Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Boxster blown engine... what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
DonaldLL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Boxster blown engine... what's it worth?

I have a one owner (me) 2006 Boxster with 72,000 miles. I had it towed home yesterday. At first I thought I had a belt slipping but in a minute it made a metal on metal squeal, with smoke blowing out the exhaust like a crop duster. I pulled into a parking lot only to see oil dripping out of my exhaust. I can't think of a 'good' explanation for this nor a cheap fix. Estimates to replace the engine come in from $11k to $14k.

Oh yeah... it's been maintained and never abused.

Anyone have any idea how much this beautiful piece of engineering is worth as is? I just want to get rid of it; what's it worth?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Yeeesh. That's never good. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Disappointing that this could happen to a supposedly reliable car that's only 6 years old with 72,000 miles. IMS failure?

Sorry I can't help with your original question...I have no idea.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by DonaldLL
I have a one owner (me) 2006 Boxster with 72,000 miles. I had it towed home yesterday. At first I thought I had a belt slipping but in a minute it made a metal on metal squeal, with smoke blowing out the exhaust like a crop duster. I pulled into a parking lot only to see oil dripping out of my exhaust. I can't think of a 'good' explanation for this nor a cheap fix. Estimates to replace the engine come in from $11k to $14k.

Oh yeah... it's been maintained and never abused.

Anyone have any idea how much this beautiful piece of engineering is worth as is? I just want to get rid of it; what's it worth?

Thanks
That doesn't necessarily read like the engine's shot. That reads more like an AOS failed, horribly I grant you, but not in a way that is (yet) fatal to the engine.

I'd not run the engine any more, but would advise you to get the car to a qualified shop and one that is not interested in selling you a new/rebuilt engine, but one that is interested in getting your car back on the road.

I assume too that you didn't hear any mechanical knocking/ticking/clattering noises? The engine cases are intact?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
That doesn't necessarily read like the engine's shot. That reads more like an AOS failed, horribly I grant you, but not in a way that is (yet) fatal to the engine.
More information on the AOS failure. It does sound like it fits the bill: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm

Jason
Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmmm... 2006 roller? Hard to say. Maybe $7-10k at most?

Might not be a total write off though.

Best of luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 AM
DonaldLL
Intermediate

no knocking, clacking, clattering noises... not quite a belt squeal, not really a metal to metal grind but something in between. suddenly ALOT of smoke, no oil on ground, but oil accumulated and almost dripping out of the exhaust.
The link provided looks like a possibility and offers some glimmer of hope. too bad but i think the dealer would just be interested in selling me an engine. Dealer said $13k to $14k to replace the engine with factory rebuilt. They have not seen the car yet but just answered my inquiry as to how much if worst case I needed an engine. I have one source I trust. It's worth a try. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by DonaldLL
no knocking, clacking, clattering noises... not quite a belt squeal, not really a metal to metal grind but something in between. suddenly ALOT of smoke, no oil on ground, but oil accumulated and almost dripping out of the exhaust.
The link provided looks like a possibility and offers some glimmer of hope. too bad but i think the dealer would just be interested in selling me an engine. Dealer said $13k to $14k to replace the engine with factory rebuilt. They have not seen the car yet but just answered my inquiry as to how much if worst case I needed an engine. I have one source I trust. It's worth a try. Thanks for the info.
Well, you did ask for worst case and you got it.

Just be prepared when you ask your doctor about worst case...

Anyhow, before I dropped $14K on a new/replacement engine I'd want a pretty firm diagnosis the current engine needed to be replaced.

I'd be willing to spend some money (some but how much...?) in order to arrive at a high confidence level the existing engine was toast.

Some time ago (months) I priced a new/replacement engine for my 02 2.7l car: $17K with a core (the existing engine must I think be rebuildable... IOWs an engine with a hole in the crankcase is not going to satisfy the core requirement!); $26K with no core.

And in both cases neither price/quote included labor to drop the bad engine and install the new engine.

Now it may be the 2006 MY engines are cheaper, on sale, Porsche overstocked them, but that price seems a bit low to me.

I mean if the engine is toast, and can serve as a core, and you can get it replaced for the price quoted, that's great, I guess. Better than paying $16K or $27K...

So where does this leave you?

Well, right back where you (we) started. You need to get a high confidence level diagnosis of the engine's problem.

I'd like to see the oil filter housing oil and filter element. This oil and element must be removed and put into a *clean* drain pan.

What you find or don't find help chart your next move.

A check for any coolant in the oil would be a good idea.

If for instance the oil filter housing oil comes out clean (absent any metal bits) and ditto the filter element, then a compression test might be worth while.

Normally I'd advise against a compression test, but in this case you do not want to run the engine.

If the problem is a failed AOS the risk is very real the engine can suffer a hydraulic lock up -- you report there's already oil dripping from the exhaust so the odds are very high oil in liquid form is being routed to the cylinders... danger danger -- so any rotating of the engine should be done sans no plugs and using the starter only.

Or better yet ingore the above and just consult with your dealer. Do not play that worst case game.

Ask for a proper diagnosis. Now you can ask what's involved, take notes and say "I'll think about it" and come here and post and ask for input.

But no way (my feelngs anyhow) no way the dealership is allowed to throw up its arms and tell you a new engine is what is required without some effort to confirm this is the case.

The difference between an AOS and a new engine is (using the numbers you gave) is about $12.5K...

So, a few hundred dollars in labor to confirm the engine's true condition is I think something to consider.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
equ
Racer

Your car (with an engine) is worth about 16-17k in trade and perhaps 20-21k private party (unless it is in spectacular shape with loads of options, in which case perhaps another 1 or 2k). So perhaps if a salvage spot gives you 2-3k without an engine, you come about even and don't have to go through hassle of fixing.

Fingers crossed for you hoping it's just the AOS.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going with an AOS too.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I'm going with an AOS too.
+987

Quick Reply: 2006 Boxster blown engine... what's it worth?