Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just traded my cayman S for a 997 C2S...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 AM
grizzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the PDE last week as was really impressed by the boxster, boxster S and cayman s--the cars really tear it up and handle like a go-kart-
But the prestige is owning a 997(911) and the hp doesnt hurt but depending on the track it would be tough to beat any of the three.
Side note we took a hot lap in a cayenne turbo s and it was only a FEW mph slower than 997 c2s which is scary-- but during a race--these minute differences mean losing or podium
Everyday it doesnt really matter
Mike
Old 03-19-2007, 12:40 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't forget brake wear on that Cayenne Turbo!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by HHANS951
We just finished our first Cayman S with RUF Kompressor and Coilover Suspension, i can assure that setup is capable of taking on any GT3, extremely impressive
I'll back this statement up as well (very nice RUF Cayman btw) affirming that our own 3.8 X-51 Cayman is an absolute terror on the street and on the track....there's simply no denying the benefits of the mid engine chassis (when properly setup including with the right suspension). And although our current PSS9 coil over setup is "very good" the potential of the Cayman chassis is not nearly tapped so a move to Moton's is planned to attain the additional balance we know is there. The future of Porsche is going to be this platform whether it ultimately becomes the 911 or not....it's only a matter of time.

Interestingly, in all this talk about power comparisons, there's been no mention of the true limiting factor (deliberate from Porsche so as not to have the Cayman performance encroach on the flagship 911)...even stock to stock, it's not the engine but instead the open diff. This car needs an LSD be it base 2.7 or otherwise. It's ridiculous the Porsche didn't give it one from go....very transparent marketing blunder if you ask me.
Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by Mind Over Motorsports

Interestingly, in all this talk about power comparisons, there's been no mention of the true limiting factor (deliberate from Porsche so as not to have the Cayman performance encroach on the flagship 911)...even stock to stock, it's not the engine but instead the open diff. This car needs an LSD be it base 2.7 or otherwise. It's ridiculous the Porsche didn't give it one from go....very transparent marketing blunder if you ask me.
Are you saying that you feel the Cayman needs the LSD even more so then the 997S which doesn't have one either? One thing I love about my E46 M3 is the LSD, it makes a huge difference IMO. I find it strange that Porsche offers an LSD option on the regular 997s in Europe but not over here unless you get the GT3 or Turbo (as an option though).
Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moderato
Are you saying that you feel the Cayman needs the LSD even more so then the 997S which doesn't have one either? One thing I love about my E46 M3 is the LSD, it makes a huge difference IMO. I find it strange that Porsche offers an LSD option on the regular 997s in Europe but not over here unless you get the GT3 or Turbo (as an option though).
I think your comment on the M3 answered your question also. Any sports purpose car would benefit from an LSD and Porsche should (and probably will soon) offer LSD as an option in the US on 997/S non GT models. Some would argue though that track use aside it's not really necessary but even moderate to aggressive street driving would absolutely notice the difference. To your point and specific to this discussion, the fact that the Cayman is down on power relative to the 997 and that Porsche specifically markets the car with an emphasis on handling (AND given that every major magazine road test proclaims the chassis to be brilliant BUT not nearly reaching it's potential), then an LSD should be a no brainer IMO. Prior to the Cayman's debut, there were stories circulating that the engineers wanted and LSD but marketing said no to protect the 911's status. An LSD would close the gap even further even with 30-60hp less!

Consider the Top Gear lap time test results link below. Note where the Cayman time is relative to the 997 S AND even the GT3. The base Cayman was faster around their test track WITHOUT an LSD. Would have been even higher up the board with one and that's only the base non "S" model. Go figure.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/
Old 03-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by Mind Over Motorsports
I think your comment on the M3 answered your question also. Any sports purpose car would benefit from an LSD and Porsche should (and probably will soon) offer LSD as an option in the US on 997/S non GT models. Some would argue though that track use aside it's not really necessary but even moderate to aggressive street driving would absolutely notice the difference. To your point and specific to this discussion, the fact that the Cayman is down on power relative to the 997 and that Porsche specifically markets the car with an emphasis on handling (AND given that every major magazine road test proclaims the chassis to be brilliant BUT not nearly reaching it's potential), then an LSD should be a no brainer IMO. Prior to the Cayman's debut, there were stories circulating that the engineers wanted and LSD but marketing said no to protect the 911's status. An LSD would close the gap even further even with 30-60hp less!

Consider the Top Gear lap time test results link below. Note where the Cayman time is relative to the 997 S AND even the GT3. The base Cayman was faster around their test track WITHOUT an LSD. Would have been even higher up the board with one and that's only the base non "S" model. Go figure.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/
With the new DI engines coming soon if they also included LSDs with that on the 997's and Caymans, that would probably pursuade me to sell my M3.

Quick Reply: Just traded my cayman S for a 997 C2S...