Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB lightweight rear hatch for my Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:44 AM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
My original thought on the wing, because my car also will have a wing, is that the wing would be chassis mounted or possibly mounted to the sides where the hatch and body/qtr panels meet. I figured that would be more supportive than any hatch and also allow it to be made lighter.
But I will take this into consideration and let you know. Since I too will have a large wing there will be some way to have a wing with this hatch setup I promise. I will also let all know the wing/front splitter setup I am going with so if someone wants it it could be a complete package. I will also do some testing to be sure the wing and front splitter are a close match for down force and proper handling.
I tried the chassis mounted method. We cut through the rear quarter panels and placed the uprights through the panels to the chassis. Not a great idea. It's probably more effective, but the hatch has clearance issues (known ahead of time) and the cuts are difficult to place where the structural integrity isn't compromised. i.e. It's difficult to get right, and you're still stuck with the clearance issues - that got annoying after a while.

We're re-mounting the wing to the decklid and cleaning up the quarter panels.

I have a Kognition rear wing with a Bodymotion front splitter. I think it'll be well matched, but I have someone else working on a more aggressive front splitter. Will share results as well.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:07 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman_Sense
I tried the chassis mounted method. We cut through the rear quarter panels and placed the uprights through the panels to the chassis. Not a great idea. It's probably more effective, but the hatch has clearance issues (known ahead of time) and the cuts are difficult to place where the structural integrity isn't compromised. i.e. It's difficult to get right, and you're still stuck with the clearance issues - that got annoying after a while.

We're re-mounting the wing to the decklid and cleaning up the quarter panels.

I have a Kognition rear wing with a Bodymotion front splitter. I think it'll be well matched, but I have someone else working on a more aggressive front splitter. Will share results as well.

I am very curious to hear/see your results, I think the only way I would mount the wing exclusively to the rear hatch would be if there were a support just inside of the hatch supporting to the floor inside the car. I will look at options available and post thoughts here. It's a fine balance between doing this hatch / wing to reduce weight and yet still be strong enough to support the added downforce the wing may be capable of.

So on your car currently with the Kognition wing does it have the Kognition mounts also ? Can you send any detailed pictures of the wing and current mounting ? PM me for my email if you would like.

Thank you,
Viking
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Hergesheimer Motorsports is re-mounting the wing. They're going to ensure it's reinforced and the hatch can handle the weight. This would be an interesting consideration for the CF Hatch as pointed out earlier. If it can handle 600lbs of downforce, that's the max the Kognition wing can put down (though I doubt I'd want the drag).

My car has the Kognition uprights but Hergesheimer's is going to redesign an appropriate mount. I'll get some details pics of the mounts as it's finished. I'll definitely post it up here as it's a relevant post.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Update - working on this, have a mold being made off of the factory hatch now and will make up the first rear hatch in carbon fiber so I can show pictures and weight of the first one and then see how many we need to make.
The first one will be with a Lexan rear window although there will be a option to just reuse the factory glass should you want a real glass instead.
Still considering some options for rear wing and supports.
Will update more as I get it ready.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 AM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. Keep us updated!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 PM
DR_Speights
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in

Very interested in this CF and Lexan option.

I used big tubing for cage for safety and now I'm over weight 70lbs for my class!

PCA Club Racing - GTB1 #29 Red 2009 Cayman S

Dave
Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We mounted the wing to the hatch and have raced the car for 1.5 years without issue. The uprights mount to posts that are fastened to the hatch panel and transfer the load to the chassis.

The posts pass through the top layer of the hatch (located by welded/riveted flanges) and are bolted from the bottom through the lower layer. These bolts then bottom out on the chassis via the hatch frame that is more than rigid enough to handle the downforce.

I suspect that if the CF or GRP hatch were reinforced at these attach points that this same technique would work fine.

Sample photos:

Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

How many people are still interested in a CF lightweight rear hatch ?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am. But again I am unfamiliar with what a quality piece would cost.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Im interested. Any progress?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How many people are still interested in a CF lightweight rear hatch ?
I am interested. Either CF or GRP are OK.

It is probably smart to ensure that the hatch is strong enough to to accept a wing mount (integrated mounting posts or brackets may be a good idea).

Cheers,
Old 07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Long story short but I have one currently being made, so I will have pictures and an actual product soon to show and weigh, etc.

Hope to update more very soon and be able to put some of these on a few cars. Current product is geared more as a race only hatch although it could easily be made as a street car part as well fora little more $$
Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a carbon hatch on eBay now for $600. Half the weight with no glass.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
There's a carbon hatch on eBay now for $600. Half the weight with no glass.
The true CF material and resin alone will cost close to $600.00 I am not sure this will be either true CF, maybe FRP with a layer of CF on top, or just not made as it should be. I would be curious how much this piece weighs.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The true CF material and resin alone will cost close to $600.00 I am not sure this will be either true CF, maybe FRP with a layer of CF on top, or just not made as it should be. I would be curious how much this piece weighs.
Call them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: WTB lightweight rear hatch for my Cayman S