Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF maintenance

Is regular or preventative MAF maintenance recommended ??

Jack
Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Is regular or preventative MAF maintenance recommended ??

Jack
No. If you're running stock air filter just be sure to change air filter regularly -- at least at the intervals recommended in the owners manual and if you live/drive in areas with high levels of particulate matter in the air or lots of plant trash on the roads change it more often.

My 02 Boxster's original MAF replaced at approx. 150K miles when I suspected it of being bad. Then I found out after replacing MAF problem not MAF but leaking oil filler tube cap.

Left new MAF installed, kept old MAF in box.

Then maybe 50K miles later 2nd MAF suspect and I replaced it with original MAF. Original MAF worked just fine and still is working just fine and has in total about 175K miles on it. (Car has now accumulated over 222K miles.)

What preventative maintenance have I done that might have contributed to the MAF's longevity? Just regular engine air filter changes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:11 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mac
Care to share any additional maintenance tips ??

Jack
Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Well, I'm a big believer in frequent -- more frequent than the owners manual calls for -- oil/filter services. I hit upon 5000 miles between changes. I use Mobil 1 0w-40 or more recently have switched to using Mobil 1 10w-40.

Engine air and cabin filters get changed more often too. Engine air filter extremely important to engine's longevity.

Coolant change every 2 to 4 years. "Scheduled" the 1st one by hitting road debris and busting radiator. Second one occurred when water pump needed replacing around the 200K mile mark.

Brake fluid flush/bleed every couple of years. Tranny/diff (manual tranny) fluid change every 90K miles.

Keep car clean, bird mess off of top and painted surfaces. Don't park under trees. Keep tires properly inflated. Wipe down inside surfaces with damp cloth once in a while. Vacuum cabin, carpets, seats out. I use a brush attachment to vacuum dash, radio/climate controls.

Give engine a moment or two (or a bit longer if real cold) to pick up some heat before driving off. Keep RPMS down below 4000 and I try to stay below 3500 until engine fully up to operating temperature. On real cold days this can take 15 or more minutes of driving at moderate speeds on city streets. These engines carry a lot of coolant and oil for their size and this takes time to get up to operating temperature.

Let engine idle a bit especially if coming off freeway after running at high speed before shutting engine off.

Then just drive car.

As often as possible.

Every day.

In all kinds of weather.

These are tough cars.

Taken care of they'll run a long long time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:45 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Thanks MQ
I'm a fan of the 5K oil changes myself
How often are you changing the air filter ??
Is that an easy DIY ??
Re the tranny fluid, I changed mine at 25 K and was surprised how dark the fluid was.

JAck
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can try this CRC cleaner. Periodic cleaning will help until the MAF just wears out.
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Tach; could you elaborate ??

Jack
Old 09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check with a dealer before you clean it......some senors are not to be cleaned. the risk is that cleaner can ruin the TPS
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have cleaned mine with no problems. Do a search on Google with crc maf cleaner for some positive results.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Thanks MQ
I'm a fan of the 5K oil changes myself
How often are you changing the air filter ??
Is that an easy DIY ??
Re the tranny fluid, I changed mine at 25 K and was surprised how dark the fluid was.

JAck
Have no real air filter change interval. It is whenever... I know I know. Sounds bad or contradictory given I'm so regular with the oil/filter changes, but maybe once a year (around 30K miles) or a bit more often. I'm always amazed at how dirty the Boxster's air filter is. The engine's air intake located at a particularly dirty location. That's why the Boxster air filter has a foam covering.

For the Boxster engine air filter change is a DIY and not too much trouble. Have to put top in service engine position then of course remove engine cover carpet and engine cover. Air filter latches get depressed and the filter and the tray it resides in slide out until far enough one can lift the filter out.

Vacuum the air box out to make sure no pieces of trash -- I've found cigarette butts on top of filter (no I don't smoke) and leaves, dead insects, etc. You don't want anything falling off of top of filter into air box where it will be engested by engine when you start it up next time.

To help air filter "seal" and "seat" I smear a bit of Gummi-Pflege on the air filter gasket/seal then drop filter in tray and gently to make sure seal doesn't catch slide tray back into housing until latches snap closed.

I've not changed the air filter on my Turbo but it looks to be I dare say even les work than the Boxster. I note the filter is huge -- do not know what a NA 911 water cooled engine's air filter looks like -- and does not seem to gather as much trash, though I peeked way back in the housing and spotted some small leaves back in there.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the CRC MAF Cleaner

I clean the MAF's on all my vehicles at 50K intervals. Even with good air filters there is some particulate matter that will get through. Cleaning the MAF's with a couple of quick sprays will improve their readings and will smooth out the idle and throttle responses.

Quick Reply: MAF maintenance