Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sonoma Trackday breakdown (LSD info too)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Joe, very nice driving! Good to see you and Ben ripping it up in CA.

As far as the fat old Caddys, don't get my blood pressure up.... (breathe in, breathe out, breathe in... ) As I've said before, my 90 yo grandmother can also put the right foot down in the straights... gimme a f!#$%#$ing break.

I need GT LSD as well. But mine may have to wait a bit as I'm currently looking for a Trailex (then track wheels, tires, gas cans, tie downs, brake controller, etc., etc., etc.).

BTW, my harness straps are not tied down and flap in the wind. Don't notice or care on the track but it can be noticeable on highways..
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks, but you don't need a 3.8L to shake up the GT3 crowd.... right, Ben?
All the NCAL DE Cup guys are faster than me.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
As far as PDK advantage goes, I went back and look a look at my logs vs. yours down the straights. Yes, there is a very subtle dip in acceleration as I shift, but it doesn't register as any noticeable drop in time difference between you and I. I don't think there's enough shifting going on at the tracks we frequent for PDK to make an enormous difference. Maybe a few tenths. Not a full second, IMO. It would be nice to not have to short shift to avoid mid-corner shifting though....
People frequently point to the PDK shift speed without actually looking at the real reason that a PDK car accelerates faster than it's 6MT brethren. The PDK has quite a bit shorter 3rd gear, the one you use on track more than any other gear position. 1.65 versus 1.41 is a HUGE advantage. The lion's share of 10ths that a PDK car gains per lap on an MT is based on the 3rd gear ratio and not how fast it does an actual shift. PDK shift speed being a significant advantage is a marketing and internet forum myth.

As for the previous question, I don't think you've got any sort of LSD failure on your hands. You've just got the same problem that everyone who tracks these cars has, you are driving the car harder than the LSD was designed to compensate for. 22/27%, even if it is functioning perfectly, is going to allow a lot of wheelspin and wasted acclerative force that goes into a spinning tire versus making the car go forward.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
People frequently point to the PDK shift speed without actually looking at the real reason that a PDK car accelerates faster than it's 6MT brethren. The PDK has quite a bit shorter 3rd gear, the one you use on track more than any other gear position. 1.65 versus 1.41 is a HUGE advantage. The lion's share of 10ths that a PDK car gains per lap on an MT is based on the 3rd gear ratio and not how fast it does an actual shift. PDK shift speed being a significant advantage is a marketing and internet forum myth.

As for the previous question, I don't think you've got any sort of LSD failure on your hands. You've just got the same problem that everyone who tracks these cars has, you are driving the car harder than the LSD was designed to compensate for. 22/27%, even if it is functioning perfectly, is going to allow a lot of wheelspin and wasted acclerative force that goes into a spinning tire versus making the car go forward.
Great info! Thanks! A LSD upgrade is likely in my near future.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt's the best!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 PM
bunta_garage
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

love the spyder!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Joe: You and bensf are troopers! Way to go and keep it up on the track!

Originally Posted by GTgears

Matt: Good info above.

I am back in Vail Valley, Colorado and recuperating well from my total shoulder replacement operation one month ago. I am planning to come visit you in Boulder soon!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I am back in Vail Valley, Colorado and recuperating well from my total shoulder replacement operation one month ago. I am planning to come visit you in Boulder soon!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Wow, I was not aware of this. Hope you are recovering well and uneventfully, my friend!

BTW, it must take courage to type while recuperating from a total shoulder replacement. Or is it not a huge deal since the shoulder stays still for the most part?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Wow, I was not aware of this. Hope you are recovering well and uneventfully, my friend!

BTW, it must take courage to type while recuperating from a total shoulder replacement. Or is it not a huge deal since the shoulder stays still for the most part?
Thanks, vetman. The arthritis was in my left shoulder and that was the one 'replaced'. I am right handed...so typing is not a problem. I have been driving my manual Mini JCW for a week now!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job Eduardo! Keep up the rehab via driving.

Quick Reply: Sonoma Trackday breakdown (LSD info too)