Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Boxster questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 AM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Boxster questions

I'm new to this site, as I'm about ready to part with my '87 911 Cab. and purchase a new standard Boxster. Many reasons for this, not the least is that I now need more than a weekend car, a car with a real a/c and one that doesn't seem to require constant attention (polite way of saying money). I guess at this point I'd rather pay up front, rather than have my cash trickle out! Anyway, I'm looking for a basic touring type car, no DEs, and none of the many luxo add ons that dealers seem to have on their spec cars. Before I order, I do have a few questions about options:

1. I'm tall and the Boxsters I've sat in all have power seats. I fit ok, and it seems that the power seats have a tilt function that gives some thigh support when tilted back. Does anyone know if the standard manual seats also tilt up in the front? I'll be the only driver, but the lumbar support of the power seat may be enough to sway the decision anyway.

2. Just how loud are the sport exhausts? I like the sport tips over the standard exhaust anyway, but the extra $2200 over that seems a bit much unless the sound is reeealy nice.

3. How about the Chronosport option with the 6 speed and standard suspension? I understands it just remaps the throttle position curve and gives a harder redline. How does the option affect ordinary driving? I still do some spirited driving, but a lot will be just tooling around.

Finally, how about reliability of these late model cars. I understand they received very high JD Power ratings on reliability.

Thanks for any insights here!

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
'06 Audi A4 2.0Q
Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The sports exhaust is really nice and really changes the driving experience. Best part is if you get tired of it or if you feel like listening to music during your commute you can turn it off.

Sport Chrono seems to get mixed reviews. I didn't think it was necessary and didn't order it, you might feel differently. Maybe ask a dealer to test drive a car with the option....
Old 01-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Sport chrono is more important in PDK cars. For 6-speed, I don't think is a great option.

Regular seat are height adjustable via an arm on the side of the seat.

Sport exhaust is awesome.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The sport exhaust is fantastic. Its not rediculously loud and it sounds great. I know a few people that went with less expensive aftermarket exhausts and after the novelety wore off they found them too loud and really annoying if they were in the car for more than an hour and half. Its also nice to be able to "turn down the volume" if you are approaching a police car, or if you are stuck in traffic.

You have to test drive a car with sport chrono to see if you like it. My car is a 6sp manual and it came with it. If I were spec'ing a car I'm not positive where or not I would or wouldn't opt for it. However, I can say you will notice the car's personality change when its on, for the most part in a good way. It does affect how far you want to push in the accelerator when letting out the clutch from a standstill compared to when its off, which can be annoying. Don't think of it purely as to 0-60 times which will matter more on PDK, but rather on twisty roads or on the highway it adds some extra excitement to the drive. Drive a car with it and then decide.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to build up my cash reserve to get back into a Boxster. As this will be my fun car there are some things I want and don't want. I owned a 997S with 6-sp and sport chrono, and sport chrono is a useless add on. It makes the throttle jerky and if you want to play hooligan then switch off PSM. Unless I wanted a car with PDK I would never bother with sport chrono.

I would add (for Mid West all year round driving) heated seats, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel (maybe...), dimming mirrors, bluetooth and iPod connectivity, and that's it. No electric seats, no bigger wheels, no Bose, no leather.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:11 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2006 Boxster S that I custom ordered from Porsche.

1) I am 6'2" and have standard non-powered seats. Seats are great. I did not want to pay over a $1K for the powered seat option.

2) I had the very first PSE added to a Boxster in the USA in the Spring of 2007 through the Tequipment Program. Thanks to the guys in the parts department at Sunset Porsche (Phil Coy is excellent!) and the Tequipment folks at PCNA in Atlanta. I love the PSE!!! It rocks. No drone. No wacky dash lights. Butt dyno says I gained 7 HP!!!

3) Sport Chrono was the single most difficult option I struggled to understand during the buying process. Mainly becuase you can't really drive during a test drive hard enought to see the benefits. I have it, and decided to select it in my build, mainly because it was cheap (by Porsche standards....about $960) and I did not want buyer's remorse. Yes, the SC helps with throttle response, has a harder red line, but the biggest benefit is that it adjust the parameters on the PSM, allowing more aggressive driver inputs.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Here's a video I made with my Spyder just yesterday showing the difference between standard and PSE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0meqN...layer_embedded
Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 169 Posts

Wow! Love it.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcabc
I'm new to this site, as I'm about ready to part with my '87 911 Cab. and purchase a new standard Boxster. Many reasons for this, not the least is that I now need more than a weekend car, a car with a real a/c and one that doesn't seem to require constant attention (polite way of saying money). I guess at this point I'd rather pay up front, rather than have my cash trickle out! Anyway, I'm looking for a basic touring type car, no DEs, and none of the many luxo add ons that dealers seem to have on their spec cars. Before I order, I do have a few questions about options:

1. I'm tall and the Boxsters I've sat in all have power seats. I fit ok, and it seems that the power seats have a tilt function that gives some thigh support when tilted back. Does anyone know if the standard manual seats also tilt up in the front? I'll be the only driver, but the lumbar support of the power seat may be enough to sway the decision anyway.

2. Just how loud are the sport exhausts? I like the sport tips over the standard exhaust anyway, but the extra $2200 over that seems a bit much unless the sound is reeealy nice.

3. How about the Chronosport option with the 6 speed and standard suspension? I understands it just remaps the throttle position curve and gives a harder redline. How does the option affect ordinary driving? I still do some spirited driving, but a lot will be just tooling around.

Finally, how about reliability of these late model cars. I understand they received very high JD Power ratings on reliability.

Thanks for any insights here!

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
'06 Audi A4 2.0Q
1. I had a 2000 Boxster S with power seats and I believe the tilt at the front made the seat more comfortable than my 2006 Carrera's non-power seats. I'm 6'1". Not a huge difference to warrant buying power seats but assuming you bought used I'd say seek them out.

2. By all accounts the sound is great and if you are willing to buy a new car I'd say another $2200 will be money well spent. What's the first mods I did to either of my Porsche's? De-snorkle'd my Boxster and sport cat'ed my Carrera - both for better sound.

3. My Carrera has the SC and I'd save my $1k (put it toward the heated seats, sport exhaust and/or a Sport Design steering wheel). The changes you can configure are a one off, for me anyway, and as a track lap-timer, it's just plain distracting. Yes the throttle re-map is there although the power is the same and your foot would compensate for the lack of a "power" re-map.

PS have to get heated seats.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
batty
Instructor

I was a sport chrono cynic but the showroom Spyder I bought had it. More important to me was the PSE and the stock LSD and the lower suspension and all the things that swayed me from upgrading to an S to making the leap to the Spyder, which, if you really are a no lux option guy, to my mind you owe it to yourself to at least take a Spyder for a spin.

But chrono, yeah, yeah, on paper it adds nothing, and some Rennlister's blood pressure rises just looking at the wart. But the car, to me, feels surprisingly different when its engaged. Tighter, eager, more responsive, more ALIVE. Like how you feel after doing a few reps in the weight room, with blood coursing through your veins. Adding that sensation, of manic juice under throttle, to the PSE's banshee wail, and the hypnotic suspension magic, helps transform my glorified boxster into a spiritual cousin of the GT3. And that I absolutely effing LOVE!

So now in my car, the PSE and Chrono are on full time, all the time. And if I had to order it from the factory, I'd feel silly spending the extra money for chrono, but I'd do it just the same. Just for the feel.

Better heel/toe is just more icing on that cake.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

I have to agree with Batty. As a former 89 930 Cab and then 996 Cab owner, the Spyder is a hoot. I got mine slightly used at $13K off MSRP and there seems to be quite a few used ones around if you can swing the $$. I'm not sure why there are so many used ones, but it is clearly a car that is not for everyone. I have the PSE and Sport Chrono (PDK) options which are terrific. Try a PDK if you haven't gotten to try one.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:20 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

1. Only front and back (no tilt or height) adjustment with the standard seats, but get them. No heating or electric option is possible with these seats. I've driven back and forth from Willow Springs Raceway to San Francisco, with no comfort issues (after a whole day at the track.

2. Sport Chrono. I love the way it looks, and I also time myself everywhere for fun. However, the biggest reasons are (when it's selected) changes in: throttle mapping (it's much more immediate), brake priming (when taking your foot off the accelerator quickly, it pushes the pads against the brakes slightly for quicker braking response), PSM (it allows more wheelspin and lateral slides), ABS (decreases the sensitivity), Redline (I believe it shifts it higher, but by then the power is lower anyway).

3. PSE - This is a must-have. It is worth it, even if there are no HP gains. The car sounds muted without it. Having the PSE button separate to the Sport button is brilliant. The grin factor of the exhaust is amazing. I would have paid double.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all posters for your advice. LeChef reminded me heated seats are a great option for this climate. I can comfortably drive my 911 cabrio, top down, with just a sweatshirt in below 50 degree weather with the heat & seat heaters on and the side windows rolled up.

The dealership did have a car with manual seats and with my frame, they were not satisfactory. Making all the adjustments, my thigh was still clear of the seat at the front. So it looks like my otion list will look something like this:

Standard power seats
Bilevel heat (seat warmers)
Sport exhaust

All things considered, I think I can do without the SC and its stopwatch.

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
'07 Audi A4
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Sounds good Jim.
You have to go with what is right for you. You'll love the Sports Exhaust!
So glad Porsche offers it as a Tequipment accessory... It's nice have that OEM piece of mind.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Good choices Jim. You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy the ordering process and good luck.

Quick Reply: 2011 Boxster questions