Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Persistant squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Bartmack
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Persistant squeak

Hello all... I have a question for you:
(Re: 2008 Boxster S RS60 Spyder)

I've been experiencing a persistant/loud squeak coming from the vicinity of the driver's door latch, or the top mechanism area to the left and just behind the driver's seat area...

It is now very noticable/loud with the top down, somewhat noticable with the top up but drivers window down, and not noticible with the top and window up. Anyone else experience a similar occurance? It helps to know

This is the very first warranty issue I have had in 16 months and 17k miles...

(BTW, I do have a dealer appt next week, and yes I tried searching the 987 forum for 'squeak' to no avail)
Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Bartmack
Advanced

Wow, that was an interesting experience...

Just got back from my Porsche dealer and did NOT leave the car with them.
According to them, a "squeaky" top requires an "adjustment", and "adjustments" are not covered under warranty....

A brand new 16 month old $70k car bought from that very dealership and a squeak in the convertible top is not covered under warranty?

Guess what that did to any sense of brand loyalty I might have had... !

I see a BMW in my future.
Regardless of the perception of BMW drivers, at least BMW takes excellent care of their customers!!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It may not simply be just a matter of the brand not standing behind its product, as much as the dealer not standing up for you. With one of our daily drivers, a Subaru Legacy, the head gasket blew at 8,000 miles beyond the 100,000 mile extended Subaru warranty we had purchased. The manager of the service department said, let me talk to Subaru and see if we can get them to cover this. He got back to me within 48 hours and told me, that if I pay a $100 deductible they will honor it through the Subaru extended warranty. I should mention, we did not even buy the car from them. I was quite impressed, and needless to say we get our Subaru serviced there regularly and will probably buy our next daily driver from them!

My family has had BMWs, MBs, etc., and overall the dealers are good, but I don't think they would have helped us get something covered on a car with 108,000 miles on it!

Don't let this issue sour you on the Porsche experience. Maybe you just need to find another dealer for service.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if this post will help you.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-problem.html
Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Bartmack
Advanced

Thanks! =) I appreciate the help. I'll look and see if the Boxster top mechanism is similar.

You know...I *love* this car... and apart from the squeak (which has stopped now that the weather is cooler BTW, so I can't even press the issue if I can't show them a squeak ) there have been zero issues in the year and a half since I took delivery. The car is fantastic. Really fantastic.

But wow I just despise the service department at that dealer!

I dread having to take the car in for anything... scheduled service included. Unfortunately they have the market cornered for Porcshe, Audi and Jag. Everytime I deal with them I get different answers from any person I talk to, they always try to find a way to charge me a fortune, they practically raped me to install an aux port for the stereo last year ($950 for a friggin mini plug aux port!!) and the service manager apparently has nothing better to do than talk my ear off about how computers were in 1972.

I can't stand that place. It's bad enough to make me reconsider buying another Porsche or Audi just so I don't have to deal with them.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Bartmack
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dino944
It may not simply be just a matter of the brand not standing behind its product, as much as the dealer not standing up for you. With one of our daily drivers, a Subaru Legacy, the head gasket blew at 8,000 miles beyond the 100,000 mile extended Subaru warranty we had purchased. The manager of the service department said, let me talk to Subaru and see if we can get them to cover this. He got back to me within 48 hours and told me, that if I pay a $100 deductible they will honor it through the Subaru extended warranty. I should mention, we did not even buy the car from them. I was quite impressed, and needless to say we get our Subaru serviced there regularly and will probably buy our next daily driver from them!

My family has had BMWs, MBs, etc., and overall the dealers are good, but I don't think they would have helped us get something covered on a car with 108,000 miles on it!

Don't let this issue sour you on the Porsche experience. Maybe you just need to find another dealer for service.

Best regards,
Dino
I wish I could... the next Porsche dealer is 150 or so miles away in traffic, so that's not an option for me. The strange thing is, it is a local "chain" that has separate BMW, MINI and Toyota dealerships, and the BMW/MINI service department is spectacular! I enjoyed going there, and they always took care of me. (So I've purchased 5 cars from them in the last 6-7 years)

This experience has made me miss them -!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Try lubing the joints with "DuPont Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant". You can buy this at Lowe's.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

Use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the rubber parts. The 303 is a great product. I use it on all vinyl, rubber & leather. The 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is good for your top. Both protect from UV rays.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...fm?category=58
Old 12-05-2009, 08:01 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, the dealer should fix this for you. A quick call to Porsche may be all you need to sort this out.

That being said, a lot of times a squeek in that area is due to the adjustment of the door striker. The position the striker sits in the door latch can change ever so slightly due to the top being open and closed, which is why the noise will change on you. Sometimes you can fix the noise with some lubricant in the latch but if not you'll likely need to make an adjustment.

You'll need an 8mm triple square socket to adjust the striker. You may want to mark the intial position of the striker in case you can't find a better position for it. This squeek can be tricky to fix but with a couple of tries I think you should find the cure.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Bartmack
Advanced

Thanks... I'll try these suggestions at the next opportunity. Actually the door striker suggestion sounds like it could be the culprit as the door is more likely to move some over rough pavement than the retracted top is.

Quick Reply: Persistant squeak