Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R -official!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like it. I'll be ordering soon...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rebuttal to this nonsense is Nissan's upcoming 2012 refresh for the GTR -- substantial changes to an already supernaturally competent machine. The Porsche mystique only goes so far. But, if you are so afflicted with concerns for "character" and "feel" (I confess...) why wouldn't you go for a lightly used 997 (or even 996) GT3 at the prices they are asking for this car?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 AM
scargo70
Intermediate

Porsche is raping its customers with cars like the new speedster, GTS and the Cayman R...I can't wait for the Cayman RS version (<----sarcasm)...which will have 10hp more(wow), more options deleted and cost even more....much more..
Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Cliffh93
7th Gear

The tacked on rear wing kills it for me. But the Project Book for the CR must have made interesting reading....Create a genuinely uncomfortable car that nonetheless does not infringe on the 911's performance numbers (other than handling).

I think the aftermarket can build the real Cayman R.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it but wouldn't buy it new. I will definitely consider one in 3-4 years as a part-time track toy.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM
91Eunos
2nd Gear

Hey everyone... First post for me.

I'll be buying one...but somewhat begrudgingly. I believe most buyers will be folks like me who are in the market for a new CS anyway and just want something a little more track focused. Factory warranty is a nice bonus.

I almost bought a Boxster Spyder but held off, waiting for the ClubSport...now the "R" model. I have to admit, when I heard the name was going to be the Cayman R, I let my imagination run wild with thoughts of Porsche Motorsport development and support... Oh well.

I will say that I plan to buy a black script letter "S" from the dealer to add to the model designation on the back of mine because that's what the car is really...

A Cayman RS.

Just like the 964 RS and RS America it has a bit more power (well, at least for the 964 RS), a better suspension and a little less weight. It'd be nice to have a Clubsport package option w/the 1/2 roll cage, fire extinguisher, less sound proofing, etc. as well but I'm not holding my breath.

The biggest disappointment for me is the huge failure on the styling... I was hoping for the Spyder's intakes and rear diffuser as well as a nice duck tail like the one on the 911 Sport Classic. This parts bin raid to get rid of all the old aero package spoilers is a joke... The front splitters aren't too bad and teh overall package still looks OK but how hard would it have been to add a duck tail to the bottom of the Cayman's hatch to create a truly unique look?

Despite the fact that I'm buying one, someone in the marketing department and whoever in the management chain at Porsche approved calling this an "R" model needs to be shot at dawn.

--break, break--

Enough griping... I'm very happy to get a great Cayman at a good price (by Porsche's standards) with a lot of the options I would have ordered anyway. The better non-PASM suspension and lightweight doors plus a bit more power from the factory make it even better for me.

-Rob

2011 Cayman RS
Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlr
...why wouldn't you go for a lightly used 997 (or even 996) GT3 at the prices they are asking for this car?
Not everybody is "all about 911s".

The mid-engine platform is still "better" than the rear engine platform.

Some people prefer new cars to used cars. If I'm buying something special (i.e. not a daily driver, etc) I might prefer to have a "virgin" automobile than one that's possibly been abused. (even for the incredibly reliable GT3 line-up)

Those would be my reasons anyway...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Code:
Not everybody is "all about 911s".

The mid-engine platform is still "better" than the rear engine platform.

Some people prefer new cars to used cars. If I'm buying something special (i.e. not a daily driver, etc) I might prefer to have a "virgin" automobile than one that's possibly been abused. (even for the incredibly reliable GT3 line-up)

Those would be my reasons anyway...
Well, that's probably the sort of logic they are relying on, rather than offering a car that is truly interesting and compelling.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

I was interested in one till I started finding out the details, IMO it's a nice but small step in the right direction

if you want sport chrono plus you have to install the radio and electronics package w/it. sort of defeats the l/w sport concept

I also don't see a better brake package than that used on an S, nor do I see any attention to the other issues that all the folks tracking these cars seem to need to address. this seems to be a reprise of the 964RSA, also a nice but small step in the right direction.

Anyone have the gear ratios for the manual and PDK? I think I may have found the ratios for pd but am not sure of them, toot counts would be nice
Old 11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91Eunos
Hey everyone... First post for me.

I'll be buying one...but somewhat begrudgingly. I believe most buyers will be folks like me who are in the market for a new CS anyway and just want something a little more track focused. Factory warranty is a nice bonus.

I almost bought a Boxster Spyder but held off, waiting for the ClubSport...now the "R" model. I have to admit, when I heard the name was going to be the Cayman R, I let my imagination run wild with thoughts of Porsche Motorsport development and support... Oh well.

I will say that I plan to buy a black script letter "S" from the dealer to add to the model designation on the back of mine because that's what the car is really...

A Cayman RS.

Just like the 964 RS and RS America it has a bit more power (well, at least for the 964 RS), a better suspension and a little less weight. It'd be nice to have a Clubsport package option w/the 1/2 roll cage, fire extinguisher, less sound proofing, etc. as well but I'm not holding my breath.

The biggest disappointment for me is the huge failure on the styling... I was hoping for the Spyder's intakes and rear diffuser as well as a nice duck tail like the one on the 911 Sport Classic. This parts bin raid to get rid of all the old aero package spoilers is a joke... The front splitters aren't too bad and teh overall package still looks OK but how hard would it have been to add a duck tail to the bottom of the Cayman's hatch to create a truly unique look?

Despite the fact that I'm buying one, someone in the marketing department and whoever in the management chain at Porsche approved calling this an "R" model needs to be shot at dawn.

--break, break--

Enough griping... I'm very happy to get a great Cayman at a good price (by Porsche's standards) with a lot of the options I would have ordered anyway. The better non-PASM suspension and lightweight doors plus a bit more power from the factory make it even better for me.

-Rob

2011 Cayman RS
+1
Depending on what the final price is, this will likely be replacing my 01 Boxster S daily driver for all the reasons you stated.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Did anyone who was there happen to notice what tires were on the car? R-compound?
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Did anyone who was there happen to notice what tires were on the car? R-compound?
Thanks!
NO 'R' compound, just stock tires like everything else!

A litlt teaser video from The Show
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MJones
NO 'R' compound, just stock tires like everything else!

A litlt teaser video from The Show
Thanks.
I was hoping for MPSCs like the GT3s.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91Eunos
I'm very happy to get a great Cayman at a good price (by Porsche's standards) with a lot of the options I would have ordered anyway. The better non-PASM suspension and lightweight doors plus a bit more power from the factory make it even better for me.
Precisely why. Who cares what it's called... I'm ordering a very special PTS, deviated stitching, factory-delivered car. Come see me in 20 years about how "lame" it is.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know if this has the same or LESS headroom than the standard Cayman? That could be a problem for those of us who are tall and have trouble with headroom when wearing the helmet.

I know for certain that the lighter weight sports bucket seats actually take away headroom, or at least they did in the GT3 I sat in this weekend compared to the GT3 next to it with the regular seats.

Quick Reply: Cayman R -official!