Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Boxster S, thoughts and misc ramblings...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Considering a Boxster S, thoughts and misc ramblings...

Howdy!

I've lurked on these forums for ~5 years or so - I believe I first signed up when I was considering a 996/TT to replace my Z06. I've owned four Vettes and I've generally enjoyed the experience, the price-to-performance ratio is pretty outstanding, and they have an interesting history as road and race cars. I've also had a number of other interesting rides, from a highly modified Supra, Lexus and [in the family, though the Wifey's©] a Z3 and 328Ci. We always have a family car as well that's usually an SUV since it does multi-duty as a tow vehicle (boat and occasionally car to an event) and offroad at the beach.

To date though, no Porsche

We wanted to get back into a convertible, the weather is pretty fantastic all year (hurricanes not withstanding ), and it's a weekend only car. We were convertible-less for a couple of years we really missed it, even with the fun I had with my Z06 ( I didn't even have a targa!).

So to fill the gap I wanted to pick up something fairly inexpensive, that would give me a taste of a small roadster, so I scored a nice mint '07 S2000 (~14K miles right now), but I'm serisouly considering moving on in the very near furure - this November would make ~2 years of ownership. Don't get me wrong I really like the car. It's my first Honda so it's been a new interesting community and aftermarket, the "go-kart" kind of driving experience, the fact that it's not a common site on the road, great looks, etc.

My original plan was to go possibly for with some kind of FI, but I think I've gotten a little too old for the "extreme" aftermarket (it currently just has nicer wheels a few other minor cosmetic tweaks) and in the last several months I've become 99% confident dropping another $7-8K on the Honda is not a good choice and that faster isn't really what I'm after.

I think now that I've had a good taste of the smaller, more engaging driving exerience with the S2K (vs. the Vettes), and how much we enjoying having a nice weekend roadster again, I'm pretty convinced I want my next ride to be a Porsche. The brand also satisfies my need for some extra subjective value and I _feel_ at least that the total ownership experience will be pretty stellar.

Initially as I started to think about moving on to a P-car, I was set on not owning a Boxster. Why? I don't know. I've had this idea that a Porsche has the engine in the rear and the 9-1-1 designation. I realize it's the "superior" MR platform, [just about] as "fast" as a NA 911 Roadster, and certaily most folks here are pretty clear that the Boxster is the roadster to own.

I have driven a couple, one 986 and one 987, but I'm 100% sure the 987 wasn't an S (the 986 _might_ have been). The 986 I drove for a couple of laps at Roebling, the 987 just futzed around town for < 5 minutes. Not sure about any of the other equipment/packages, other than both were manuals. I haven't even sat in a 987.1 or 987.2

I'm thinking a late model 987, probably a CPO car to quell any worries about major maintenance costs. I see a local car on Ebay, CPO, '07, 24K miles, manual, S model, jazzy terracotta interior, nav/premium audio for like $44K, and I'm figuring that's probably the price area for that kind of setup.

The 2007 - 2008 seems to be a great balance of upgrade to cost with the larger 3.4L (I'm only considering S variants), improved gearing and nice appearance updates. I do really like the 987.2 (i.e., 09+) update as well (beyond just the power increase), but I'm not sure if there's any other compelling updates to consider it for the price difference[?]

I'm also just starting to research the various options as well, and believe I would like Sport Chrono and PASM, though being a novice to Porsche, I'm open to any kind of advice.

We live in Vilano Beach, FL, roughly 30 miles south of Jacksonville, so I have Brumos as a semi-local dealer/service option as well.

Anyway, thanks for the space for the long and winding post, I'll update this as things move forward.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:37 PM
pgapromex
Advanced

I'm looking at Boxster S as well and have been doing a lot of research. The 07 you are looking at seems overpriced. You might want to read up on the IMS issue in this and other forums as all Boxsters up to MY 08 can suffer this engine ending failure. In 06 Porsche up graded the IMS but there are still failures.

In 09 they got rid of the IMS completely, if you are willing to spend mid $40k you could easily get a base 09 and probably an S version. Here are 09 for sale on cars.com, in this market you should be able to get 10-15% off these prices as most are dealer cars. Good Luck!

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...MENT&pgId=2102
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

DT- at first I wasn't sure a Corvette guy would like a Porsche (not a lot of low end torque) but coming from an s2000, the Boxster is a great choice. Very well balanced, great handling, super fun to drive, etc. Take your time and find the right one. I have no idea on pricing since I'm the sucker that only buys brand new. Btw, I went from a 997 turbo to the Boxster (Spyder) and it's very different, more fun to drive and absolutely no regrets. Enjoy-
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM
DT04R
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pgapromex
I'm looking at Boxster S as well and have been doing a lot of research. The 07 you are looking at seems overpriced.
Terrific, I look forward to hearing about your progress! BTW, I figured for a low mileage, highly optioned (SC, etc.), CPO'ed car, mid-to-low 40's was right on point[?]

Originally Posted by pgapromex
You might want to read up on the IMS issue in this and other forums as all Boxsters up to MY 08 can suffer this engine ending failure. In 06 Porsche up graded the IMS but there are still failures.
I thought the instances of the IMS issue on 06+ was almost non-existent. I guess the potential to fail is still a consideration, though it's a warranty matter (I understand even if the repair is cost free it's still time and inconvenience).

Originally Posted by Carcam
DT- at first I wasn't sure a Corvette guy would like a Porsche (not a lot of low end torque) but coming from an s2000, the Boxster is a great choice. Very well balanced, great handling, super fun to drive, etc. Take your time and find the right one. I have no idea on pricing since I'm the sucker that only buys brand new. Btw, I went from a 997 turbo to the Boxster (Spyder) and it's very different, more fun to drive and absolutely no regrets. Enjoy-
I guess when it comes down to it, I'm more of a "car guy" vs. a <insert make/model> guy There are people who are just rigid and inflexible and I think they miss out on some really interesting owning/driving experiences!

Fortunately since this is my car which is basically a non-DD/weekend/fun car, I can really take my time, there's zero rush, so I can wait for the perfect deal to come along. I'm really intrigued by a white (possibly black) with a full red interior, so that combined with my other particulars, I know it's going to be a bit of a wait.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:36 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Interesting development.

The Wifey© said she'd love to drive it too, and while I've tried to teach her operation of a manual, she just feels "uncomfortable" with it. I on the otherhand can't have a slushbox in my weekend/track/fun car.

The solution? Maybe PDK! I haven't driven one, but I've operated a few other 'clutchless' setups (like SMG from BMW) and it's pretty slick. I understand the PDK is much better with the dual clutch setup and that in full auto (i.e., "wife mode" ) it's pretty nice.

Of course that means a year or two newer vs. the 07/08s I was considering - and roughly $10K-15K more - but with the PDK option also comes a facelift, boost in performance, better MPG and some other option improvements (like the PCM update, etc).
Old 08-15-2010, 12:24 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard from other PDK owners that once the paddle shift "novelty" wears off, most just leave the car in drive mode and lets the car do its thing. My fiancee has the A3 with the DCT & paddle shift (same concept as PDK) and I use it whenever I drive her car. Then again, I drive her car once every couple months.
I would consider a PDK for my next car... it offers both convenience and performance. Is it worth the 15k premium,... you could wait couple more years, or get something now and trade up to a PDK in couple years. G'luck.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

We're going to go drive one next weekend and see how we both like it (though I think it's more a consideration of me liking PDK vs. a conventional manual).

Good input, thanks!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost 2 years ago I picked up a CPO 05 Boxster S to compliment my "modified" 09 C2S and have been loving the Boxster. A few thoughts to share...

PASM - I'd never get it if it adds even $1 to the price of the car (ie: Same exact car without is less). All it does is make the ride harsher on "Sport" and the way you plan to use the car I can't see how you'd ever use it. The only time I use it on the C2S is when I'm on the track and it's a perfectly smooth one at that. Any bumps and the ride is too harsh. The Boxster S suspension really is nice and there's a way to slightly lower the car without buying new springs. There are small rubber disks called "Compensators" that are between the springs and the perches that were added to "raise" our ride heights here in the US. I think my car had 6.5mm compensators, which my dealer snipped out when the car was on the lift, thus lower the car 6.5mm. Re-aligned and we got a much nicer front camber for crisper steering and less understeer.

The 07 is nicer than the 05-06 due to the upgraded engine and the 09 is even nicer yet with the DFI engine. There are some things I don't like that they changed in 09, like the terrible new window buttons and operation (on passenger side you have to hold the button until it's past 1/2 way for the auto-up to engage). So I guess what I'm saying is an 07 Boxster S without PASM would be my "perfect" CPO car. Plenty of warranty left, nicely balanced suspension, plenty of power.

Not a big fan of PDK - I so enjoy shifting for myself, track or street. If a weekend car only, then you shouldn't have issues with stop & go traffic / commuting. There's something really enjoyable about taking the Boxster S out on a Saturday in early fall with the top down cruising the Litchfield Hills...
Old 08-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you replacing the S2000 with the Boxster or adding to the stable?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:54 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RonCT
Almost 2 years ago I picked up a CPO 05 Boxster S to compliment my "modified" 09 C2S and have been loving the Boxster. A few thoughts to share...
Thank you!

PASM - I'd never get it if it adds even $1 to the price of the car
Excellent, I had wondered about that option, and noted it wasn't on a few of the cars I was shopping, so I wasn't sure whether it was a deal breaker or not.

I think my car had 6.5mm compensators, which my dealer snipped out when the car was on the lift, thus lower the car 6.5mm. Re-aligned and we got a much nicer front camber for crisper steering and less understeer.
That's good information, I was wondering about lowering the car. Not overly done that compromises the handling and/or usability, but just a little less gap in the fenders. At my age I'm not into a "slammed" car

So I guess what I'm saying is an 07 Boxster S without PASM would be my "perfect" CPO car. Plenty of warranty left, nicely balanced suspension, plenty of power.

Not a big fan of PDK - I so enjoy shifting for myself, track or street. If a weekend car only, then you shouldn't have issues with stop & go traffic / commuting. There's something really enjoyable about taking the Boxster S out on a Saturday in early fall with the top down cruising the Litchfield Hills...
I found an '07 that is exactly the car you described. It seems like a great buy (it's dropped ~$4K in the last month or so). However, I'd love for the wife to get some use out of the car, and that combined with the few extra tweaks on the 09+ cars, still have me thinking PDK might be the way to go.

I appreciate the terrific input.

Originally Posted by Ajjra
Are you replacing the S2000 with the Boxster or adding to the stable?
It would be replacing the S2K (since it would be effectively the same sort of car: small[re], two seater, roadster).

Quick Reply: Considering a Boxster S, thoughts and misc ramblings...