Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 S in PA

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Oneslip
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 S in PA

Just curious if anyone in here is from PA & is familar with Unique Autos in Bridgeville? I have been looking for a used 987 and get nervous with strictly used car dealers. It looks like they sell mainly high end and they are very optimistic on the pricing of this vehicle. Appreciate any info. Thanks gang!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Damon in Pittsburgh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the market - maybe by the end of the summer - for a 987s (currently an s2000 owner) and drove this because it was in the area last october. The car felt solid - i am by no mean an expert - and was in pristine condition as far as i could see. I saw a denison ICE ipod cable but did not test it. I have an iphone 4g so many times the newer models dont work with these retrofits anyways. Not my color combo and i do have some concerns about low mileage garage queens.

The dealer is laid back (basically the owner and a manger) and seems to do a good job picking up nice examples of german cars at the auctions. They allowed me to take the boxster and a m3 convertible out alone. They also get a lot of inexpensive jeeps off lease which opens them up to some negative reviews online it seems.

The benefit if you consider this car is you have two good mechanics within five minutes for a PPI. McB autosports has a mechanic (he does my maintenance and track inspections for my s2000) that was a mechanic for autopalace porsche in pgh as well as:

Porsche Specialties
371 Carol Avenue, Bridgeville, PA 15017-2341
(412) 221-1855 ‎

Which maybe some folks here might know these folks i have heard they are very good.

Let me know if there is anything else i can do.

regards,

damon
Old 02-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Oneslip
Track Day

Thanks for info, I appreciate letting me know that there is a place pretty close for a PPI. I'm still on the fence since it is an 05 with the whole IMS issues thing and have not made an offer but like I said, they are very, very optimistic in thier pricing.
I did see the negative reviews on-line that is why I asked.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Damon in Pittsburgh
Rennlist Member

yeah their pricing is way off especially because the low mileage becomes a bad thing with the 987.

Did you see this CPO in eastern pa?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-Low...item2c56d93310

I think that is a good optioned car with a warranty and the right amount of miles to MAYBE not invite the IMS failure.

I am a bit neurotic and check prices weekly nationwide - i have seen a drop in the past two weeks on 2005/2006's maybe to spur pre-spring buys or maybe because the 2012 is around the corner with its debut at geneva. Me personally, i am going to wait for that to hit the market because i think it will push current gen cars down further.

I go back and fourth on the year vs ims thing. The porsche tech (at McB autosport) said the only ims problems they saw were garage queens but others obviously (including on this forum) have had problems. 2005 is the only year you can do the LN engineering upgrade which will net you the least concern IT SEEMS. Also, Truedelta & C. Reports has 2005 as the most reliable.

cheers - let me know what you do - it will help me!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Oneslip
Track Day

I agree, a garage queen can be a good or bad thing, just got rid of a garage queen Benz and it was a great car up until this last year and started having the issues most experienced years earlier. Did make out pretty good on price though since it was extremely prestine but low miles will only command so much of a premium.

I hear ya about being nuerotic about checking the prices, vehicles etc. I have been checking weekly myself since last November when I started looking for a used Boxster, had an 05 locally here triple black like I'm looking for with 14k miles but we could not get together on a price, then I came close to buying an S in KY but another poster beat me to it. The funny thing is the longer I keep looking and not finding what I'm looking for the more I don't even know if I really want one. I owned a Porsche before and they can bring a lot fun into ones life but also can be a real expensive pain to keep.

Thanks for info Damon.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have a Black/Tan 06 Boxster S with 11K miles on it that I might consider selling for for a reasonable offer.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Oneslip
Track Day

Thanks for the offer Larry and sounds tempting the only thing is I am only interested in triple black at this point. I guess I should also say manual as I have seen a lot of Tiptronics, kinda thought the autos would be more rare.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Damon in Pittsburgh
Rennlist Member

larry - what are the options on your car?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM
SeaNile
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to the guy in eastern PA about that car (Gary?) and he said the lowest he could do was 32900.

The one in KY was a steal, flawless car, 70% brakes left, new tires, 20K miles and I got it for 26500. All service records and no issues as of yet....in the 75 miles I put on it so far.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Damon in Pittsburgh
Rennlist Member

Seanile,

Congrats on the purchase! wow - good to know what transaction prices are happening. What options were on your car?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Oneslip
Track Day

Hey SeaNile! Glad to hear how things are going with the car. It's been a mean winter, time to drive!

The market is what someone is willing to pay, you can ask $100K for an 05 S but if no one willing to pay then there is no market. Gary (?) may find someone willing to pay $33K for a 6 yr old car but his odds decrease dramatically, I personally would rather spend $33K on a prestine '07 non-S. I just think Unique Auto's is not realistic with the price at all.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are many Boxster 987 CPOs under $30k. Just search Porsche USA CPO cars on their site.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Oneslip
Track Day

Thanks for the tip James. Did not know about that option.

Quick Reply: 05 S in PA