Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche prepaid scheduled maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche prepaid scheduled maintenance?

Just took delivery of my 2012 Boxster. What an awesome car. The sport exhaust is absolutely the coolest option available that has no rational purpose.

When I picked the car up I was offered what was said to be a new Porsche maintenance option. Prepaid scheduled maintenance. There were several mileage and cost options but one for example was prepaid scheduled maintenance for the first 30k miles or 3 years. They were charging $1550 for maintenance agreement where they said the usual charge would be $1900 if you just paid as you go. The agreement stays with the car so is transferrable if I sell. This sounds similar to the Audi service plan. Seems like a deal, as inflation could make the difference between prepaid and pay as you go even greater.

Any thoughts out there on the wisdom of this deal?

Jim
2012 Boxster
Dark Blue Metalic/Black
Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

These cars are all about emotion and the PSE does an incredible job of stirring it up!

As far as the maintenance, I think it really depends on how much you intend to drive it. It seems that an oil change should be done once a year or 10,000 miles. Total cost ranges from $190 up to $300 per oil change visit. You will also need to have the brake fluid flushed after 24 months, that will probably cost another $150.

So if you think you will be driving more than 10K/year I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 05-20-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Yea, not worth it at all. What is there really to do for the first 30k miles or 3yrs? They "check" things and charge to make sure your horn is working and your A/C, etc.. things that will know are working or not and should all be within that time spot. A total dealership rip off if you ask me. If you get it though, make sure you get the underbody rust treatment and the blinker fluids topped off. Seriously, run away from their sales talk on that....
Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Nnicvo
5th Gear

I received the same sales pitch. The dealer here offered a 3, 4, or 5 yr maintenance plan. They also offered extended warranty, interior fabric and paint sealer options. It was almost a binder of info. Slightly overwhelming. I passed on the maintenance plan. If you do purchase it, make sure they list what is covered in writing. I have Audicare on my Avant and it only includes the oil changes, not maintenance like brake fluid flushes.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcabc
Just took delivery of my 2012 Boxster. What an awesome car. The sport exhaust is absolutely the coolest option available that has no rational purpose.

When I picked the car up I was offered what was said to be a new Porsche maintenance option. Prepaid scheduled maintenance. There were several mileage and cost options but one for example was prepaid scheduled maintenance for the first 30k miles or 3 years. They were charging $1550 for maintenance agreement where they said the usual charge would be $1900 if you just paid as you go. The agreement stays with the car so is transferrable if I sell. This sounds similar to the Audi service plan. Seems like a deal, as inflation could make the difference between prepaid and pay as you go even greater.

Any thoughts out there on the wisdom of this deal?

Jim
2012 Boxster
Dark Blue Metalic/Black
The pre-paid scheduled maintenance plan is probably based on the bells/whistles services and as such the discounted price is less than the actual price would be were you to follow the schedule and pay for it out of your pocket.

Some argue and there is some basis for this argument, this servicing is well, a bit padded.

OTOH, the techs I talk too tell me that a scheduled service actually involves more than what many think (at least if it is done right).

For instance I'm told the water drains are checked/cleaned, the radiator ducts are cleaned, all vital fluid levels are checked. For instance not only the oil and brake fluid but the power steering fluid and even I have found in my car or have watched the techs do this with others in for service the washer fluid is topped up. While this is done fluid leaks are checked for both from above and under the car. I've watched the tech walk under the car shining a bright light into the nooks and crannies and behind/above all the panels (and sometimes the panels come off to allow better access, a better view of the hidden hardware) looking at things very carefully. That nothing is found means these cars are basically well designed, well made and reliable. But for those that have the luck to have a car that exhibits/manifests a problem early these inspections can prove valuable. More on this below.

Sure, one can take care of these himself, which I tend to do. So when one takes in the car he can pare the full service down to something less but still provide the car with suitable servicing. But it is important that when one does this he knows just what other things are done during a full service.

What to do? Well, I did have my new Porsche serviced at the dealer scheduled services. It was a bit expensive -- though I did as I mention above pare the service down some to cut costs -- but this was only required every 15K miles (at that time I do not know what the service interval is for your car). In between for say the 5K mile oil/filter services I did these myself, occasionally taking the car in to the dealer when I didn't have the time to do the work myself, or the weather was so bad I didn't want to work on a cold concrete floor.

One benefit from having the car treated to if not a full scheduled service a partial full service (?) is the car gets experienced eyeballs on it and any problems can be spotted early.

(For instance, I had my 03 Turbo in for an early tranny (35K miles) fluid change and when the tech removed the tranny cover he spotted a transmission seal leaking fluid and being under warranty (CPO but this works for the factory new car warranty too) the tranny was replaced. Had this not been spotted and the car came out of warranty, a replacement tranny had I gone that way would have run me over $10K.)

But back to you and what you should do? Should you take the scheduled service plan or not?

Sorry, but I can't say. Your decision.

One thing that might sway your decision is make a counter offer and see if you can the plan at a lower price. What price to counter with it up to you.

Remember though as with a car same with these service plans: you can always offer more money.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Sounds like a ripoff. The dealer I go to for service constantly sends out discount coupons (as do others in the area); typically $175 for an annual oil service.

It's not until you need brakes that routine maintenance starts to get expensive. If you drive enough to require them in 3 years, and if they are covered by the plan, then it starts looking like a good deal. But I doubt they are covered, as they are not "scheduled" maintenance items.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have wondered about the need of a 2 year flush on the brake fluid. If one is never on the track I wonder if this is necessary or just a means of them growing their business.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I have wondered about the need of a 2 year flush on the brake fluid. If one is never on the track I wonder if this is necessary or just a means of them growing their business.
The problem with brake fluid is two fold.

1. Heat will eventually break down the fluid making it less effective
2. Water will slowly increase in concentration and cause a soft pedal, less effective braking when you're really pushing it
3. That water will also damage (rust) brake lines and clutch from the inside out.

For the minimal cost it's not worth questioning the recommended service intervals.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
If it is a means of growing the dealership business, bolstering the service department's bottom line, I can think if better ways. Putting a parking meter at the head of each service bay for instance.

The cost to have this service done is rather low.

It is not a real hard job, I have done it, but I have also had it done. Messing with brake fluid around a car is not for the casual mechanic. An unobserved splash of fluid on a painted surface can have that paint surface damaged.

The brake fluid has a natural tendency to absorb moisture from the air. The system is vented to atmosphere and there is a good exchange of air over time.

If this brake fluid is not flushed regularly the brake fluid's abilty to resist boiling is severely impaired and under hard braking -- granted braking not likely most of us will enage in on public roads but still... -- the brake fluid can boil and the braking performance willl be compromised.

Of course on the track the fluid can get quite hot and one doesn't want compromised braking going too hot into a sharp corner. There is the safety factor, too. Even if you don't give a hoot about your car's brake system at least give a hoot about others that may be on the track with you.

Another problem is over time the water will corrode the hydraulic system's wet surfaces, brake lines, pistons, and calipers and so on.

Have to replace just a portion of a car's brake lines or one or more calipers and pistons etc and the money saved skipping brake fluid services will be very small compared to what it will cost to put things right.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I guess I'm passing on the prepaid maintenance. It always irritates me that I'm charged for lubing the door hinges, etc, when I can do that sort of thing myself. I probably will opt for the full boat service the first time to have experienced eyballs on it - as Macster says. When I bought my Audi A6, it was the last year of 40k included scheduled maintenance. As I recall, I figured the difference in list price from the next model year was about $700. A lot less than maintenence agreement with the Boxster.

BTW - love the Boxster. Why didn't I buy one a couple of years ago?

Jim
2012 Boxster
Dark Blue Metalic/Black

Quick Reply: Porsche prepaid scheduled maintenance?