Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Time Has Come

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM
bergstsm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Time Has Come

Its been several years since my last sale of the 928. 3 kids later, it's now time to do the needful. Stalk and bag my latest kill, a midnight blue Cayman S.

Done my homework. Read the service bulletins.
Researched all the ins and outs of the 987 model i could find.
Lurked and unsuccessfully searched for the right combo for a year

And there in front of me drops the perfect match, 10 miles up the road. 06 Cayman S, manual, midnight blue/tan, 45k well maintained miles. Full service history. Good carfax.

Now the questions:

1) who is recommended in Denver to do a PPI? Car was serviced at stevinson, so I'd like an independent shop with the right reputation.
2). What should I be tuned into on the test drive? Any particulars my senses should be looking out for?
3). Any places to search out visually before even turning the key (im thinking like 914-check the battery plate/928- immediately look at the thrust bearing driveshaft travel type stuff)?
3). Any known gotchas on this car?
4). Any benefit to holding tight and reaching for an 07 instead?

This is a new world for me, having owned a 914 and 928 in the past, and I don't want to get caught unawares.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Pnug
Intermediate

I have an 07 S in Midnight blue. If you really want to know about Caymans and the ins and outs, you need to be on Planet-9 formally CaymanClub.net. First gens have oiling issues but only if you do DE and track your car. Especially if you use R compound tires and make suspension mods. 2nd Gens are better but a higher price point (new engine design and DFI). 06's have silver accent trim where mine are paint matching. I think 07's have a little better build quality but not a real issue. There shouldn't be a big price different better 06-07s.

check out P9 site and it should help you make a decision. Definitely get the over rev printout before spending too much time on the deal.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From a previous thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68981
If you want to learn about the Cayman models, from 2006 until today, you'd be hard pressed to find a better resource than the Model FAQ at the Cayman Register. Check it out here: http://caymanregister.org/faq.php?faq=models

I think you'd find the members there are very mature, informative and friendly. To get full access you'll have to be a PCA member. But that filter means that the membership is made up of real owners and Porsche enthusiasts. There are no haters, fan-boys, shills or trolls.

I'll share a little secret with you.... If you register and enter "Trial" as your PCA number, you'll get full read access for two weeks.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Depends on your plans for the car. If DD/Weekend cruises are your goal, then I'd say go with the options you like most. You won't find any significant differences between 06-08. I've owned an '08 and now an '06 and I like the '06 more as it has better options.

Now... If you're going to track the car, I'd PM Eric523 as he has a Midnight Blue Gen 1 for sale that has everything already sorted out as a double duty street/track car for a smokin' deal.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
bergstsm
Racer

Thanks a bunch. I'm going to do a night's reading tonight on what you've given me, and come back when I'm a little more educated. I've found two nice models here in Denver that may merit a PPI, but I'm willing to look well outside Denver to get the best match.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 PM
ronaldvetteron
2nd Gear

+1 on both Planet-9 and Cayman Register. Planet has a lot more members and been around a few years longer so you get more history on searches. Cayman Register is exactly as said about only owners, no advertisers, and civility is the name of the game. Planet is also pretty civil. Personally, I like being a member on several forums as you get a pretty complete picture by frequent reading and participation.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 PM
bergstsm
Racer

Two failed bids later, I've scored an 06, seal gray with 32k. Transfer is tomorrow. It feels like Christmas Eve! B&M short shifter is already ordered and on its way!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

congrats on your purchase, b&m shifter feels a little notchy,

you should look into the porsche short shift kit, way better than b&m, thats what i have in the cayman

Quick Reply: The Time Has Come