Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Strange stuff...

I've heard the following from a long term forum member elsewhere. I have no relations with any of the parties involved.

"well a shop in town (here) told me they had a fabspeed racing exhaust and told me it would increase my cars performance and it was only 2 months old .so I sold my remus for 800.00 free shipping 100.00 after I had paid 2500 for the remus installed .. excited I would gain more HP...

they charged me 200 to install ,after installation I posted on facebook about my new exhaust and a woman i knew in the PCA sent me a message that she just had her Fabspeed racing exhaust removed at the same shop and they told her it was a worthless piece of junk and they were throwing it in the trash .

however she still wanted to pick it up but they told her they trashed it .. little did they know she was a friend of mine from PCA so I felt the honest ting to do was remove it and give it to her ..she was totally PISSED !!! .hate to say it but probally because she was a nice person and a woman ,they thought they could scam her . she is the nicest person anyone could ever know ..

so iam out a beautifull sounding Remus Exhaust ... got screwed and times are tough for me lately so the car sits in the Garage exhaust less

me and the woman are so upset about this we are thinking of just selling the car alltogether .. P car shop Ruined the good feeling of Porsche ownership for us .. It has taken a toll on my family and not worth the stress .. I have also had a death in the family last week so my plate is pretty full
Thats my story ...

Life is short , be thankfull for the good people in your life .."

This is a follow-up post by OP today:

"Well I stopped payment on the check I wrote them so at least I am not out the $800.00 but the shop called me and said they are putting a lein hold on me for stopping payment on a exhaust that was not theirs to sell ? Wow !!"

Mods, apologies in advance if this thread isn't kosher. Please move/delete as necessary.

Last edited by the_vetman; 09-13-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i would love for them to try claiming it...

what on earth is a lein hold... i am so scared.....
Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

This is a matter for the local consumer fraud department. A phone call and a talk with someone there and after you and the other person contact the shop and try to work out a solution, which it might agree to, if not then unleash the hounds of consumer fraud hell on this shop.

All local/county/state government departments are keen to have things to do to justify their staffing, budget, in short their existence. As a result they'd go after this shop in a heart beat.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Be careful my friend!

vetman: In general, I would counsel against starting a campaign against a shop you personally don't know anything other than what someone has posted in another forum. This is all hearsay. I have read the original thread (see link below) and there aspects of the story that I find very 'odd'.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...eded-asap.html

This is how a situation like that is handled by 'normal' Porsche folks:

1st) You find out that the used exhaust you were sold by a shop & installed by them on your car APPARENTLY was not owned by that shop in the first place!

2nd) You then return to the shop with the woman who claims she owns the exhaust on your car and ask 'WTF' is going on here? Both victim and woman are local to the area and are customers of this same shop!

3rd) If neither you or the woman get a satisfactory explanation, you report the matter to the police, consumer affairs, the gov't body that regulates the shop, etc. You pick any of the avenues of legitimate complaint available to you in our society!

What is not normal is for you to hear about a claim for ownership of an exhaust you have just bought and installed by an apparent reputable shop (that is why you went there in the first place!) and immediately just take it off your vehicle and disable your car in the process! That is really ODD behaviour !

Then it gets more odd!

1) He puts a note on a forum to see if someone can take pity on his sad predicament and send him an exhaust for basically little or no money!!!

2) The victim has put a stop payment on the check to the shop, so he is NOT out any money. He could buy another exhaust from any normal supplier and get his car back in service!

3) The victim writes: "The lady that owned the Fabspeed race exhaust is super cool .. she now told me whatever I can sell the Exhaust for we will just split". Say what? So why didn't he just left it on his car and just paid the woman for it at a discount from what the shop charged him????

I am generally suspicious by nature and this story doesn't allow me to be anything but skeptical of the facts presented. I politely suggest you let the 'victim' fight his own battle and diplomatically distance both yourself and Rennlist from this 'imbroglio'. There is liability here for damaging the reputation of a business without any 'proof'. So beware and be cautious.

Saludos,
Eduardo

Last edited by Z356; 09-12-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Eduardo,

You're a much wiser man than I and I will take your advice.

I don't really care about any potential liability for myself ("young & dumb"... though I may come to regret it one day), but I'd be loathe to put Rennlist or any of the above responders (who I like and respect) in an awkward position.

I agree that it's only hearsay at this point and it's unfair to post like I did... I've edited the OP to reflect this.

Last edited by the_vetman; 09-13-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I am generally suspicious by nature and this story doesn't allow me to be anything but skeptical of the facts presented. I politely suggest you let the 'victim' fight his own battle and diplomatically distance both yourself and Rennlist from this 'imbroglio'. There is liability here for damaging the reputation of a business without any 'proof'. So beware and be cautious.

Saludos,
Eduardo
+1
Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 here.

There is definitely a scam going on, but I don't think it's the muffler shop, I think what we have here is an oldie but a goodie, all that's missing is the OP's Nigerian address to send money to.

I could smell it in Vetman's original quote. I mean, seriously, "sold my $2500 Remus for $800" "ruined the whole Pcar experience so bad they are both going to sell their cars". The moderators should get on this one ASAP, cause this is a prologue to something bigger, and it smells like a RAT.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

I was being naive and probably chose to ignore some strange aspects, because I felt sorry for the OP who I'd considered trustworthy. Well, I did some more investigation tonight and followed the issue to the original forum (i.e. not the forum where the above quote came from)... even to deleted posts by tracing backwards...

I have to say, this is one crazy mess with bizarre behavior from both sides!! I don't know who to believe, and I certainly wouldn't have gotten involved had I known about the details.

Having said that, it's time for me to wash my hands from this matter.

Last edited by the_vetman; 09-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Eduardo wins, nothing more to see here...
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I have to say, this is one crazy mess with bizarre behavior from both sides!! I don't know who to believe, and I certainly wouldn't have gotten involved had I known about the details.
Timeline of Postings by the so-called 'victim' of this fraud:

Exhibit A) Posted on 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM. He is selling an exhaust that he admits later he doesn't own! Note exhaust is 'still on car'.

"Fabspeed racing Exhaust 1 month old. Make offer fast ,these sell quickly ..its only 1 month old fits 2005 and up Boxsters I believe and 2006 and up Caymans 987 came off my 07 cayman(still on car ) .if you have a 09 and up I can get you the correct passenger side pipe so it fits correctly for no extra charge if you have a stock exhaust or other catback please let me know we can do a reduced price and a swap !!
paypal is ydnic8@comcast.net

buy it now is 1k ..I have this advertised on the other site as well so act quickly .. wont last ,trust me.Thanks Peter ..253-732-6484"

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...month-old.html

Exhibit B) Posted on 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM 'Victim' is selling his Cayman and explains reason why he didn't like the Fabspeed Racing Exhaust he had just purchased and is trying to sell in a different ad on the same forum!

"Ok guys I will send some photos ..the Remus exhaust is gone and a stock Cs exhaust will be on it any day now ..still has the Fabspeed catless Headers and will have NO Drone according to what I have heard from my buddies car with the same setup but you get all the power.. I put a fabspeed Racing exhaust on it and it was sick fast but way too loud .the drone was big time ,with the remus it was not so much at all .."

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...-modified.html

Exhibit C) Posted on 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM This will explain how he plans to make the statement 'and a stock Cs exhaust will be on it any day now' come to be a reality! The one thing about the 'victim' is that he is quite up-front about what he is doing and tells you so in his posts. By the way, he never took the Fabspeed off the car. He is selling the Fabspeed because it's 'too loud. the drone was big time'. If someone buys it, he will take the exhaust off. But in the meantime, he is not 'exhaust-less' or unable to use his car!

"987.1 exhaust needed ASAP!!!
Anyone have a 987.1 exhaust they want to get rid of ? any kind ,stock or AM .. need asap please PM me ,Thanks
tried posting in the classifieds and no luck so moderators please allow me to make this post my car is sitting with no Exhaust so help me out guys !!!

I sold my Remus after I had a good deal on a fabspeed racing exhaust but after I had it installed I found out it was a stolen exhaust !!! and I knew the person from PCA so I did the right thing and gave it back to the person who it was taken from so Iam exhaust -less ..."

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...eded-asap.html

Vetman: Where is proof of the bizarre behavior on BOTH sides?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z356
Vetman: Where is proof of the bizarre behavior on BOTH sides?
Well, it's on another forum. They're now deleted and suppressed, but I found a loophole to go back and read them... Like I said, bizarre behavior from both sides.

Please note that the other party is not an established, reputable shop and a board sponsor, but a new shop being started by a 24-yo "kid" in a building he shares with 2 other shops. Why OP took his prized possession to such place, I have no idea...

Eduardo, you have PM coming...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

BTW (forgot to mention in PM), he has time-stamped pictures of all the damage done to his car while it was at the garage (also deleted from the forum, I think, but I found a way to see them). His car has long been known to have been kept in a brand new condition (many pics of its condition and mods over many years).

Like I said, more than you probably wanted to know.....

Quick Reply: Strange stuff...