Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st year service @ 1 yr./12k - Boxster $

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM
randyb_boxster
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st year service @ 1 yr./12k - Boxster $

What kind of prices are folks paying for their first annual service on their Boxster S?

With those recommended $55 windshield wiper blades (yes, I know how to replace my blades - but these are better) my nearby Porsche dealer wants over $500 for whatever he's planning to do.

Oh, that includes an oil change.

Just calibrating my oh-crap scale.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it yourself. Don't accept "packages" and "inspections"
Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I pay about $175 for an oil & filter change for my 997S or GT3 and to me that's well worth the trouble and the 8 quarts of oil. Just got my 2005 CPO Boxster S, and it just had the fluids changed, so I won't have to think about this for a while. These aren't inexpensive cars, nor is the service. If not happy with the dealer, find a certified independent in your area and get a price from them. At least with the dealer, you can drop the car off, take a loaner, and come back later to get your car. And you know that it's done right, warranty coverage is a given, and if they messed something up, they'll correct it.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:35 PM
vizsla_22
AutoX

I just did my 1 year service for my 2008 Boxster at the Auto Gallery in Southern California. Was charged/raped for $780 with nothing out of the ordinary like wiper blades.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:09 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Like Dertub said above, don't accept packages. I just go in once a year for an oil change. In SoCal, it's about $250. That's what I pay for my Cayenne S or 996 GT3 and I think that's pretty much the same for all late model Porsches except the Carrera GT.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 PM
randyb_boxster
Track Day

I realize having a regular shop change my oil or doing the oil change yourself is the best answer*. But I figure there may be some measurable resale value improvement if all the specified service is done and the stamps are in the book. I'd ask if buying used** and probably get some reassuring answer.

Thanks...still collecting data on what people pay.

*heard some horror stories about overfilling (no dipstick, you know).
**and hear "I only drive my precious garage queen on the weekends."

Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default A fully stamped book is nice, but the condition of the car when ...

Originally Posted by randyb_boxster
I realize having a regular shop change my oil or doing the oil change yourself is the best answer*. But I figure there may be some measurable resale value improvement if all the specified service is done and the stamps are in the book. I'd ask if buying used** and probably get some reassuring answer.

it is put on the used car market counts for more. After awhile no one cares about early services cause they're too far into the past to have much bearing on the car's value when you go to sell. (And falsifying service stamps has been known to occur in areas (UK) where service book stamps are looked upon as more important.)

Concentrate on services and vital fluid changes that give you peace of mind. and work to keep the car in good shape. Keep receipts so when you go to sell you can show you loved the car and gave it better than called for service. Taking care of little things and keeping receipts in another way. The thinking is if owner took care of trim or under body air dam damage etc that comes from normal wear/tear he took care of the bigger things too.

Also be sure you do enough to keep warranty in effect. This includes not only factory warranty but corrosion warranty and any other warranty that the car came with.

When I'd take my car in for service while still under warranty I'd go down the list of things that were included and scratch out the pure labor stuff like inspections. I kept a good eye on my car inside out and underneath and saw no reason to pay hours of very expensive labor costs to have mech do what I could and did do, still do.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by randyb_boxster

I agree. Which is why I bring my Porsches to the dealerships for oil change. In my case, I can do it myself which is what I do to my other cars (daily or less expensive) because when resale times come, I usually trade those in. The difference between is not that much on those. But if I ever decide to sell my 996 GT3, I am sure the difference between trading it in and selling it private party with service records will be quite a bit.

That said, like many have said above, I would not pay the dealer hundreds of dollars to check the fluids, the tire pressures, and what not. Paying $250 for an oil change is expensive but considering oil and parts alone is almost $100, its not too bad. Also, as long as you can provide the buyer the receipts, I believe that's enough. I doubt most buyer will actually look into the details of what was done at each visit
Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
BobZ
Advanced

To follow-up on the question, what about if you get a "Service Soon" or "Service Now" message? My '08 987S is a month away from 1 year in service - I think that a message will show up that only a dealer can reset, right? What I am getting at is if I get someone to do the oil change, or do it myself, how do I get the message cleared/reset other than going to the dealer?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Nick_USA
8th Gear

Either purchase a Durametric cable or find a friendly shop with a PIWIS
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
randyb_boxster
Track Day

Ahhh...the one month countdown.

Actually, the Porsche dealer locally has cleared service lights for free. Some independent shops have the ability to cancel warnings.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
BobZ
Advanced

Thanks all . So, should I expect to see some sort of "Service Soon" message in the near future? In-service date was 2/29/08 and about 2800 miles to date.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 PM
randyb_boxster
Track Day

It actually will count down days. Then, I think it says "Service Now" or something more immediate on that date.

Helpful German efficiency, but in a way, also annoying.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
BobZ
Advanced

Thanks, I should be getting the service message soon I guess.

I found a place here in Florida, Kennedy Motorsports near Daytona, that will do a Mobil 1 oil change for $135, parts & labor included, as well as reset any messages. And I checked with Brumos Porsche - $175 for the same oil change if I supply the oil/filter, etc.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

What's this annual maintenance? Unless you are reaching the mileage levels requiring service, Porsche recommends minor service in year 2, 6, 10 etc., and major at 4, 8, 12. Is this annual maintenance something the Dealer says that you require? Having an unnecessary annual maintenance won't hurt anything but your pocketbook.

Quick Reply: 1st year service @ 1 yr./12k - Boxster $