Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS... Get it while you can...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

PTS is confirmed but finding an allocation proves to be more difficult. Like you I'm probably going to stick with the Basalt and Black since it's a color I love and relatively unique.

Curious if anyone has one on order yet though.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I think you might remember some of my old posts talking about the possibility of PTS in the Spyder or Cayman R and the tell-tale signs PAG was giving us that it might be coming. "Re: MY2012's....Seems pretty clear we will see MY2012 Boxsters and Caymans built on the old 987 platform starting later on this Spring/early Summer of 2011. I believe these MY2012 987's will continue to be built until early Spring of 2012, when the MY2013 production will start on the new Boxster/Cayman platform. We still don't know 100% if there will be a MY2012 Spyder but my guess is 'YES' and that they will allow PTS to provide an incentive for sales as this model goes into the sunset." Some here doubted if PTS was possible or even if we would have a MY2012 Spyder? Do you remember those exchanges Cayman? or Alan? or Buck?

But in any case, I think PTS is a great option that those considering a MY2012 Spyder. Like many here - and in other forums like Planet 9 that have also posted to your thread, Cayman- PTS is particularly valuable (as an option) if you chose a color not currently in production and that is considered by the knowledgeable Porsche market as stunningly beautiful! Vintage colors like Signal Green, Gulf Orange & Mexico Blue fit that description. These are particularly striking hues and have a 'history' with Porsches dating back from the late sixties! If you go with one of these striking colors, as opposed Meteor Gray, perhaps you might get something back (when you sell) from your initial $5,500 investment. Call it the 'unique' factor in re-sale. But mostly, you have to write off that $5,500 as your own personal enjoyment 'expenditure' for having such a unique color on your car for the period you plan to have it.

The problem with this March 25th dateline is that none of us have time to carefully plan the exterior and interior combination that would be suitable for a proper (and satisfying) PTS experience. For example, you might be able to opt for an 'RS Orange' Spyder on short notice, since that is a color PAG has already some experience doing on both a 911 and a Boxster. But we don't know if they will allow you to order deviating stitching in the orange thread, like you saw to good effect on so many 07/08 gt3 RS's. Orange is not a color currently offered in deviating stitching on a Spyder. And with a dateline in 8 days, I doubt Porsche Exclusive will come up with a definite answer in the short period remaining to decide. I was in communications with Porsche Exclusive for one whole month back in November re: a PTS Spyder or Cayman R before I decided not to pursue it since PTS had not yet been decided at a higher level. But for those of you that are ready to order a Spyder at this time, I say choose the most unique color your heart desires and go with it! The return on your investment will come everytime you take a look at your car and say 'That is such a cool color!' I know I thought that everytime I laid eyes on my very special PTS 'Signal Green' 997.1 Carrera S! Saludos, z356 (Carmel)
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2011, 01:59 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 951 Posts

Z356,
Yes, I admit I was wrong in previous post with you. One thing I have learned is never believe what PNCA says. Heck, they called me just last week to notify me that PTS is not available and will not be available in the foreseeable future.

I also agree ordering Meteor or any other existing Porsche standard color would be a huge mistake. IMHO it makes no sense paying $5500 for a color that isn't special or different.

My poll on planet was interesting. I ended up deciding on Suzuka Grey Metallic with Black Full Leather Interior and Black Wheels (The one that got the least votes) Personally it's a color I love and feel that's special and different without screaming. I loved it on my Audi Exclusive ordered TTS. In every light it transforms and looks unique. The closest thing Porsche has offered is the Sport Classic Grey, which is solid and not metallic or pearl. I'm going to try and get Porsche to paint my intakes and mirrors black too.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to submit my official order and deposit.

Comparison to White:

In the Garage:

In direct sunlight:

Cloud cover:

R8 in Suzuka:

Photos do not do it justice at all.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 03-19-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is an amazing color, I would seriously consider ordering in the same color if I had the opportunity.

It blends white and grey together but with a pearl coat. Should show off the lines of the Spyder very nicely.

Good for you to go with what you want!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Z356,

You called it ... I did not believe it at the time. The challenge right now is finding a dealer that has an allocation. The dealer I got my red Spyder from had one, but they swapped it for a Speedster allocation and no longer have one. They are trying to get on, but no luck so far.

If anyone is aware of one please PM.

thank you
Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

How about this ...

http://euroclassics.porschedealer.co...64070/info.php
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is Maritime Blue it is a C4S and is just on the ground
Old 03-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Cayman: Go with your gut feeling and do Suzuka. As you know, one of my fellow students at the R8 Driving Experience at Infineon (Sears Point) last June had a beautiful v10.

Buck: I am sending some emails to my dealer contacts to see if anyone has a last minute allocation. Maritime Blue or Riviera Blue are other striking colors that I would think would look terrific on the Spyder!

Marine Blue: The other thing I greatly like about this PTS possibility by March 25th is that it probably will assure you of a MY2012 Spyder rather than a MY2011. You might think that doesn't matter much, but it will have a significant effect on resale value when that times come. Give it some thought if you can change your order.

Best of luck to all who are seeking to get a PTS Spyder. You will not regret it. Saludos, z356
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts
Default ordered

z356,

you must have some well-placed contacts or maybe you are an insider
I have kept the faith all along and applaud PCNA for opening up Paint to Sample
on the Spyder, a great opportunity for those who are interested!

your collection of Porsches is exceptional, too

Originally Posted by Z356
Best of luck to all who are seeking to get a PTS Spyder. You will not regret it. Saludos, z356
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Thank you JSF101. I am particular proud of some of the rare and unusual colors on the Porsches I own - 'Crystal Blue', 'Signal Yellow' and 'Signal Green'. But let me say this about special dealer connections or 'insider' knowledge. In general, I am not any better connected than anyone with broadband access and a telephone. Like many here, I have studied PAG over the years and have seen a pattern emerge as older platforms are about to be replaced. So we could have predicted the rash of 'special editions' - Spyder, Cayman R, 911 Sport Classic, 911 Speedster, 911 GTS, 911 Black Edition, 911 gt3 RS Limited Edition. So anticipating PTS to be offered on the Spyder, a model which had the LEAST choices of color options from day one, was not particular psychic.

Actually, the best clue PTS was coming was found on PAG confidential 'order guide' that was leaked by Planet 9. I read it from top to bottom and was struck by a reference to a future Paint to Sample in the Cayman R, but also a future 'Interior to Sample', something we have not yet talked about in this forum. I figured that if PAG was going to do it for the Cayman R (which was introduced last Nov with double the number of paint choices versus the Spyder), PTS was going to be a sure bet for the Boxster Spyder!

What was interesting to me was the manner in which PAG, Porsche Exclusive and PCNA all denied that PTS was going to be a reality. My Porsche dealer, or me directly, contacted quite a number of managers at PAG and PCNA trying to get them to approve PTS on the Spyder. Their denials always came with a caveat, e.g. 'at this time, PTS is not available'. So I knew it was a question of time and they didn't want to say anything to damage the current allocations and customer orders by 'confusing' the public with a PTS choice they were not yet ready to produce.

Rather than wait in 'limbo', I personally decided to go a different route - a PTS 'Signal Green' 997.1. But I never lost faith that PTS was coming, one way or another, on the Spyder. This particular model lends itself perfectly to this type of personalization and will look great in exotic colors. To tell you the truth, the one thing that is worrying me re: their PTS announcement this week, is the actual March 25th dateline for just the Spyder. It might mean that Spyder production will be curtailed, or ended, sooner than I expected. I expected them to be, like the Cayman R, continued as a MY2012, and produced until the new Boxster/Cayman platform is introduced in the spring of 2012 as a MY2013. So this 'rush' re: March 25th might mean that Spyder production might not survived into the Fall.

It also means that most folks will not have enough time to carefully study their PTS options and interior choices, either making the wrong choices which they may later regret or not fully having the unique exterior / interior that perhaps could have been selected if one had more time to think about it and talk to Porsche Exclusive (like I did) over the course of a month or two. This is too bad since the ordering process for a PTS should be one of the most enjoyable things to experience in selecting your special car!

Also note that PAG is doing odd things again with colors. The PCNA Cayman R built site just deleted 'Speed Yellow' as a choice for the Cayman R. It is still available for the regular Cayman and the Boxster, so it's not a technical problem with the paint adhering to metal or plastic. I interpret this as a blatant way to get those who want that color to have to pay $5500 via the PTS route. That is not good marketing. People notice when you try to pull stunts like this. z356

Last edited by Z356; 03-19-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've decided to stick with the Basalt Black. As Z356 points out, rushing a color choice can result in picking something you may not be happy with and 5 days isn't enough to chase down an allocation and pick the right color.

So I should be picking my Basalt Spyder in the next two or three weeks.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

I totally agree with Z356 on the PTS ordering process. It's something that takes time and thought. I too was disappointed about the tight window to order. Luckily I have done this before with Audi's paint to sample program. I actually wanted to do PTS when I did my first Spyder order which like Z356 was denied. I wanted Suzuka back then as much as I do now. Yes, there are other colors that catch my eye, but Suzuka is the color that makes me drool. PTS is all personal

I submitted my deposit and order spec today at my dealer. I should know hopefully by this Wednesday if it accepted or not. My dealer currently didn't have a build slot, but said it shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully he is right.

I also agree with Z356 that the tight window is a good sign that the Spyder production is coming to an end soon. The Cayman R will continue as no deadline was posted for PTS.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, vw own porsche and audi, so that paint gotta be easy to access, somehow....
good luck with it!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:34 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
well, vw own porsche and audi, so that paint gotta be easy to access, somehow....
good luck with it!
Thanks Jimmy,
That was my thinking too. Should be easy to get.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cayman I'm sure they will give you the ok on the paint as long as they can get the allocation.

I saw Basalt today at the local cars and coffee and I can say that I made the right choice from the existing color palette although I do admit that having a custom color would be cool and ordering a car exactly the way you want it is even cooler!

Keep us posted if you make progress on the PTS. I suspect there will be very very few PTS Spyders out there considering the short time frame.

Quick Reply: PTS... Get it while you can...