Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

placing an order for a 987s -- couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
Default placing an order for a 987s -- couple questions

I searched for an hour or so... Thanks for any input.

We sketched out an order for a 987s today @ the dealer. Pretty lightly optioned:
- bose
- sport seats
- windstop
- 18" cayman wheels
- pasm
- xenons
... I think that's it.
Arctic/Black, by the way.

There are a few things I'm obsessing over:
1) wheels. I think I'm going to stick with 18s. My '03 996 was rough w/18s (almost went w/17s on that car), and 19s just sounds like too much wheel for this car. My question is really about weight:
** does anyone have a handy table showing thew weight of the available wheels for this car? I particularly want to be sure that the Cayman wheels aren't strangely heavier than the Boxster S mini-lobster-forks **
2) anything negative on the PASM? I like to keep my cars simple. The attraction of the PASM is really: lower ride height, and it's the only real sport suspension option for this car. I did ROW M030 on my 911 -- but there doesn't seem to be anything similar available for this car.

Finally, any pointers to active forums for the 987? Seems like the Cayman community might be interesting too? Maybe a bit more sport oriented?

Thanks,
Scott.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With PASM you can go to 19 inch wheels and not have a problem. Carrera Sport 19" wheels, are the best looking, IMHO!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

If you search the 997 board you'll find wheel weights...the 19s do not ride too rough on the 987 as it was designed for that size wheel and side wall - although "rough" is very subjective of course. I knocked 4lbs a corner off the wheels with forged Champion models...as I recall rears are about 25 and fronts 23 (in 987 sizes).

I would have chosen PASM to lower the ride height, but I purchased a car from my local dealer's lot. I haven't heard of any failures or issues - again, search the 997 archives. I will tell you that the stock non-PASM suspensin on the S is very firm with 19s.

Porsche Pete's boxster board still get the most action in my experience, although I am a long time Rennlist member and fan.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I support your choice of the the 18" Cayman S wheels. In my opinion, the most functional option of all is PASM; it works well on road or track. It's self-adjusting firmness feature is particularly impressive.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:01 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I support your choice of the the 18" Cayman S wheels. In my opinion, the most functional option of all is PASM; it works well on road or track. It's self-adjusting firmness feature is particularly impressive.
Originally Posted by Renn 951
With PASM you can go to 19 inch wheels and not have a problem. Carrera Sport 19" wheels, are the best looking, IMHO!

Yeah, I've been drooling over your car. Stop it

Do you have PASM? It it comfortable on rough pavement? I'm thinking that the 18s would give me just a little more "give" on the rough stuff, and the ultimate grip should be equivalent to the 19s (same width tires).
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Thanks Jim, and Chris too!

I'm thinking the Cayman S 18s are a little "chunkier" than the standard 987S wheels. They had them on the boxster on the showroom floor and it looked pretty good. Also looks like they provide a bit more curb-rash protection...

FWIW, looks like the weight of the Cayman and Box S 18s is nearly identical.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're right about the CS and BS 18" wheels weighing about the same. The Carrera S wheels pictured are actually wider (8.5 and 10") than the other 19" Porsche wheels (8 and 9.5"), but they are also heavier and more expensive. My preference for autocrossing and tracking would be the 8.5 and 10" widths, but in 18" diameter forged wheels.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

I have 19's on my non S Boxster and they're not rough at all. Car looks so cool with 19's.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:29 PM
mikejohn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Excellence Magazine did a comparison about two years ago and concluded the 18" wheels with PASM was the best performing option. I personally think the 18" Cayman S wheel looks much better than the 18" Boxster S wheel. Going to 19" wheels is really mostly an aesthetic decision versus cost. I think the PASM will give you a softer ride with any wheel size in the normal mode. I don't think many people use the sport mode. It like wheel upgrades are expensive options. Depending on how you drive you may find the 18" wheels without PASM works great for alot less money.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Yeah, I've been drooling over your car. Stop it

Do you have PASM? It it comfortable on rough pavement? I'm thinking that the 18s would give me just a little more "give" on the rough stuff, and the ultimate grip should be equivalent to the 19s (same width tires).
Yes, I have PASM. There's no question that 18" with PASM should be a little softer ride than 19" with PASM. I wouldn't call it "comfortable" on rough pavement, but it's not bad at all. 19" with PASM should be comparable to 18" without.

I do like the Cayman 18" wheels - simple 5 spoke design and easy to keep clean. That would have been my first choice until I actually saw the 19" Carrerra Sports on a Boxster S, and then I knew I just had to have them!

Old 10-01-2007, 04:26 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Yes, I have PASM. There's no question that 18" with PASM should be a little softer ride than 19" with PASM. I wouldn't call it "comfortable" on rough pavement, but it's not bad at all. 19" with PASM should be comparable to 18" without.

I do like the Cayman 18" wheels - simple 5 spoke design and easy to keep clean. That would have been my first choice until I actually saw the 19" Carrerra Sports on a Boxster S, and then I knew I just had to have them!

So now the purist and poseur halves of my brain are at war. Not sure who's going to win. Typically the purist wins at first, but ultimatley the poseur takes over later on and costs me more money over time

I also tend to be a real freak when it comes to wheel weight. The 18s are clearly the lighter option, but not by much. Looks like most of the 19s are equivalent from the POV of weight, with the lobster forks and the turbos having a slight edge.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

About seven or eight years ago Road & Track had an interesting aricle on performance versus wheel size. I believe they tested a 3 series with wheel sizes ranging from 16 - 19 inches. I've been looking for the dam article for quite some time but can't find it. If anyone has it, I believe that it would be interesting to post their results.

My recollection is that the 3 series had its best track performance with the 17" wheels. 19s look the best but it stands to reason that you'll get the a more comfortable ride with a 17" wheel than with 19". On a tangential issue I noticed that my 987 Boxster has developed no squeaks or rattles with the 17" wheels whereas my M3 with 19" was always developing squeaks and rattles.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
redwarrior
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s

There are a few things I'm obsessing over:
1) wheels. I think I'm going to stick with 18s. My '03 996 was rough w/18s (almost went w/17s on that car), and 19s just sounds like too much wheel for this car. My question is really about weight:
** does anyone have a handy table showing thew weight of the available wheels for this car? I particularly want to be sure that the Cayman wheels aren't strangely heavier than the Boxster S mini-lobster-forks **
2) anything negative on the PASM? I like to keep my cars simple. The attraction of the PASM is really: lower ride height, and it's the only real sport suspension option for this car. I did ROW M030 on my 911 -- but there doesn't seem to be anything similar available for this car.

Finally, any pointers to active forums for the 987? Seems like the Cayman community might be interesting too? Maybe a bit more sport oriented?

Thanks,
Scott.
1. The 18's will give a better ride over the 19's.
2. No negatives on the PASM it is a must. You will get a guicker throttle response when the PASM is active and is great to have if you ever track your car.

Cayman community? Caymanclub.net

Good luck and enjoy your new car.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redwarrior
2. No negatives on the PASM it is a must. You will get a guicker throttle response when the PASM is active and is great to have if you ever track your car.
No, PASM really has nothing to do with throttle response. And it is always "active." I think you're confusing it with the "sport" button that comes with the Sport Chrono option, which provides a different throttle map. Not more power, just more response from a given amount of throttle input.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Originally Posted by redwarrior
1. The 18's will give a better ride over the 19's.

Cayman community? Caymanclub.net

Good luck and enjoy your new car.
Wow, caymanclub.net is pretty impressive. I'd love to find something similar for boxsters. Maybe I'll hang out at cayman.net and act like I have a cayman. Given that the '07+ Boxsters have the same engines, they're getting pretty close in spec

Quick Reply: placing an order for a 987s -- couple questions