Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy an RS 60 and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 AM
TenHut
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy an RS 60 and need advice

So, I found an RS 60. It was leased in NY and driven to Boca Raton FL. Bought at auction and brought up to IL. 27,000 miles, new tires, Great shape. Couple concerns
1) the seats were always moved as far back as possible and are now all scratched up on the backs - can that be fixed?
2) the clutch seemed a little "slow". I sat in a 2009 911 and the clutch was nice and smooth with a nice firm kick ...didn't feel that in the Boxster - How do I know the clutch is OK? Should it be different feeling than a year newer 911?
3) The brakes seems a little ...I don't know, like I had to really push hard for them to grab...a little "mushy" maybe...
4) Its number 0871... better to buy one with an early number or a later number...like 1450...?

These things concern me. Admittedly, I am a perfectionist though. So, what do you guys think? should I walk and continue my search or tell them to fix all these things before I will buy. BTW...it's a loaded with every option available that year...72,000 sticker.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

1) sure. you have to remove and get them repainted or try to polish out.
2) should feel the same as a 911. the clutch is progressive as well and completely smooth
3) they are all like that. progressive brakes. I like them. some folks here hate them.
4) same.. all are runout 987.1 cars
Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy TenHut! A PPI is always the smart move but...

1) My passenger seat was like this and I just buffed it out with rubbing compound. After doing that, I put on a 3inch square of adhesive black hard rubber (Lowe's) to protect it. Realized after doing that, I didn't need to buff the area out because it looks like some sort of factory protection. If deep, you would have to fill and paint or replace them or cover them. I was amazed that Porsche did not realize this was going to be possible and put in a stop.

2)The clutch and brake issues you feel are most likely due to air in the line or contaminated fluid. The brake/clutch fluid, which is the same system, should be flushed if not already done. If it was, whoever did it, didn't do it right. My clutch and brakes are firm, quick, responsive and linear in feel. Remember to "REMIND" the service department that when flushing the brakes, the clutch slave needs flushing too. One Master for both brakes and clutch.

3)covered

4)No difference as far as I know.

Great car for the money. I passed on a 997 Turbo for mine. 1/2 the price and 2x the fun. Besides, it's cute and sexy.

Good luck and get a PPI.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:53 PM
TenHut
Track Day

Cool. Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try to use this stuff to bargain a little. Also going to look around for someone to do a PPI...I'm thinking of approaching the guys at The Last Detail...in Lake Forest IL.
Next question (for anyone with an opinion)....interior color. Red or Gray? The dealer has one of each, similar miles. Gray has less options, but less miles (27,000 vs 24,000). Both same asking price (45K)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM
its about time...
Instructor

the red interior doesn't have the deviated carpet color option, does it? I have the red interior, but with black carpet. I love both the look and the utility for winters in MN. Much easier to keep clean.

Just a thought!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
TenHut
Track Day

Originally Posted by its about time...
the red interior doesn't have the deviated carpet color option, does it? I have the red interior, but with black carpet. I love both the look and the utility for winters in MN. Much easier to keep clean.

Just a thought!
Nope, all red. It does have matching removable mats...and I'd only be driving it in the summers...store it in the winter.

Saw a review online, and the guy said the red is "garish"... I've never owned a car with a red interior, my '08 Z4M coupe interior was black. All my daily drivers were either black or tan...this would be "different".... but honestly, that's kind of what I want..something different..something that will stand out in the sea of silver cars...
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 PM
TenHut
Track Day

wish I could figure out how to post pics here...says I need a URL..I have .gif files on my desktop...
Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the red will have a higher collector value in years to come but for now, it's personal taste.

I went looking for a 997 Turbo, but liked the Boxster better after driving one on curiosity. Liked the 987.2 Spyder but not the Top. Ended up with the RS60 as it was silver with gray interior and close to me.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 AM
TenHut
Track Day

Still looking. found a nice one on ebay, nice low miles, but way over priced. A friend who buys wholesale looked up wholesale price and feels high 30's to low 40's is appropriate. So, maybe with the release of the 981 some people will be looking to trade up and I'll find something....in the mean time, if anyone knows someone who is looking to sell...tell them about my search! thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 PM
rand007
Cruisin'

The dealer where I just bought mine had two in stock. They still have one in stock and it looked nice. Here's the link http://www.bobmoore.com/certified/Po...18afa266b1.htm

Quick Reply: About to buy an RS 60 and need advice