Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod/USB hookup on stock vs. Bose vs. CDR Plus

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:04 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ipod/USB hookup on stock vs. Bose vs. CDR Plus

Can someone confirm for me if you get the stock radio on a Boxster S, is there a USB hookup for Ipod?

What if you only add the Bose option ($700)?

As near as I can tell, it seems that you MUST add the CDR Plus for $1700 just to get a USB/Ipod hookup but I don't want Nav (infotainment package) nor satellite nor HD radio (CDR Plus), just a decent system that allows me to control my Ipod from the touch screen. It seems silly that you can get the Bose upgrade but still not be able to properly hook your Ipod into it. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 PM
johnr265
Pro

OK, lots of views, no replies, but I think I figured it out over at Planet 9.

It appears you do need CDR plus to get usb (or you can order full infotainment package).

Anybody out there have CDR plus without the bose upgrade care to comment on how they like it?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 943 Likes on 444 Posts

Sorry no USB. No USB even with the Bose. Ridiculous but true. Even a $12,000 KIA has USB.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

German cars have always been inferior when it comes to audio equipment. Porsche is no exception unfortunately.

On the plus side, with PSE or an aftermarket exhaust you don't miss it as much.

I've resigned to the fact that I'm stuck with an Aux Cable and my ipod nano for the Spyder.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:05 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

USB comes with the CDR Plus system (it's in the glove box). The CDR rig is OK, solid but nothing special.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, you have to order CDR Plus or the Infotainment package to get a USB and control the iphone/ipod through the touch screen. I think all you get is an aux jack, and that's why you can't control your iphone/ipod through the touch screen.

I didn't care about the siriux/xm radio, but I ordered CDR-plus to get the USB, HD radio and the high resolution touch screen (its my understanding you get a lesser screen if you don't get the CDR-plus or infotainment).

I think the base system if you don't get CDR plus is only 25 watts per channel. I also ordered the Bose (with CDR-plus), and while its not the greatest system in the world, for my purposes it will do the trick. I'm not a fan of aftermarket stuff, as I've seen too many high end cars with audio systems that either look gimmicky, or they have electrical/audio issues because some hack didn't install everything correctly.

JohnR265, you should go to a dealer and test drive the cars and see if you are ok with the base system, or if you prefer the CDR plus or CDR Plus with Bose.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 PM
johnr265
Pro

Hard to find a car that doesn't have the bose unfortunately. It is clear that the base system is pretty bad and most people feel the bose is adequate though not stellar. I don't have high expectations (it is a convertible and I'm getting the PSE too) but I do enjoy tunes when I'm cruising or commuting. The Ipod hookup with the screen is mandatory so I am thinking of just doing the CDR plus. True the Bose is really not much more but you gotta draw the line somewhere (a difficult enough task with so many options .
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnr265
Hard to find a car that doesn't have the bose unfortunately. It is clear that the base system is pretty bad and most people feel the bose is adequate though not stellar. I don't have high expectations (it is a convertible and I'm getting the PSE too) but I do enjoy tunes when I'm cruising or commuting. The Ipod hookup with the screen is mandatory so I am thinking of just doing the CDR plus. True the Bose is really not much more but you gotta draw the line somewhere (a difficult enough task with so many options .
Hi John,

My last car was a Boxster and it had PSE and Bose. While there is wind noise, you can easily still carry on a conversation at 50mph, and enjoy the music and the sound of PSE. I don't have the specs in front of me, but I believe CDR-plus gives you around 225 watts total output so it should be more than adequate for highway driving with the top down (as mentioned the wind noise isn't as bad as in convertibles from years ago). When you really get on it you will want to be enjoying the sound of PSE more than the music anyway.

Yes, drawing a line can be a really tough thing to do (as there are so many choices to make). To me getting PSE would be more important than Bose or infotainment, so I can see getting CDR plus and PSE as a good compromise and allowing you to allocate funds to other options you may want.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 AM
johnr265
Pro

Just as follow-up, I was able to find one (out of like 20 cars) that had CDR Plus and compare to Bose. Overall, I was actually pretty impressed with the CDR Plus. Bass was quite deep and powerful (the Bose bass was really no clearer or better) and while I do think the Bose may have had a little bit more mid and high definition, it was only noticeable in back to back tests and once driving with the top down, I suspect you would be unable to tell much if any difference. I think I would be very happy with the CDR plus (and I am a hobbiest musician with an ear for music).

Just my 2c.

Last edited by johnr265; 12-20-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Hi John,

I'm glad to hear you got to test both systems back to back for a comparison. Wishing you luck with your future Boxster purchase.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 AM
Loaded981S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have Infotainment in my 981 S and had to listen to a Bose system with bluetooth music from my iPhone. The quality was horrible and I was disappointed until a person told me that if I use a CD as a source it will be so very much better. I just wish I had a CD when I was driving the demo car for 24 hours. Now my car is sitting at Prestige Porsche in Montreal waiting to finish for my bank to wire them the cash and I am soooo excited.

Quick Reply: Ipod/USB hookup on stock vs. Bose vs. CDR Plus