Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown 987 Base Boxster engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:54 PM
NYSpeedRacer84
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown 987 Base Boxster engine

6,000 miles later as I was waiting on the line at the Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge, my engine started to make this tin can rattling noise. I pulled over and discovered that nothing was wrong, as I got back into my car and continue on I noticed that the noise continued and it was even louder. Furthermore, I discovered a patch of motor oil where I once was. I got out to investigate and that's when the entire engine dumped it's motor oil on the side of the road. It doesn't look like it was leaking from the bottom rather it was the top. It was dark so it was pretty hard to determine anything.

Prior to my engine blowing up the oil level was fine as was my engine temperature. There was no CEL light or any lights for that matter. Any suggestions on what may have happened to my engine? It's a 987 Base Boxster with about 33k miles. Like I said, it went through a tough 6,000 miles this past week. The car was part of the AKA Rally. Furthermore, the car went excess of 150mph at Bonneville Salt Flats, but that was over 3,000 miles ago....Any suggestions? before the dealership opens up on Monday? Would this be covered under warranty? and if not why wouldn't it be?

Anything would help as this is my second Porsche, so I'm not exactly an expert.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Why not just have a quick look and see where the oil leak is. Them maybe take some pics and post them. Its a lot easier to diagnose a problem when there is some reference to where the problem might be.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

They'll probably do a DME download and see what went wrong. If you have no evidence of over revs, I don't see why it wouldn't be covered by warranty. Good luck.

Last edited by fast1; 07-22-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:25 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like intermediate shaft failure. Assuming you don't have a bunch of over revs it should be covered under warranty. Is the car an 05? Assuming it is, the intermediate shaft has since been redesigned.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

PTEC,
When was the intermediate shaft redesigned and do you know what they did?
Close to a 987 and looking at the 05 and 06. That would make it easier if I know one had the IS redesigned.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:41 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Nope I don't have any idea and as far as I know Porsche has never released any information when the latest style was introduced. Safest bet is to buy the latest one you can afford but to tell you the truth it really doesn't even matter. Its not that common. Even if it does happen, car goes into the shop for a few days and you get it back with a fresh new engine installed for free.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

PTEC,
I think I remember that around the third week of May in 05 the newly designed seals were fitted for the new 987's. I got that from either this board or PPBB.
Not sure why I did not remember that in my first post but must be my age. Any work that is done in that area will warrant replacing with the new type seals. I had been looking at new and only lately been looking at a year or two older to take advantage of the depreciation. Given that, I was trying to figure what has changed since the 987's were introduced. Not easy to find...
Old 07-27-2007, 04:50 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Yes the rear main seal was updated sometime in mid 05. That information on when that was introduced is readily available if you find the bulletin for the new PTFE seals. However there is no information on when the new intermediate shaft was introduced. I tried looking in PET and it shows different part numbers for the shaft, the flange and the nut but strangely enough it doesn't give any details on when to order which one. Anyways if your engine has an old style rear main and it leaks, yes they will replace it with the updated style rear main but you're still going to have the old style intermediate shaft/flange and nut.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Word from UK Porsche mags is Porsche updated intermediate shaft ...

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
PTEC,
When was the intermediate shaft redesigned and do you know what they did?
Close to a 987 and looking at the 05 and 06. That would make it easier if I know one had the IS redesigned.
went to larger bearing, different chain drive (which results in the crankshaft being different too), sometime in MY 2002, so this was for the 968.

I've not come across anything that indicates Porsche has updated the intermediate shaft since this time for the 987 or Cayman or 997 engines.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macster
went to larger bearing, different chain drive (which results in the crankshaft being different too), sometime in MY 2002, so this was for the 968.

I've not come across anything that indicates Porsche has updated the intermediate shaft since this time for the 987 or Cayman or 997 engines.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Correct, they did change it back then. There is technical information documenting that change. However, good luck finding anything that says that they changed it recently. All you have to do is take a look at the new style intermediate shaft nut from the flywheel side on the new engines. Its clear as day.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:03 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Any suggestions? before the dealership opens up on Monday? Would this be covered under warranty? and if not why wouldn't it be?

No updates?

Quick Reply: Blown 987 Base Boxster engine