Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Boxster Spoiler

Does anyone know:

Can I defeat the automatic deployment of the spoiler in my '11 Boxster?

It auto-elevates at 80mph (I think). There is a button which will lower it once it raises itself or raise it when it is low, but my question is: is there some way to prevent it from auto-elevating at 80mph so it stays down??

Reason: This auto-elevation feature is also an auto-please-give-me-a ticket, officer feature.

TIA, CIA, etc,
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM
cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see if there is a fuse for it.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe durametric can disable it.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
98Boxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
Does anyone know:

It auto-elevates at 80mph (I think). There is a button which will lower it once it raises itself or raise it when it is low, but my question is: is there some way to prevent it from auto-elevating at 80mph so it stays down??

Reason: This auto-elevation feature is also an auto-please-give-me-a ticket, officer feature.

TIA, CIA, etc,
First almost no police officer would know that it comes up at 75mph (you have the car and aren't even sure at what mph it pops up at). Plus you can do it manually like a guy I know always has his up so this proves nothing. This is a moot point. It's there for high speed stability. You're really overthinking this and it would have no bearing in real life. Plus your speed is what gives out tickets. Having you clocked. Just enjoy your car! Life is too short and too stressful as it is to add unduly to that list.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Boxster
First almost no police officer would know that it comes up at 75mph (you have the car and aren't even sure at what mph it pops up at). Plus you can do it manually like a guy I know always has his up so this proves nothing. This is a moot point. It's there for high speed stability. You're really overthinking this and it would have no bearing in real life. Plus your speed is what gives out tickets. Having you clocked. Just enjoy your car! Life is too short and too stressful as it is to add unduly to that list.
I agree. Besides, "I gave him a ticket because his wing was up" will never stand up in court.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM
86 3point2
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
Does anyone know:

Yes, trade it for a Spyder
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 3point2
Yes, trade it for a Spyder

BTW, still loving your avatar!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Probably not a good idea to disable a safety feature designed by a bunch of smart German engineers.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

The myth of getting a ticket because the spoiler is up is just that.

Believe me the radar gun going off or the laser alarming in the officer's ear will be sufficient to get you pulled over. The spoiler could be on fire and the officer would pay it no mind. He's more interested in where your hands are and what you are doing.

Now if the spoiler is up and the highest speed limit in your area is say 45mph shame on you. You need a way to prevent the deployment of your heavy right foot in areas where excessive speed is clearly uncalled for.

You can "defeat" I guess the spoiler by removing the spoiler fuse. I would strongly urge you to not do this. Often that one needed an aerodynamic aid is not evident until one is viewing the world upside down in his car.

Be aware if you defeat the spoiler with the fuse "trick" you may get an error warning and warning light on the dash because the spoiler didn't deploy when it was supposed to. To me this is super annoying.

I defeated my Turbo's spoiler using the fuse. Had to the thing was not going up evenly.

However, the engine compartment cover electric latch release doesn't work so when I have to add oil I have to reinstall the fuse.

Speed limits in my area are 65mph and the spoiler deploys at an actual speed of 73mph (75mph indicated).

Occasionally I exceed 75mph on the freeway (it is hard not to if one wants to avoid being run into from behind or venturing over into the slow lanes, or as I refer to them the phone lanes. (Even though cell phone use is illegal there's still a lot of it going on and on a 4 lane freeway the 2 inner lanes is like playing bumper cars with real cars.)

Anyhow, the warning light comes on along with a message and annoying beep. I can dismiss the message with the on-board computer stalk but the warning light stays lit until I shut off the engine.

BTW, the car is in the shop today awaiting a new spoiler. I can't wait to have that thing back in good operating order.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never drive my Boxster at 80mph without the spoiler since the rear on these cars get very light due to the front aero dynamic that push the front down...

I have 99 problems and my spoiler is not one of them!

Enjoy your P-Car!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 518 Posts

If your car is like mine, it comes up after 70mph. And there is a reason for it coming up; don't defeat what the designers intended.

No one who doesn't own a Boxster knows at what speed it comes up. And since it stays up till the car decelerates below 50mph, there is no reason to be concerned. As Macster said, it's a myth.

Enjoy your car.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Forgot to add/mention if one gets pulled over and the officer opens with "I pulled you over because your spoiler was up and it goes up at a speed that is above any limit where you were driving", just say "I raised it manually."
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Fred, I thought maybe you were worried about increased aero drag @NJMP.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

I think, I've heard it all now. Geez.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spoiler