Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protect your Sport Bucket Seats!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:42 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

D,

You have got to be kidding me...grab a sharpie, and a lighter and be done with it.

Now, go drive the thing and be happy.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

unless this is going to be a museum piece or a bubble car that is never going to be driven, just drive it and forget about it. BTW, I am glad my car has the leather sport seats as I can see these buckets wearing faster over time
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Those used seats will sell at $5k easy. Maybe $5500 if you can wait a bit longer.

I'd leave them alone if you plan on driving the car. Otherwise, the new ones will end up looking the same after a year or so. Although with just a bit of care, that sort of wear does not happen.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 924 Posts

My White Spyder had Sport Buckets and in the year I owned it, wear was never a issue. If you properly enter and exit bolster wear is not a issue.

I'm not going to fight the dealer. I bought is "As is" with a Porsche Approved Warranty. The original manufacture warranty start date was punched June 2012. The dealer used a transport company that states in their documentation that they are not responsible for any scratches during transport.

The part that bugs me is the Internet Sales manager assured me that it was Brand New and it was not used for actual Car Shows (Which I knew was not true). Why else would it have the Show Finish option.

I have zero leverage in this situation and I am to blame for not physically checking out the car prior to purchase. Like I mentioned in a earlier post, I assumed that since it only had 500 miles, that it had to be like brand knew. Never assume anything... lesson learned the hard way.

I will write a letter to the sales manager and the general dealership manager and PCNA, but I'm not expecting anything to happen though as my luck with PCNA is less than stellar.

I have no intention of selling this Spyder and plan on fixing the minor blemishes. I made a vow to keep this car and I am sticking to it. Yes, to most these flaws are not worth fixing and I respect that. I on the other hand like to baby my cars. That doesn't mean I don't drive them... Heck my Spyder is my Daily Driver and I like it that way. Every time I drive it, it puts a smile on my face. Why not have that everyday?
People can rag on me all they want, but that is the way I am.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Those used seats will sell at $5k easy. Maybe $5500 if you can wait a bit longer.

I'd leave them alone if you plan on driving the car. Otherwise, the new ones will end up looking the same after a year or so. Although with just a bit of care, that sort of wear does not happen.
I hope you are right, because I plan on buying new ones and selling these to offset some of the loss. I figured it will be the easiest and quickest route.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:33 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The dealer told you the car was in perfect condition? I can't say I'm surprised...
Yeah...
Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd be happy to have the sport buckets over the sport seats like some of us Look on the bright side!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mile2424
I'd be happy to have the sport buckets over the sport seats like some of us Look on the bright side!
You too can have Sport Buckets... Joe swapped his out. It's all a matter of how much you want them. I knew from the start that my Spyder had to have Buckets and never even considered any Spyder without them.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by navanoD
You too can have Sport Buckets... Joe swapped his out. It's all a matter of how much you want them. I knew from the start that my Spyder had to have Buckets and never even considered any Spyder without them.
The problem mile2424 and bensf have is that their interiors are beige. They don't sell beige sport buckets...
Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The problem mile2424 and bensf have is that their interiors are beige. They don't sell beige sport buckets...

Yeah... that does suck... It is possible... just costly. You could order the standard black buckets, sell me the black covers ;-) and then order the sand beige leather covers from Porsche. Would cost you 10k by the time you get everything!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought some bolster covers in Alacantara that were made for this seat. I just bought them just in case after I saw the jeans my GF was wearing and getting in the car. Huge buttons on her nice booty would not like bolsters. I think I paid $100+ and I cant remember where I got them.

Velcro, and and a couple straps. Pretty cool set up. They stay in place pretty good. The Alacantara is just a little lighter than the seat (the flash makes it look ALOT lighter which it is not.)
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by navanoD
Yes, to most these flaws are not worth fixing and I respect that. I on the other hand like to baby my cars. That doesn't mean I don't drive them... Heck my Spyder is my Daily Driver and I like it that way. Every time I drive it, it puts a smile on my face. Why not have that everyday?
People can rag on me all they want, but that is the way I am.
Hey, man... yeah, you're the way you are and that's what makes you special and not exactly same as someone else. No raggin' here. I saw all the pics on dspyda.com last night and agree that they present significant blemishes, especially when taken together.

Also, we Porsche owners tend to be **** (myself included) and super attentive to things like these. I'm sure the blemishes were disappointing, but you'll get them corrected and life will go on. I'd just be happy if you kept this one... though in reality there's no reason to keep it for a vow or other people if every fiber in your being says to sell. Fingers crossed!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

why not upholster the entire seat in alcantara?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

I think a repair can be made on the existing seats. Simply trim the frayed material (there isn't that much. Then tape the stitching and redye the worn dye. I think it's actually quite handy that the worn areas are so separated from the stitching.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:43 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:
I had my leather guy check out the seats and he said repairs would be limited due to the location (directly over the threads). I had him do a quick clean up and repair what he could. Being the **** Lad I am, I decided to purchase a new set of seats from the Tequipment catalog, swap out the center Alcantara Inserts and sell the originals with the new leather center inserts.

I have them listed here with some photos:
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ket-seats.html

Quick Reply: Protect your Sport Bucket Seats!!!