Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a PDK Tranny Track Worthy for just several D.E. events per year?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Glenn930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a PDK Tranny Track Worthy for just several D.E. events per year?

Now that the PDK has been around for 3 years, is a PDK Tranny Track Worthy for just several D.E. events per year?
I know I'm going to hear hell for this question but I'm looking for a dual purpose Porsche to be used as a daily driver in the city with traffic and also be able to take to the track and do several Driver's Ed events per year. In the past, I have had two cars. A every day normal car but a not so much fun daily driver and a weekend Porsche but I wanted to use the Porsche more often.
Question:
Can the PDK cars be that dual purpose car that I have been looking for?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes and no. ask savy, he knows.
i would buy a manual for sure.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Some comments. First, the PDK was first introduced almost 25 years ago in the 962 race car... seemed to hold up. Second, The PORSCHE driving school has had PDK cars for several years now and the last time I checked they had seem no issues because of continual tracking. Third, I have tracked and autocrossed my Cayman with PDK and have had no issues. Anything can break but it is a sturdy well designed transmission that appears to perform over time as designed. "Mdrums" , a PCA DE instructor, who posts on the 997 and GT3 boards tracks his 997 regularly and has no issues with the PDK
Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I did the Porsche Driving Experience back in Dec. After that experience, there is no way I would get a new Porsche with a manual if the PDK was available. The PDK, IMO, is mindblowingly good and is very durable, judging from comments I heard directly from the mouths of Hurley Haywood, Daniel Eastman and Cass Whitehead. Is it as visceral? Nope. But if that's what you are after, why are you buying a new Porsche at all? You should be looking at a 911SC if you need to get your "vintage racer boy" on. For the rest of us, PDK is the future and a rather bright and faster one, IMO.

For what it's worth, of all the cars I drove at Barber, it was the the Spyder that I was most impressed by.

Last edited by User 41221; 09-10-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:11 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the PDK is good/hearty enough to put in the new 911 Turbo, which can achieve 0-60 in 2.6, then I'm sure you can track a boxster with it.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
I did the Porsche Driving Experience back in Dec. After that experience, there is no way I would get a new Porsche with a manual if the PDK was available. The PDK, IMO, is mindblowingly good and is very durable, judging from comments I heard directly from the mouths of Hurley Haywood, Daniel Eastman and Cass Whitehead. Is it as visceral? Nope. But if that's what you are after, why are you buying a new Porsche at all? You should be looking at a 911SC if you need to get your "vintage racer boy" on. For the rest of us, PDK is the future and a rather bright and faster one, IMO.

For what it's worth, of all the cars I drove at Barber, it was the the Spyder that I was most impressed by.
The Spyder is very visceral while being modern. I would love to have a Beck Spyder but I would never sell the Spyder to buy one, it has to be a stablemate! Spyder's a keeper.

As for PDK, it seems the track record is very good so far. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in the long run.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Agreed, the Spyder is visceral. I was referring specifically to the tranny.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

Your post is very accurate, definitely not disagreeing with it.

Quick Reply: Is a PDK Tranny Track Worthy for just several D.E. events per year?