is desirable. By the way nice color combo on your Spyder
Thanks. Mine also came with PCCBs which are boxed up. ( I track the car like my previous Cayman) You only live once, enjoy the run.

BTW My father was a Thud driver but I had the pleasure of a fellow OCS graduate taking me up for a spin in a Phantom. What a rush you guys enjoyed.

Look forward to seeing your upgrade.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blue44
What else do you need for that mod ? I'd like to do that...

Donn
Nothing. I pulled them off my Cayman, added SS lines and the GT3 MBC for grins. But nothing is needed it's a 1:1 swap. Also the OP is correct, if you have a base Cayman or Boxster his setup would be a wonderful upgrade performance and visually. I've never understood why Porsche at least didn't paint the base cars calipers.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Mine also came with PCCBs which are boxed up. ( I track the car like my previous Cayman) You only live once, enjoy the run.

BTW My father was a Thud driver but I had the pleasure of a fellow OCS graduate taking me up for a spin in a Phantom. What a rush you guys enjoyed.

Look forward to seeing your upgrade.
I would have loved to fly the "thud" or as we called it the last of the red hot mamas and a lead sled. As the saying goes if the Air Force would build a runway that went all the way around the globe, Republic would build an aircraft that needed every inch of the runway.

However the "thud" was originally designed as a nuc bomb tactical bomber. It had not only an afterburner on its J 75 but water injection for extra thrust on take off. A great bird that could go like H..L on the deck as in 1000 knots indicated.

Last edited by f4 plt; 10-17-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:21 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

I would have loved to fly the "thud" or as we called it the last of the red hot mamas and a lead sled. As the saying goes if the Air Force would build a runway that went all the way around the globe, Republic would build an aircraft that needed every inch of the runway.

However the "thud" was originally designed as a nut bomb tactical bomber. It had not only an afterburner on its J 75 but water injection for extra thrust on take off. A great bird that could go like H..L on the deck as in 1000 knots indicated.
My dad went from SAC ( B-58's being phased out) to TAC and the F-105 as he was given his first squadron command after he qualified. He liked the bird until he was blown out of the sky on a SAM suppression mission went terribly wrong. Once he recovered he never flew again and rode the desk until he retired in El Segundo at the famous LA AF Station ( now base)
Old 10-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

However the "thud" was originally designed as a nut bomb tactical bomber. It had not only an afterburner on its J 75 but water injection for extra thrust on take off. A great bird that could go like H..L on the deck as in 1000 knots indicated.
My dad went from SAC ( B-58's being phased out) to TAC and the F-105 as he was given his first squadron command after he qualified. He liked the bird until he was blown out of the sky on a SAM suppression mission went terribly wrong. Once he recovered he never flew again and rode the desk until he retired in El Segundo at the famous LA AF Station ( now base)
Just to add some color to the wonderful verbal scenery!

Photos:

1) Republic F-105 Thunderchief

2) Convair B-58 Hustler

3) Republic Aviation Logo

4) Los Angeles Air Force - El Segundo

Carry on, gentlemen!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Just to add some color to the wonderful verbal scenery!

Photos:

1) Republic F-105 Thunderchief

2) Convair B-58 Hustler

3) Republic Aviation Logo

4) Los Angeles Air Force - El Segundo

Carry on, gentlemen!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Eduardo

You always seem to come up with some great pictures

Jack
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Nothing. I pulled them off my Cayman, added SS lines and the GT3 MBC for grins. But nothing is needed it's a 1:1 swap. Also the OP is correct, if you have a base Cayman or Boxster his setup would be a wonderful upgrade performance and visually. I've never understood why Porsche at least didn't paint the base cars calipers.
cool thanks, I would've thought the bigger rotors would require different calipers or mounts...

Donn

ps - I live just south of KFRG ( where the Thuds were built and flight tested ) and the airport lore includes F105's announcing a 5 mile final requiring tower controllers to get Cessnas from the flight school off a ONE mile final lest they get run over...

Last edited by blue44; 10-17-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: ps
Old 10-18-2014, 12:49 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blue44
cool thanks, I would've thought the bigger rotors would require different calipers or mounts...

Donn

ps - I live just south of KFRG ( where the Thuds were built and flight tested ) and the airport lore includes F105's announcing a 5 mile final requiring tower controllers to get Cessnas from the flight school off a ONE mile final lest they get run over...
That's the great thing about the nod it's a straight bolt in. You save weight, you get bigger rotors and they're two piece floating design. GiroDisc is a solid company to boot.

Thanks to the poster who upped the pictures, memory lane as a kid was being at several AFB's and seeing all the wonderful jets of the age. My dad was shocked when I chose to become a Marine Corp Officer and didn't even choose aviation. Although I fell out of them....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: spyder brakes