Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X73 SS on the Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:58 PM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have X73 on our Cayman (S, not GTS) it works for me. I daily drive and some track days. It feels very connected to the road, I like that.

There have been two occasions (only 2) in the last 4500 miles where I though I might like a more compliant suspension, even then I appreciated being connected to the road.

It scrapes occasionally, it doesn't really bother me. Dips in the road are the worst, I don't usually have a problem with bumps. I usually approach driveways, gas stations etc at an angle and don't have a problem. The worst scrapes have been on the passenger side side skirt, which seems to be at exactly the right high to catch kerbs if you park too close.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:41 AM
jbrennen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Would I have to worry much about about scrapes on driveways and at gas stations with the X73 SS on the Cayman GTS?

Some of you X73 and PASM Cayman GTS owners should be able to tell me by now about your experiences turning into driveways and gas stations....

My X73-equipped Cayman GTS does scrape the front occasionally. You learn tricks.

I now have learned to pull in and out of my own driveway at about a 45 degree angle. It doesn't scrape that way, and I have a double wide driveway so there's room to do it.

You might also consider front parking assist. I passed on the option, and I have found that I'm lucky if I can guess within 6 inches how close my front is to obstacles. I'm sure I'll get better with experience, but I'm generally erring on the conservative side and probably leaving 12 inches of room in front of the car when I park. (The car's 26 inches shorter than our minivan, so I think I'm pretty much centering the car in the minivan's parking footprint...)

The ride when it's not scraping is fine. There is one rough road that I often use on my morning commute, for about 300 meters, where I wish I had something a little more compliant. What's funny is that I pick that road because it allows me to miss the speed bumps in the neighborhood. I guess they figured that road was already so poor and bumpy that speed bumps weren't needed...
Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I love the X73 but am coming out of a 2008 GT3 for context.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: X73 SS on the Cayman GTS