Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Disabling PASM with No Faults or DTC's.**

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **Disabling PASM with No Faults or DTC's.**

Moton Suspension Technology was kind enough to donate a double adjustable coilover suspension for our new AWE Tuning 997TT project car. However, one roadblock was holding us up, the PASM. Moton does not make an interactive shock so some trickery was going to need to be done.

If you did not know, once you disconnect the wire at the shock a fault light and annoying beep will appear on the dash. This was totally unacceptable. We wanted to find a way to have our cake and eat it too.

We did not get discouraged. We began contacting all of our sources in the States and Germany trying to find a solution. Nobody seemed to know what to do. Even our best contacts at H&R were unsure.

Last week while at the go-kart track, I ran into one of the dealer technicians from Brandywine Porsche. I have met many of their staff, but not Kevin Hines. He and I began to chat and I told him the problem we were having with the suspension. With great confidence he assured me it could be done somehow. He thought about it for a few days and gave me a call. He told me to stop down on Saturday with the car.

After about an hour of, he did it.

Kevin completed the job just as he said. No fault lights or DTC's! The car is no longer looking for the PASM module. It's as if it does not exist.

Now that this is done, we will schedule our car's Moton install. Finally!

Once again, thanks Kevin. You lived up to your promise.

Some of you are probably wondering why this is such a big deal to us. Well, many of our clients either race or are very serious about track days. Even with PASM, the car will be handicapped in extreme track conditions with the stock spring/shock package.

To get to the next level you will need to replace the dampers. We want to be able to offer upgrades, but without a pesky beep and fault light on the dash.

For those of you interested in the disable procedure, please download this PDF.

http://awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/AWE_...ASM_Delete.pdf

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Last edited by Mike/A.W.E.; 01-22-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have been looking for this since last year, thank you
Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
I have been looking for this since last year, thank you
Please tell me how you make out.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:12 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Frankly, I wish I could. Last year I could not find a solution, I wrote to various people including PCA and Rennlist; and eventually gave up and did not change my suspension. Now, I am trying to spec new springs to fit onto the stock shocks. During cornering and braking the car dives and leans too much; especially under hard trail braking. So, I am thinking of custom (steel unfortunately; otherwise too expensive) springs.

What would you think of 63-65 Nm front and 77-80 Nm rear springs that are shorter by 25 mm front and 20 mm rear? I am fairly certain that front springs can be supported by PASM shocks but not so sure of rear shocks; I don't have shock dyno chart with scales shown.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,747 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Frankly, I wish I could. Last year I could not find a solution, I wrote to various people including PCA and Rennlist; and eventually gave up and did not change my suspension. Now, I am trying to spec new springs to fit onto the stock shocks. During cornering and braking the car dives and leans too much; especially under hard trail braking. So, I am thinking of custom (steel unfortunately; otherwise too expensive) springs.

What would you think of 63-65 Nm front and 77-80 Nm rear springs that are shorter by 25 mm front and 20 mm rear? I am fairly certain that front springs can be supported by PASM shocks but not so sure of rear shocks; I don't have shock dyno chart with scales shown.
toaster, what you need are my moton CS.
PM me.
it's off my car and sitting in the garage.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Mooty:

I noticed it, believe me I am so tempted and I am trying to stay off that thread. My issue is that I have few investments (time and money) coming up around late spring/early summer that have a lot of unknowns, hence risk. I am trying to stay conservative; otherwise I would have called you the minute you had posted the sale

I hope someone grabs it soon, otherwise I know I will be in trouble. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Mooty:

I noticed it, believe me I am so tempted and I am trying to stay off that thread. My issue is that I have few investments (time and money) coming up around late spring/early summer that have a lot of unknowns, hence risk. I am trying to stay conservative; otherwise I would have called you the minute you had posted the sale

I hope someone grabs it soon, otherwise I know I will be in trouble. Good luck.
I am going to have to agree with mooty. You start playing with rates, you should get an adjustable shock that is designed for just that.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the "fix", Mike, and thanks to Kevin for finding it.

That's quite an interesting little set of hoops to jump through to disable that "option". I wonder what other little on-off functions are hidden in the computer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember reading many years ago about G-Tech cracking the code for the Toyota MR2 Turbo's ECU. The US-market cars were sold with a mere 5 or 6 psi of boost - but every ECU had locked-out maps for 10 and 15 psi.

Quick Reply: **Disabling PASM with No Faults or DTC's.**