Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solutions for IMS Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Solutions for IMS Failure?

I'm considering adding a Boxster to the stable within the next year or two and I'm working on establishing the right budget for the purchase.

One issue I continue to read about is the IMS failures on the newer engines which appears to be due to the car sitting for extended periods. Since I won't be using it for a DD I'm thinking that IMS failure could be a potential problem for long term ownership.

Are there any proven aftermarket or factory options available that solve this problem?

Would an Accusump be the solution or something else?

Last edited by Marine Blue; 06-21-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Changed RMS to IMS
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Any car that sits for long periods of time without being driven will deteriorate. Seals and gaskets dry out, moisture accumulates in fluids, batteries run down, etc. How infrequently are you planning to drive the car? If it's just a weekend car, you probably won't have any issues just make sure you bring the entire car up to full operating temp (i.e. avoid short trips).

Second, I don't think the Accusump product would affect whether you experience an RMS failure. That sump is design to provide adequate lubrication under hard cornering and at cold engine startup. RMS failures (the gasket between engine and transmission seeps) wouldn't be affected by this. This type of problem seems to be far less prevalent with the latest seal design even then tends to be more of a nuisance that leaks a few drops of oil rather than a catastrophic event.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris thank you for the reply.

I may be confusing something. Aren't there known issues with bearings and other metal to metal contact surfaces which can lead to engine failure?

I guess my biggest concern is that many of the major issues with the earlier engines required a complete engine swap rather than repair. Is this still the case or has Porsche worked through many of the issues?

As far as sitting, it may get driven a few times a week but may also sit for weeks on end depending on work schedule. It will also sit all winter (4.5 months).
Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I may be confusing something. Aren't there known issues with bearings and other metal to metal contact surfaces which can lead to engine failure?
Yes, you're confusing RMS (rear main seal) leaking with IMS (itermediate shaft) failure. The bearings fail on the IMS shaft. This then causes pistons to hit vavles, destroying the motor. Letting the car sit can cause RMS to leak. Letting it sit does not deteriorate IMS.

Phil
Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Chris thank you for the reply.

I guess my biggest concern is that many of the major issues with the earlier engines required a complete engine swap rather than repair. Is this still the case or has Porsche worked through many of the issues?

As far as sitting, it may get driven a few times a week but may also sit for weeks on end depending on work schedule. It will also sit all winter (4.5 months).
Yes, you confused RMS (rear main seal) failure with IMS (intermediate shaft) [bearing] failure.

The former is a leak. As Chris correctly pointed out it is a minor leak and many live with it until in the case of a manual transmission equipped car the clutch needs doing at which time taking care of the RMS is a small additional bit of work.

The IMS and its bearing is another thing.

Many owners continue to drive these cars with no issues.

There is at least one aftermarket company offering an enhancement that addresses the IMS bearing weakness. I do not have any experience with this enhancement and can not provide you with any assessment of the risks. Some owners have had this done, or done it themselves and so far there have been no problems reported. But the number of cars with this enhancement applied is small.

To have this enhancement installed is not cheap. The car's transmissioni must come out. Some engine disassembly required. No case splitting but the job does require gaining access to the end of the IMS where the problematci bearing resides.

Before you proceed much further perhaps you should search out info about this enhancement and read up on it. www.flat6innovations.com IIRC is the web site where you'll all you want to know or links to where you'll find all you want to know. (Also, search for Mike Focke's web pages containing much good info on Boxsters.)

If this enhancement sounds like something you are interested in, what you can do is if you believe a used Boxster requires this enhancement to provide you with the peace of mind you require is to get a good estimate of what this would cost to have done, then attempt to factor this cost into the value of a good used car you find and see if you can reach an agreement with the seller of the candidate car. Then if you are successful have the enhancement done.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you gentleman, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I'll read up on the IMS enhancement and determine the best approach from there.

I have also been searching for a more active Boxster Forum for US owners, any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Afshin,

Supposedly there were some improvements in the bearings with 987 Boxsters from mid 2006 on. Whether that has eliminated the problem, its probably too early to tell, as many of these cars don't have a lot of mileage. You could also eliminate the whole IMS issue if you look for a used car with DFI motor ('09s on). Although, possibly the DFI motors are too new to know if they have any issues of their own to consider.

While there have been IMS issues with everything from 986 Boxsters, 987 Boxsters, 996s and first generation 997s, I still see a lot of 986s and 996s on the road so hopefully that is a good sign that these cars are pretty hearty and the IMS problem is not that common.

Not sure if you've driven a Boxster, but they are really a blast especially with the top down and a beautiful day.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dino.

I haven't driven one yet but based upon everything I've read I am certain I will really like it. I've always been attracted to well balanced cars that become an extension of the driver although I readily admit that the cars I have owned really don't fall into the category. I won't drive a Boxster until I'm ready to buy one, the last thing I want to do is make an irrational decision & sell my 928.

My goal is to pick up a new or used Spyder.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Dino.

I haven't driven one yet but based upon everything I've read I am certain I will really like it. I've always been attracted to well balanced cars that become an extension of the driver although I readily admit that the cars I have owned really don't fall into the category. I won't drive a Boxster until I'm ready to buy one, the last thing I want to do is make an irrational decision & sell my 928.

My goal is to pick up a new or used Spyder.
Hey Afshin,

If you are interested in the recently released Spyder which has the DFI motor, IMS is not an issue at all. Its a completely different engine design.

I think you can enjoy a 928 and a Boxster. They are drastically different in feel and purpose. Its been years since I've driven a 928, my Dad had an 86.5 when they were new and it was a great long distance cruiser. The Boxsters are a completely different animal, but you will see that for yourself once you get behind the wheel.

Best regards and good luck on your Boxster search,
Dino
Old 06-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Thank you gentleman, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I'll read up on the IMS enhancement and determine the best approach from there.

I have also been searching for a more active Boxster Forum for US owners, any suggestions?
For dedicated Boxster (and Cayman) forums,

http://www.ppbb.com

is pretty active.

Another is:

http://www.babblers.org/

And yet another is:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/index.php

One more:

http://986forum.com/

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
arcbmwz3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Related to this

Related to the IMS issue. There is a very informative 2 part article relating to the IMS issue in Excellence magazine. I'm trying to remember the months, but I think it is the June/July issues or maybe the July/August issues. Anyway, some great info there.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Search the 996 forum for IMS retrofit and Google/Youtube Jake Raby and LN engineering. Plenty of info available.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you everyone, I've already started reading about this last night. Seems that solutions are available for a reasonable price (~$1,500). I just need to research how many have had the solutions installed for an extended period and if they've checked for any issues after installation.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The number of bearings installed is north of 500. The procedures to support the IMS retrofit into an assembled engine were developed in early 2009.

The actual bearing has been in use in engines that were disassembled and updated since 2007. The technology is well proven, several engines have been disassembled after installation for evaliuation purposes, including the engine that had the very first bearing ever applied.

Results have been positive, else I'd not be utilizing the technology in EVERY engine that we assemble/ update.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the feedback Jake, this is always reassuring.

I'm going to continue reading about the issue so I can fully understand why it happens.

Quick Reply: Solutions for IMS Failure?