Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Tire Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ben, bring your spyder on Aug 12th. We're gonna try fitting your 18" wheels on my Spyder to see if they'll fit over the PCCBs.
Ben, you've just been volunteered. Good to see that this is still a democratic society.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Give me a call please. I'll be glad to get you into something that works well. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other reason people might not be willing to try the R888s are the 30 aspect ratio sidewall vs the 35 stock ratio
1) There are wheel speed sensors on all four wheels on our cars. The rears will be traveling at a different speed than what the car is calculating since the diameters will be slightly different. This will potentially screw with ABS and traction control
2) The decrease diameter will decrease the forward rake of the car
3) larger fender gap and smaller diameter will look goofy

You might be able to 'get away with it', but coupled with Kane's review, it's not a great proposition, IMO.
I talked to TheKane about point 1) and he indicated that ABS and TC was fine.

Point 2) Some GT3 guys running NT01s have the same problem for their application due to available sizing and they indicate that the change in rake leads to more understeer. Not an ideal situation.

Ben, bring your spyder on Aug 12th. We're gonna try fitting your 18" wheels on my Spyder to see if they'll fit over the PCCBs.
Originally Posted by the_vetman
Ben, you've just been volunteered. Good to see that this is still a democratic society.
Joe, will do. Vetman, it's all good. I need Joe to run R comps so I have someone else on track to play with.

Originally Posted by the_vetman
How interesting... Thanks, Ben! I'm ashamed to admit that I previously read his post and thread... I'd just completely forgotten about it!!

Oh yeah, +1 to about Bill and rain. FWIW, I've seen posts by multiple people who drove R comp's in pouring ran (to and from the track) and they said it was "fine" as long as you were very careful. Scary, but fine nevertheless - not withstanding R6's (practically no tread).
Running Trofeos in pouring rain at Thunderhill scared the hell out of me. The rear went out down the front straight at 90mph. I think PSM saved me. I finished the session then proceeded to crawl all the way home. Not fun.

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Give me a call please. I'll be glad to get you into something that works well. Thanks!
Damon, will you guys ever carry Nittos?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bensf
I talked to TheKane about point 1) and he indicated that ABS and TC was fine.

This is what I heard as well from other track rats who use slightly different tire sizes for fitment.

Vetman, it's all good. I need Joe to run R comps so I have someone else on track to play with.

I was just kidding. I have a silly dry sense of humor...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I need Joe to run R comps so I have someone else on track to mess with.
Fixed that for you, Ben.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

There are a number of good track tires, but nothing beats Hoosier A6 for autocross.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
There are a number of good track tires, but nothing beats Hoosier A6 for autocross.
Sure, racing slicks are the best. The problem is you can't/don't want to drive on slicks up to the track. 987s don't have enough space to bring an extra set of wheels, so the majority of us will drive up on DOT approve R comp tires.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

A6 are DOT approved, too! Not really the best road-trip choice, though... especially not if it's raining...

It's really hard to find a true dual-use tire. Most popular track tires need a lot of heat before providing peak grip, which means they're rock hard and lousy for autocross. Any any good autocross tire is going to get greasy in a hurry on the track. So, it really does become a choice of track OR street OR autocross if you're going the r-comp route.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixed that for you, Ben.
I believe you have me confused with the GT-R driver in my avatar.

Quick Reply: Performance Tire Choice?