Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman as DD

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cayman as DD

So I'm thinking about my next DD. Posted on the 993 board as well so I won't go into details here other than to say it seems I may have narrowed my search down to a Nissan Leaf or Cayman. I think I it's safe to say that this statement might be the first time that the Cayman and Leaf have ever been paired in a buyer decision process.

Anyway.....Looking for recommendations on 2007 or 2008. Don't think I want to go 2009 as this is a DD and I'm not looking to put too much into a car that will likely pile up the miles. What should I expect to pay for a good 2007/2008 20-30k mile car in great condition? Any issues or benefits with one year over the other year? Also, dealers seem to be priced quite high and I like to deal with solid private owners but I also am hearing a lot of you talking about the value of a dealer warranty. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If owning a Leaf means not owning a Porsche at all, well, that just seems sad.

The leaf could be a fine appliance for driving to/from work. Low "running " costs.. popular, appeals to any "green" friends.. just hope ATL is well stocked with summertime electricity. if you only drive <50 miles/day it makes sense.

That said... really? Leaf vs Cayman? what are you thinking man! Cayman would make a great DD. Reasonable fuel mileage.. comfy.. sporty.. good looking..

Other than all the other M97 engine issues, it should be a fine car for DD. S or Non S, find the nicest that fits your budget and have a PPI performed.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by racer
If owning a Leaf means not owning a Porsche at all, well, that just seems sad.

The leaf could be a fine appliance for driving to/from work. Low "running " costs.. popular, appeals to any "green" friends.. just hope ATL is well stocked with summertime electricity. if you only drive <50 miles/day it makes sense.

That said... really? Leaf vs Cayman? what are you thinking man! Cayman would make a great DD. Reasonable fuel mileage.. comfy.. sporty.. good looking..

Other than all the other M97 engine issues, it should be a fine car for DD. S or Non S, find the nicest that fits your budget and have a PPI performed.
Thanks for the comments. I know, its a strange choice, the Leaf or Cayman. Its my green side tugging at my guy side! Owning a leaf does not mean not owning a porsche. I still have the TT.

I'll do a search on the M97 issues...not familiar with that. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

In Atlanta where it's (mostly) a decent weather state, a Cayman would be a great DD. It has a practical trunk (plus another one up front), is easy to get in and out of, sounds awesome, etc. If price is the issue, I'd suggest an '09 base Cayman over an '07-08 Cayman S. The newer cars are much better with improved telematics (nav, bluetooth, satellite radio, iPod, etc.) and the engines are really strong.

That said, I had an '07 base Cayman and it was a fun little car. I'd own another Cayman, no question.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
In Atlanta where it's (mostly) a decent weather state, a Cayman would be a great DD. It has a practical trunk (plus another one up front), is easy to get in and out of, sounds awesome, etc. If price is the issue, I'd suggest an '09 base Cayman over an '07-08 Cayman S. The newer cars are much better with improved telematics (nav, bluetooth, satellite radio, iPod, etc.) and the engines are really strong.

That said, I had an '07 base Cayman and it was a fun little car. I'd own another Cayman, no question.
Thanks for the comments. Price is only an issue in that I really don't like to spend too much on a car that is going depreciate quickly with the miles I'll put on. Hadn't thought about an '09 base versus an '07 or '08 S. I'd prefer to stay in the $35-$42k price range. Is there a lot of difference between the S and the base car? Sorry I have not yet done my research....just starting this.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gen II base: 2.9 liter NON DFI motor.. 255-265 hp vs the Early S 290hp. check the porsche website
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Cayman S is a wonderful daily driver. A totally modern, practical, civilized and easy to drive and live-with, car. Plenty of storage for a trip to the grocery store or a weekend getaway.

I think my C4S and a Cayman S make a great duo!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer
Gen II base: 2.9 liter NON DFI motor.. 255-265 hp vs the Early S 290hp. check the porsche website
The thing is, it's not all about HP. 260hp is PLENTY in the real world (consider original 911 Turbos had 260!). For the jump in quality, telematics, switchgear, etc. in the '09+ cars, I think it's worth it, esp. on a daily driver. The key thing is to drive them both back to back. Personally, I had the "baby" 2.7L base Cayman (an '07) and it was a LOT of fun.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
Thanks for the comments. Price is only an issue in that I really don't like to spend too much on a car that is going depreciate quickly with the miles I'll put on. Hadn't thought about an '09 base versus an '07 or '08 S. I'd prefer to stay in the $35-$42k price range. Is there a lot of difference between the S and the base car? Sorry I have not yet done my research....just starting this.
My local dealer has a black 2009 base CPO Cayman with about 3k miles on it asking $42k. Been sitting there for a few months. It's Porsche North Olmsted: http://north-olmsted.porschedealer.c...ned/search.php
Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Having owned a 993 for 8 years prior to the Cayman S, I feel compelled to join in the discussion. The thing that surprised me the most about the Cayman is how easy it is to use as a daily driver. I think you will really enjoy the contrast between the Cayman and the 993, too. The last of an era and the first...that would be very cool to own.

I would recommend a private sale over the dealership. I looked at both, and could not see the justification in the dealer price point. For the price, you can buy from a private seller and get an aftermarket extended warranty if that is your concern.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Optical TDI

What color is the car in your avatar?

BTW, to the OP, Boxster/Cayman make great DDs, as well as nice cars for long trips. My wife and I have put over 125K miles on each of ours, including a couple of 3 week driving vacations.

The cost and putting miles on the car will bother you initially, but the more you live with the car, the more you will think everyone else is crazy for not DD their cars.

I feel sad every time I see a 4-5 year old car that has 10-15K miles on it.

Have fun!

Last edited by stevecolletti; 03-24-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added answer to OP
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (01-14-2022)
Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly suggest a CPO from a dealer. Trust on that. Aftermarket warranties can be junk and a hassle to deal with. A Certified Pre Owned from Porsche is worlds above and it has to be in great shape to be a CPO.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by 81911
I highly suggest a CPO from a dealer. Trust on that. Aftermarket warranties can be junk and a hassle to deal with. A Certified Pre Owned from Porsche is worlds above and it has to be in great shape to be a CPO.
yes, I have seen that mentioned by several on this board. I continue to look around....Rennlist, local dealers, Ebay but am now trying to focus on CPO cars. Prefer a 2007 or 2008 in white if I can find one. Still have not accepted the idea of anything but manual despite my commute here in ATL. Let me know if you see or here of any excellent cars preferably under 25k miles.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
yes, I have seen that mentioned by several on this board. I continue to look around....Rennlist, local dealers, Ebay but am now trying to focus on CPO cars. Prefer a 2007 or 2008 in white if I can find one. Still have not accepted the idea of anything but manual despite my commute here in ATL. Let me know if you see or here of any excellent cars preferably under 25k miles.
I'll PM you if I find something to your liking. I'll tell you, I've drove a PDK on the track and considering ATL traffic I would esp get PDK. That's me though. I can't get over how well it did on the track.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by 81911
I'll PM you if I find something to your liking. I'll tell you, I've drove a PDK on the track and considering ATL traffic I would esp get PDK. That's me though. I can't get over how well it did on the track.
Thanks much. I did just notice a base 2008 Cayman on ebay. It is at Mercedes of Buckhead. Black, manual 12k miles and they are asking $38.9. Price seems to be ok considering that this is the asking price. Downside is that it is not a CPO car and is a base car. Also not sure what reputation Mercedes of Buckhead has.

Quick Reply: Cayman as DD