Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman as DD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goes without saying amigo!

Originally Posted by BradB
Cayman S is a wonderful daily driver. A totally modern, practical, civilized and easy to drive and live-with, car. Plenty of storage for a trip to the grocery store or a weekend getaway.
On my second Snapper S and they do their thing so damn well on a daily basis.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Still in the hunt. I think I've now decided that if I'm going to get a Cayman, I need to hold out for w white and sand beige or white with red interior. Seems that white is not a common color, is that correct?

So....my wish list is: 2008 CS, manual, white w/ sand, red or gray interior. If I find one, would like to change out the stock wheels for black.

Willing to be patient.....
Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, a friend of mine has a 2008 white with black for sale. It has been lowered a bit and has the Turbo wheels. It's in great shape, owned by an enthusiast. Let me know if you would consider black interior.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Hey, a friend of mine has a 2008 white with black for sale. It has been lowered a bit and has the Turbo wheels. It's in great shape, owned by an enthusiast. Let me know if you would consider black interior.
Thanks for the note. Do know mileage mods and condition? I'd prefer a lighter interior. Also have been listening to those who say I should go with a CPO car. With that said, would be interested to know more about your friends car. pics?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 AM
elmesr
1st Gear

Default One difference you should consider

Pre 2009 Caymans (and other Porsche models) do have an issue with IMS failures. Do a Google search, the problem is well documented. Porsche eliminated the IMS from the 2009 direct injection engine and IMO that along with the other changes made that year make it well worth the extra $$.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
So I'm thinking about my next DD. Posted on the 993 board as well so I won't go into details here other than to say it seems I may have narrowed my search down to a Nissan Leaf or Cayman. I think I it's safe to say that this statement might be the first time that the Cayman and Leaf have ever been paired in a buyer decision process.

Anyway.....Looking for recommendations on 2007 or 2008. Don't think I want to go 2009 as this is a DD and I'm not looking to put too much into a car that will likely pile up the miles. What should I expect to pay for a good 2007/2008 20-30k mile car in great condition? Any issues or benefits with one year over the other year? Also, dealers seem to be priced quite high and I like to deal with solid private owners but I also am hearing a lot of you talking about the value of a dealer warranty. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Late to this thread. I have a 993 Ruf BTR and since 2007, drive a Cayman as a DD.

Assuming you do not need to ferry kids in your DD, the Cayman is a great car. It is modern and pampering. It has all the power you'll need in regular traffic, and ample trunk spaces (yes there are 2 trunks) for most of my needs. It is nimble and you can park it anywhere. Tons of fun to drive and very decent gas mileage, especially for a Porsche. It is cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, and even in the most basic form, still have all the nice touches one appreciates in a car.

I'd hunt for a CPO unit. They take terrible depreciation hits and dealers will deal with serious buyers. I keep my cars forever so I bought new. In retrospect, if I had the patience, I should have waited for a CPO one myself.

GL with your hunt.

CP
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by CP
Late to this thread. I have a 993 Ruf BTR and since 2007, drive a Cayman as a DD.

Assuming you do not need to ferry kids in your DD, the Cayman is a great car. It is modern and pampering. It has all the power you'll need in regular traffic, and ample trunk spaces (yes there are 2 trunks) for most of my needs. It is nimble and you can park it anywhere. Tons of fun to drive and very decent gas mileage, especially for a Porsche. It is cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, and even in the most basic form, still have all the nice touches one appreciates in a car.

I'd hunt for a CPO unit. They take terrible depreciation hits and dealers will deal with serious buyers. I keep my cars forever so I bought new. In retrospect, if I had the patience, I should have waited for a CPO one myself.

GL with your hunt.

CP

Thanks.. Still in the hunt and the reason is that we have decided to wait for a CPO car. Dealer has a "loaner" that they may be willing to take off that program and sell as CPO car but not sure what the mileage is and whether they are willing to be aggressive on pricing? Will know that on Wednesday. Do you mind saying what type of discount dealers are willing to do off list for new cars? My thought is that this loaner then should see some additional deduction depending on mileage.

Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the input. We're sold....just need to find the right car.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I test drove a 2010 Cayman S demo car here back in January. It had 7K miles w/ PDK and they were asking $71K.... list was $77K but we only have one p-dealer here so their prices always seem hi.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got bids of 0 to 5% for ordering a new Cayman S from all of the dealers in TX
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I got bids of 0 to 5% for ordering a new Cayman S from all of the dealers in TX
That's what I'm wondering. Are discounts really that thin on new caymans? Even 5% on a $65k car is only $3,250 off list.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You may have better luck getting discounts on cars sitting on their lots. They get very few allocations for Caymans. I guess if you catch someone about to lose an allocation because they don't have a buyer, you may be able to do better. Cars being ordered now are 2012's, so it's worth paying a little more to have one a model year newer than those on lots, unless you plan on keeping it for a long time.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Well I found a car to my liking. 2011 with the following options. Its has 2300 miles, has not been titled and they will sell for $56k with CPO warranty or $54,500 with regular warranty. It listed @$60k new. Not really much of a discount but its the right car. Thoughts? Am I likely to get them to drop the price to $54k with the CPO?

840 - PDK3-spokeSportSWw/ShiftPaddle
605 - Daytime Running Lights
603 - Bi-Xenon Headlights incl.Porsc
573 - Automatic Air Conditioning
490 - Sound Package Plus
409 - 18" Cayman S II Wheel
P4N - Convenience Package
288 - Headlight Washers
268 - Rain Sensor
267 - Automatically Dimming Interior
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
XSC - Porsche Crest Embossed on Head
342 - Multi-stage Heating System
Price $60,000.00 USD
Old 04-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
Well I found a car to my liking. 2011 with the following options. Its has 2300 miles, has not been titled and they will sell for $56k with CPO warranty or $54,500 with regular warranty. It listed @$60k new. Not really much of a discount but its the right car. Thoughts? Am I likely to get them to drop the price to $54k with the CPO?

840 - PDK3-spokeSportSWw/ShiftPaddle
605 - Daytime Running Lights
603 - Bi-Xenon Headlights incl.Porsc
573 - Automatic Air Conditioning
490 - Sound Package Plus
409 - 18" Cayman S II Wheel
P4N - Convenience Package
288 - Headlight Washers
268 - Rain Sensor
267 - Automatically Dimming Interior
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
XSC - Porsche Crest Embossed on Head
342 - Multi-stage Heating System
Price $60,000.00 USD
If that was an S and located near me I'd be tempted to take my Turbo and Boxster and check book to the dealer and buy that sucker.

Not sure you need the CPO warranty. The car's an '11 and has just 2300 miles. The warranty doesn't start until the car is sold so you get 50K miles and 4 years.

However, I suspect the car has been 'punched' and the warranty started counting when this was done. The dealer should tell you but you'll have to ask.

Even so, problems occur from miles driven and the car's 2300 miles counts towards manifesting any problems the car might develop while in (or out of) warranty.

But if you want the CPO warranty tell them you'll buy the car for $54.5K with the CPO warranty. Or offer less and then if they refuse your offer (and they will) bump your offer by say $250. Then if they refuse that offer (and they will), bump by $125. And take your time before you counter. Walk out side out of earshot -- but do not walk over to the car! -- and act like your thinking. Take out your calculator and punch in numbers. Make notes on a small notebook you have with you. Make a cell phone call and be a bit animated while on the phone.

The car should be treated to a an/oil filter service, and have the alignment checked. Have the DME overrev readout read. Even thought the car equipped with a PDK it would be nice to have this in front of you so you can see if the car's been taken to redline alot in those 2300 miles.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 PM
tripleblack
Racer

That looks like a decent build. Unless I missed it the build appears to exclude sports chrono. A number of PDK CS owners seem to think it's important / necessary. I believe it can be purchased from dealers for around $1200.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by tripleblack
That looks like a decent build. Unless I missed it the build appears to exclude sports chrono. A number of PDK CS owners seem to think it's important / necessary. I believe it can be purchased from dealers for around $1200.
Thanks for the comments. Can the dealer add chrono at the dealership?

Quick Reply: Cayman as DD