Sponsored by:

cabriolet headliner problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cabriolet headliner problem

I have an '02 cab with two minor headliner issues. I have searched the forums.

The first is the headliner is detached from the frame in both rear corners. There is velcro holding a seam between two pieces that seem to close like a flap. Would somone provide a photo of how the rear corners should look. Do the velcro strips get glues to the frame?

The other issue is the gap between the headliner and the window/door. It is very large . I have to think that the headliner needs to be fastened to the side frame somehow, or at least get fitted over something. There are also some plastic tabs near the rear that are just hanging above the headliner. Where do they go. I believe this may have come loose when the rear corners failed. Any photos or directions would be appreciated. I don't want to chance one of the loose pieces from binding the frame mechanism or causing the canvas to tear.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An '02 cab? I think you posted in the wrong forum as that's a 996. Don't know how similar the cab top is for a 997, but you'll probably have better luck in the 996 forum.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Suggest that you go to a dealership and take a look at a cabriolet of today with the top UP. You may find that the gap that you are concerned about is quite normal. There is a known problem with the ribs inside the headliner that will fail and gets replaced under warranty. It jiggles a lot on rough roads and sounds like something is loose inside.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

top mechanism is identical in 2002+ 996 and 997
Old 10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
kasendorf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My headliner on my '05 997 Cab detached from the frame in one of the rear corners. The velcro holding the seam is glued to the rear frame. I fixed it by putting the top half way down to releive the tension and reattached and rewrapped it. Sorry, don't have a picture. Is this something that others have experienced?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kasendorf
My headliner on my '05 997 Cab detached from the frame in one of the rear corners. The velcro holding the seam is glued to the rear frame. I fixed it by putting the top half way down to releive the tension and reattached and rewrapped it. Sorry, don't have a picture. Is this something that others have experienced?
did the same on 05... the pass side did it again, i unhooked the cables holding the back down.. got in there and put new velcro strip on the metal part cause it had slid down.. then was fine.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Another tip for cabrio owners. There are two torx screws on either side of the top, you can feel the left one when in the driver's seat. It will be a 9 o'clock, up high. There is a matching one on the right side. These should be TIGHT. I found mine loose over time. I blue loctited them once before and they didn't keep. So, I asked my service guy to do it. He might have used the next step up (purple) instead of jumping to the red loctite. But they seem to be holding. If they are loose, they will start to emit some creaking noises.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:20 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Edgy,
Is this the location of the torx screw that you are talking about?
Both of mine were loose & it took a T-30 bit. The torx screw is located inside of the plastic break as shown in the first photo. Second photo is a shot from the inside.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You found them. That's the place. I went to a cabriolet on the showroom floor to confirm that they are supposed to be tight (as delivered). They loosen up with use, but have no mechanical locking arrangement on them. In the ME world, you generally use one of two methods to keep fasteners from backing out. A lock washer of some sort, or Loc-tite. I would like to see the factory assembly guidance for these, because things aren't working.

Quick Reply: cabriolet headliner problem