Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New order help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts
Default New order help

I am getting ready to place an order for a Spyder that I can use as a Sunday driver and occaisional track car. My plan is to add only performance oriented options: PCCB, PSE, Sports Shifter, and Lithium battery. I have searched on most of these items in the forums and found mostly positive opinions. Is there any last minute advice that I should know before placing this order? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I've heard from many that the Lithium Battery is not very good for colder climates and may not maintain enough amps to start the car on colder days. Other than that you've got a nice list of options.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to get an allocation? Are you located in the US over overseas? Also can you state what colors are currently available?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:12 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice on the lithium battery. Cold weather should not be a problem living here in the SF Bay area. I was surprised but the allocation is at a local dealer. The dealer just found out yesterday so I put a deposit down today. The build is supposed to be in March but said that it could get moved up to February. From what I was told the only color that is no longer available is the Arctic Silver, replaced by the Platinum Silver Metallic. I was going to order the white/black.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Your welcome and thank you for the info on the colors. Were you able to negotiate the price? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

I'm going to contact my local dealer to determine if they can get me an allocation for a custom build. Still hoping that they announce paint to sample but losing hope.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:25 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

I was only able to receive a small courtesy discount. The dealer said they had several other people in line that were ready to pay full sticker. All things considered I felt fortunate to just be able to order one since I didn't find any cars with just the performance options. Seems like everyone was getting them with radios A/C etc. The only visual items I was considering was the wheel center caps with painted crests and then maybe the full leather option, still with the sports bucket seats, so I could get the porsche crests in the top of the seat back. Do you know if the full leather option replaces the alcantara in the seats? I've heard the alcantara wears out pretty quickly...
Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 AM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously money is not a concern if you are going with the PCCB's, but I would go with an after market Lithium battery, Porsche's is ridiculously high. Interstate makes one the same weigh and size at 10th the price. Other than that, nice set up. Also, the salesman's statement sounds like BS, go for a better deal after the car arrives.

PS if you do go for the Lith battery, make sure you get a trickle charger, you will need it. I got the C-TEK 3300 which is the same one that Porsche re-badges for again, a 3rd the price. Make sure to add the cigarette lighter adapter and charge through that, much easier than attaching to the battery

pcw
Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Good advice, thank you. I didn't know that Interstate made one. I also found out that the Porsche battery warranty is voided if the car is not driven 6k miles per year. So probably another good reason to go with the Interstate.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,123 Likes on 1,460 Posts

Alcantara is very durable, it exceeds 125,000 double rubs on the Wyzeenbeek test, which simulates the friction rubs before there is evidence of wear. I have it in my Design Edition 2 Boxster and its fantastic. I'm also in the furniture business and have a lot of experience with leather and fabrics. The problem with leather is it slides, and if you're doing track days you will really appreciate the grip of Alcantara. Racers went to suedes before Alcantara, to get the grip, but suede is made from the lower splits of leather and the cell structure is weaker than Top Grain, so it doesn't hold up well over time.

Alcantara is a chemical material, with no weave to it - its not made from threads in other words. Invented by a Japanese engineer and produced under license with an Italian chemical company, I find no wear issues whatsoever provided its kept clean with an occasional wipe down. It sometimes gets confused with woven Microfibers, which are superfine woven threads of 100% polyester. Its a different product from Microfiber.

PCCB's are a good option if in your budget. The stock brakes are excellent, but they do fade at aggressive track days if you're really getting into the brakes.

If you're going for a Lithium battery, I assume its because of weight? Be sure to skip the Bi-Xenon headlamps - they're heavy - and check on seat weights because they vary among the options. I believe the stock Spyder seats are fairly light - probably not on the level of the GT3 seat, however.

Good luck with the new order

Duane
Old 12-11-2010, 01:05 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
I am getting ready to place an order for a Spyder that I can use as a Sunday driver and occaisional track car. My plan is to add only performance oriented options: PCCB, PSE, Sports Shifter, and Lithium battery. I have searched on most of these items in the forums and found mostly positive opinions. Is there any last minute advice that I should know before placing this order? Thanks in advance.
The Spyder is an amazing car. I know you will enjoy it. I like your options. I probably could live without the battery? If you drive the car at night you might consider the HID lights. My car doesn't have PCCBs but I wish it did.

I've owned many cars in my life. I regret selling two of them; a CGT and Ferrari CS. The Spyder is going to be with me for a very long time. It's a great car and puts a smile on my face just looking at it.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you for getting a performance spec. If I were back in CA I would do stereo and AC delete. Alcantara as other poster noted wears very well and is very grippy.

Be VERY CAREFUL to examine the specifications of the OE LiON battery vs an aftermarket battery. There is a thread on this and there is no free lunch, you will get what you pay for. I have OE LiON in Spyder and RS since April with no problems at all.

As OP noted, if seeking lowest weight, get the carbon buckets and standard headlights.

A great car- you will enjoy the heck out of it. When it comes time to tweak it for less understeer on track, IM me
Old 12-11-2010, 02:16 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 924 Posts

The only visual items I was considering was the wheel center caps with painted crests and then maybe the full leather option, still with the sports bucket seats, so I could get the porsche crests in the top of the seat back. Do you know if the full leather option replaces the alcantara in the seats? I've heard the alcantara wears out pretty quickly...
Full leather does not replace the Alcantara seats. I love mine btw! Best seats ever IMHO. Here is mine with the Full Leather option with sport buckets and A/C & Radio delete:
Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

beautiful spec. op: make sure you get the wheels in silver, not black. looks better.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:29 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

You guys are great, I really appreciate all the great input. Thank you.

aussie jimmy - Yes I agree, the wheels will be silver not black.

Cayman - Love the picture of that interior. Have to ask, did you consider the alcantara options (all 3) when you opted for the full leather? Just curious what persuaded you to take the leather option. I first liked the idea of the all alcantara options and the dealer talked me out of it. I have until mid-January before the spec has to be locked down.

savyboy - As you suggest I will check the non OE LiON specs closely. Many times I will only buy oe. Is there any value in getting the first battery from Porsche, see how it goes and depending upon that then move to non oe? In other words the original sticker will have all the options listed.

I did plan on staying with the carbon buckets and the standard headlights. The times that this car is driven at night will be very limited, so I also didn't get the self dimming mirrors or rain sensor. I will at some point take you up on your understeer tweak offer.

n2cars - I am really looking forward to this car. I recently sold two 79' 308's so my mid-engine driving experience was certainly lower tech given the 32 year difference. My first impressions driving the Cayman S stick and PDK and Boxster PDK were pretty incredible. I got out of the car each time knowing I had to have one. I was also blown away buy the overall handling characteristics of the car.

drcollie - Wow! That is incredible to hear. I take really good care of everything that I own so a little bit of maintenance fits right in for me. It sounds like the alcantara is great and very durable. Now I am inclined to get the other alcantara options. One of them includes a thicker steering wheel. Have you seen these? It justs seems like a natural fit to have a alcantara instead of leather when the car in these specs is so performance oriented.

In regards to the PCCBs, I also heard they don't fade. I also heard that the standard brakes, primarily the fronts, give off a lot of brake dust and when you return from your Sunday drive you will be whiping down (if not washing) the wheels before putting the car cover back on. I am not an expert but as I started to learn about unsprung weight I became even more intrigued with the PCCBs so for me it becomes an easy decision.

Yes, the lithium was a weight reduction choice. With little to no night driving the bi-xenons were a non-starter from the get go. Interesting to hear about the weight, I didn't know that. In that regards, I believe the stock carbon buckets are the lightest and I thought they were an integral part of the Spyder ownership experience.

What a great community. Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:48 PM
batty
Instructor

Congrats on the lightweight spec. Can't wait to hear how it treats you. I did experience some brake fade at the end of day when tracking my spyder. So even if the PCCBs don't shave as much weight as they don the 911s I still think it's a wise move.

Meanwhile, savyboy, what can we less experienced track rats do to bribe you to post a thread about your understeer tweaks?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 924 Posts

Cayman - Love the picture of that interior. Have to ask, did you consider the alcantara options (all 3) when you opted for the full leather? Just curious what persuaded you to take the leather option. I first liked the idea of the all alcantara options and the dealer talked me out of it. I have until mid-January before the spec has to be locked down.
It was either full alcantara or full leather (per my budget). My last Cayman didn't have full leather and all the plastic bugged me. If budget wasn't a limitation I would have ordered both.

I'm seriously considering ordering another Spyder and selling my current:

Option 1=
Carrara w/ Black Full Leather

Option 2=
Platinum w/ Cocoa Full Leather

Option 3=
Paint to Sample (If Porsche ever offers it) w/ Black Full Leather

Full Alcantara
Manual w/ Sport Shifter
Sport Buckets with Embossed Crest
Black Spyder Wheels
Sports Exhaust