Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fogging windows

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:34 PM
MVDESQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fogging windows

I have a 2009 Boxster and when the temperature drops the windows fog up even with the ac on and with the ac on with recirc. How do I prevent this? The defroster takes the fog away but we cannot drive the car with the defroster on the entire time. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by MVDESQ
I have a 2009 Boxster and when the temperature drops the windows fog up even with the ac on and with the ac on with recirc. How do I prevent this? The defroster takes the fog away but we cannot drive the car with the defroster on the entire time. Thanks in advance.
Do you see the snowflake symbol light up when the A/C button depressed?

Do you feel warm/hot air flowing from the defrost vents, primarily at the intersection of the dash top and the windshield, but warm air from all the vents?

If the A/C doesn't actually come on -- although in real cold temps (32F or thereabouts and colder the A/C will not be turned on to avoid freezing the evaporator -- or for some reason warm air does not flow out the vents, there is a problem with the air flaps or air flap vents or the A/C control to name a few possible cause of this symptom.

If the A/C snowflake comes on when you press the A/C button and warm air flows from the vents (after the engine has a few moments to warm up after a cold start) then the evaporator drain may be blocked and the moisture is coming from this area or there's possibly a leak with the heater core. In the case of the heater core leak I think you'd detect the odor of anti-freeze, though.
Also, the coolant level would be down.

Be sure you check the water drains under the plastic panels under the front trunk lid, the panels on either side of the battery cover. If they are plugged water can collect and this can result in excess moisture being in the air drawn into the cabin.

While you're there check the cabin air filter is installed properly and not damp.

Unless the moisture is coming from backed up water drains or from an improperly installed cabin air filter the other possible causes will almost certainly need professional mechanic attention.

If the car is under warranty then all you need do is drop the car off at the local Porsche dealer service department and provide the details of your complaint.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

and with the ac on with recirc. How do I prevent this? The defroster takes the fog away but we cannot drive the car with the defroster on the entire time. Thanks in advance.
Turn recirculate off.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

The defroster takes the fog away but we cannot drive the car with the defroster on the entire time.
Why not? Isn't that what it's for?

I used to keep it on all the time when I lived in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and upstate NY. Then I got smart and moved to a warm climate! Not even sure where the defroster switch is now!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Turn recirculate off.
That's what I was thinking too. Recirculate is nice when it's hot out but can cause humidity issues in the cabin on cooler/rainy days.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Turn recirculate off.
Oh, yeah, recirc mode will do it. Missed that. Good catch.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 PM
MVDESQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fogging issue occurs regardless of whether or not recirculate is on or off.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

My fogging issue occurs regardless of whether or not recirculate is on or off.
Then the items I raised in an earlier post do apply, at least are things to consider.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Fogging windows